Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 9th May 2010, 23:19   #1
BANNED

Default 2001 Deawoo Matiz Modifications- Help needed

We own a 2001 Matiz, run 47K kms all these years.

The car is totally stock including the PDI stickers in the car.

Is a wonderful machine, We adore it, and it will remain with us for the rest of its life, like the other cars at home.

My and my Bro are thinking of making the car a bit easier to drive with few modifications.

1) Power Steering :- SD model, hence no power steering, Any one can guide me where i can get a brand new kit for installation. I know many in Shivajinagar Gujri. Need to get a Brand New kit, so kindly advice.

2) Automatic Transmission :- I know, Matiz never came as Auto., But anyone with technical knowledge would need to really convince me if its IMPOSSIBLE.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 00:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
2) Automatic Transmission :- I know, Matiz never came as Auto., But anyone with technical knowledge would need to really convince me if its IMPOSSIBLE.
I can see in South Korea, lots of Matiz parked in neighbourhood with Autobox. In Indian they have not given option of Autobox.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 08:21   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
I can see in South Korea, lots of Matiz parked in neighbourhood with Autobox. In Indian they have not given option of Autobox.
Hi buddy, i had heard about this.

One small or rather a BIG favour needed.

If you are still in south korea, could you find out at what price can i get hold of the Autobox kit.

I dont mind importing them. Hope i dont sound stupid.....??
Old 10th May 2010, 09:22   #4
BHPian

Quote:
We own a 2001 Matiz, run 47K kms all these years.

1) Power Steering :- SD model, hence no power steering, Any one can guide me where i can get a brand new kit for installation. I know many in Shivajinagar Gujri. Need to get a Brand New kit, so kindly advice.

These 2 things were exactly what I was missing in my good ol' trusty Zen as well.

To cut a long story short, it is better IMO if you switch/upgrade to a car which has these 2 features factory fitted.

People weren't sounding truly 'convincing enough' of doing these 2 modifications in a Zen (Maruti) - what with all the availability of parts and service options.

In a Daewoo, I wouldn't even think about it. Keep the car stock if you want it to be as reliable as it is right now.

And even if you have a workshop/mechanic who says things will be fine - take it with a pinch of salt.
PS/Autobox are huge things you are doing to that car.

Look for a good Used Santro AT.

Last edited by jigbarai : 10th May 2010 at 09:23.
jigbarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 10:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Why don't you shop around the used parts yards, am sure you will get the power steering kit easily?
hvkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 10:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi buddy, i had heard about this.

One small or rather a BIG favour needed.

If you are still in south korea, could you find out at what price can i get hold of the Autobox kit.

I dont mind importing them. Hope i dont sound stupid.....??
Sure, I will try to find out contacts about Matiz Autobox in Korea. I will update you soon.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 13:37   #7
CPH
BHPian

Don't bother converting it. There is much more to it than in the old days.

You will throw the car in the bin with the problems you are going to face when you are in the middle of the attempt.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 19:41   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
These 2 things were exactly what I was missing in my good ol' trusty Zen as well.

To cut a long story short, it is better IMO if you switch/upgrade to a car which has these 2 features factory fitted.

People weren't sounding truly 'convincing enough' of doing these 2 modifications in a Zen (Maruti) - what with all the availability of parts and service options.

In a Daewoo, I wouldn't even think about it. Keep the car stock if you want it to be as reliable as it is right now.

And even if you have a workshop/mechanic who says things will be fine - take it with a pinch of salt.
PS/Autobox are huge things you are doing to that car.

Look for a good Used Santro AT.
Power steering options came in the SE model for the Matiz, so new GM kits are still available at around 25- 35 K.

I dont think, Power steering is a bad idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Why don't you shop around the used parts yards, am sure you will get the power steering kit easily?
Yes, i found 2 used kits, in fairly good conditions at parts yard today.

Good parts and priced well at 14K per unit (Full Kit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Sure, I will try to find out contacts about Matiz Autobox in Korea. I will update you soon.
That would be a great favour you would be doing to me, thank you buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
Don't bother converting it. There is much more to it than in the old days.

You will throw the car in the bin with the problems you are going to face when you are in the middle of the attempt.
I've done unthinkable modifications on a M-800.

Zen coil spring suspension on my M-800 installed. 1 year later, Maruti comes with similar set-up. TAKE THAT.

Closed ratio gear box, catapulting the mid range speed closer to a Zen. None have tried this so far, Our T-BHP member 14000rpm tasted my M-800's capability once on a open stretch of road. His 1.1 Alto lagged miles behind.

Nothing's impossible.