Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 18th October 2005, 11:14   #1
BHPian

Default Retractable rear sun screens

Hi,
As an alternative to sunfilm i'm interested to know about retractable screens for my NHC.
If any one in Bangalore is already using it, can you point me to any place where i can pick it up ?

Is there anything bad about using this screen? in terms of visibility to the driver?...obviously.. during the day!!
Neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 12:29   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

My C220 has a factory fitted rear retractable screen, and it is fabulous. Visibility is not at all an issue whether day or night. And this is with dark tints. The cabin cools up significantly faster with the screen up.

However, I wouldnt recommend an after-market fitment for the rear sunscreen.

GTO
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 15:24   #3
BHPian

what is the best alternative to sunfilm?? I have seen a few vacum based plastic's that do the job....but they look sick...
I just walked out and asked about the retracable screen at Hot Tracks...he said it would cost Rs. 1100/-.....
I have seen one on a Coroalla, not sure if it is standard Eq?

Neel
Neel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2005, 19:02   #4
Team-BHP Support

Post rear sun-blind

Neel:
what car are you planning to do this project on? depending on whether an electric sun blind is available for your particular car model, it'll be a simpler or tedious affair. are you planning to do the fixing yourself or get it done from a shop?
if you have a hatch-back, then this project isn't going to work, not without extensive modifications, and will turn out to be very expensive.
retro-fitting an electric sun blind isn't a bolt-on affair, even if the toy is available for your car. modifications need to be made - mechanical and electrical - and a lot of money will need to be spent.
modifications range from simple removal of the rear-seats and C-pillar trim, to re-desigining the rear shelf to compensate for the weight of the blind assembly (the assembly is very heavy).
electrical connections, however, will not be very complicated. expect a lot of trial and error runs though.
i've worked on this project earlier but haven't found the time to complete it yet though.
let me know if you wish to proceed - i'll try to help you out.
my recommendations - putting it bluntly - if your car isn't already fitted with one, then don't do it. it'll never work like you wan't it to and it'll break down all the time.
ad

ps. the same project would be much much simpler for the mechanical window sun-blinds but you'll need a good fabricator to design the thing for you. if you find one, you're all set.

Last edited by aah78 : 18th October 2005 at 19:05. Reason: modifying content
aah78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2007, 01:38   #5
BHPian

Please help this thread rejuvenate, i am also in search of such a thing after seeing it in a corolla.
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 08:46   #6
BHPian

If your living in Bombay, I know one shop which has the electronic one. Its the 1st shop in AUTO LANE, opera house... Next an energry milk stall... I cant remember the name... But hes the wholesaler in the market.. and I have seen it at this shop....
rdas45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2007, 12:14   #7
BHPian

Today i went to a shop at tvpm, they show me a retractable rear sunscreen. It is manual, and it costs rs 650. They informed me that it can be only fitted with sedan s and not estates, so i have to take my vehicle to check it.
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote