Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 10th May 2010, 13:15   #1
BHPian

Default Upgrade from Safari to Sierra?

This is mostly a hypothetical question, what if I was to sell my 2008 2.2 Safari (Which i love) and replace it with a banged up old Sierra to pimp up from scratch, within the budget of the safari sale i would have to buy a small car for the mrs, but not too small.

After viewing the Sierras owners section i feel i could do a lot with the sierra, i still feel older cars are better as they are less complicated. Here are two Sierra's that have given me some inspiration.

The red one, he's changed the front end, maybe after seeing his car in the weird and wacky section, the Safari lights/grill and bonnet give the vehicle another dimension, in a good way, the orange one with the gull wing doors is also well executed, the rear looks like a mitsubishi (I forget the model, but used to love the car when i was in the Uk)

More ideas to follow,

Cheers,

Stefan
Attached Thumbnails
Upgrade from Safari to Sierra?-sierra1.jpg  

Attached Images

stefanm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 14:15   #2
BHPian

Holy mother!!!

stefan I guess this is an infatuation with the modified sierras and you will ultimately get bored with that kind of a ride.
My take:
Stick to your safari.Nothing can give you more satisfaction
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 14:21   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi stefan,I would reccomend you not look at these rides,I am sure your safari is anyday a better ride from these cheapstake mods to attract the customers,IMHO it will be a waste of time and monies.
ramie2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 19:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

You want to sell your 2008 2.2 Safari and pimp a Sierra? I think you are kidding!! I cant even think of it.
Latheesh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 19:27   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Stefan : irrespective of you selling your Safari ... If you ever do something like that with a Sierra (or any other car), I Hope you know where we'll all meet ? In the Wierd & Whacky Mod jobs thread.

Please, do not go back in time. Upgrade - sidewards, upwards, anything. Anything but the old Sierra. If you want one, then pls wait for TM to come out with a new edition Sierra .. like many other would like to see something like that actually happen.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 20:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

Stefan, i think you should pose your question in the "downshifting" thread, now whatever made you consider a shift from safari to sierra?
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 20:36   #7
BHPian

Ok guys, good inputs, like i said it's purely hypothetical, what would i benifit from this?
1) I could get 2 cars, one for me and one for the mrs
2) I can fully customize a car from the ground up
3) Practicality, i could make it a 2 seater pick up, which suits my purpose, as i carry a silly amount of expensive and some unavailable tools in my car daily
4) With a pick up i can fabricate a rolling shutter for the load area and lock up my tools, out of sight out of mind, save me constant whinning from the wife(Instead she'll find another topic!)

That said, i would require to do silly amount of work if i was to do this project, firstly engine and gearbox would have to be swapped, i don't mean plonk in a common rail etc, just a more powerfull TDI engine and a descent gearbox, a respectable amount of power is whats required, next the suspension & steering would have to be reworked better shcks/springs/anti roll bars/ strut brace etc, the stock vehicle doesn't inspire, handling should be on par with the like of a Safari and there should be less play in the steering, other than that battery and ac would require upgrading, interiors would require some fabrication especially door pads, bodywork, wheels,tyres, ice(from my Safari, would sound better in a fully customised ride) I have probably missed a few things, but thats a lot of stuff, i'm not talking of a make over, i talking body off the ladder frame. develope that side first that would be the most important.

Is it worth it? definatly not financialy, modding cars always give a big loss, unless you get lucky when you sell on.

Would i undertake such a project? 50/50 is my answer, it's nice to have exclusivity, that's why mercs are popular over here, despite being twice the price they are worth.

Cheers,

Stefan
Old 10th May 2010, 21:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ok. when I read this i thought you wrote wrong, where you intended to say you wanted to change from a Sierra to a Safari.

But, when I read it, I kinda thought you have been smelling a lot of fuel / turpentine lately.

Please for heaven sake, a Sierra, can never be close to what a Safari is. People admire and respect the Safari. Did someone convince you into this idea or I am not sure how you grew this strange liking.

Forget it bro, keep the Safari, slap yourself a couple of times and wake up from the bad dream
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 22:06   #9
BHPian

I kind of like the idea. And that orange sierra is beautifully done up.
If you have a good mechanic who can execute all this, I say go ahead with it.
Just remember:
1. When you sell the car, dont expect any pay back for the mods. The car will be sold as scrap.
2. Be ready for some surprises and workshop visits. After all its a decade old car.
3. Set aside about 50k for unexpected breakdowns.
4. Mods dont come cheap.
Cost of Sierra + Alloys + Tires + paint + Pick up Conversion + Engine Swap + New small car >> (read much greater than) Resale of 2008 Safari.
It will be an interesting project.
akshaymahajan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 22:42   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
I kind of like the idea. And that orange sierra is beautifully done up.
If you have a good mechanic who can execute all this, I say go ahead with it.
Just remember:
1. When you sell the car, dont expect any pay back for the mods. The car will be sold as scrap.
2. Be ready for some surprises and workshop visits. After all its a decade old car.
3. Set aside about 50k for unexpected breakdowns.
4. Mods dont come cheap.
Cost of Sierra + Alloys + Tires + paint + Pick up Conversion + Engine Swap + New small car >> (read much greater than) Resale of 2008 Safari.
It will be an interesting project.
Why 50k on breakdowns? i'm talking reworking the car from the ground up, with forthought, planning and execution, it should be all good from the start, just some suspension tweaks, i'm maybe too optomistic? small car=2nd hand car, buying new cars is a waste, especially given the way my wife parks, she is resonsible for 80% of the scratches on the Safari, the car is too big for a woman in Goa with our narrow roads imo, everytime i wash the car i get more upset. Best she has her own car!
Now the idea is to make the potential doner car fun to drive, with good characteristics and behaviour, note i use the word doner, i remember a few years back a friend's dad in the Uk had built a Dax Cobra replica based on an old Ford Cortina car which he picked up free of charge from scrap, he built a beauty of a car in 6months in his own garage and even done the painting (coachwork) himself, even used the doner cars engine, with a little bit of tuning and all to a reasonable budget, i believe he still has the car some 15 years later.