Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 30th May 2010, 20:37   #1
BHPian

Default 10 year old baby gets new jewellery!- My Zen and it's new white LED cabin light.

Hey guys!
So I went ahead and without much ado changed the puny stock yellow bulb that my 10 year old Zen had to bright white LEDs in the cabin light. This was my first attempt at LED lighting and everything went smooth, quite surprisingly. I am sorry I didn't take any installation pics but I have the results with me. Hope you like them.

What I did is, get the following-
12 white LEDs
4 56 Ohm resistors
1 small PCB

Total damage- Rs. 25 only

1. I have four rows of 3 LEDs and a 56 Ohm resistor each in parallel with each other.
2. All bulbs were first sanded with flint paper to allow for better dispersion of light.
3. Ohm's Law- V=IxR was used to calculate the value of resistor to be used.

And what inspired me to do this?
1. All the lighting threads here.
2. To vent out my frustration when I was offered Chinese LED lights of much lesser brightness for Rs. 350.

Well, even my dad is quite happy now!

Here are the pics. Keep in mind it is late evening and the car is parked under a shade.
10 year old baby gets new jewellery!- My Zen and it's new white LED cabin light.-dsc01523.jpg <a href=10 year old baby gets new jewellery!- My Zen and it's new white LED cabin light.-dsc01528.jpg <a href=10 year old baby gets new jewellery!- My Zen and it's new white LED cabin light.-dsc01525.jpg <a href=10 year old baby gets new jewellery!- My Zen and it's new white LED cabin light.-dsc01527.jpg <a href=10 year old baby gets new jewellery!- My Zen and it's new white LED cabin light.-dsc01531.jpg <a href=10 year old baby gets new jewellery!- My Zen and it's new white LED cabin light.-dsc01524.jpg <br />
P.S. I will change the dial colour next sunday. I need suggestions for a sporty colour LED. Please help guys. I am now totally into dressing up my baby for the night.</div>   <div style=

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 30th May 2010 at 20:41.
abhipuru16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 22:13   #2
BHPian

I've been thinking of adding in cabin lights to the present ones.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2010, 22:19   #3
BHPian

You mean replacing stock bulbs with LEDs right? Go ahead!
Old 31st May 2010, 09:32   #4
Senior - BHPian

I think he is talking about fixing additional cabin lights, and not changing the bulbs.

@Abhipuru16 - The car looks very nice! Why don't you change the bulbs of the dial to white as well?
lamborghini is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 10:18   #5
BHPian

@Lamborghini
Thanks a lot. And yes, I have to do it this coming sunday. Right now, I am looking for suggestions for which colour, you say white, let's see what others tell me and I shall decide. I was thinking about red, orange or white in my order of preference. I like the cool blue as well, but nowadays I spot blue LEDs so much that I think it would look quite common or maybe wannabe as well. Can you post some good pics of a few racing spec dials? I can't find anything good.

Keeping in mind the black interiors, which colour would look best?

EDIT- Someone on the forum said that the numbering on the dials has a green colour filter, is this filter removable?

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 31st May 2010 at 10:34.
Old 31st May 2010, 12:41   #6
BHPian

@abhipuru16 - Nice to see someone working on the Zen. Would love to see how the speedo looks with a different color. The cabin light looks real neat. But it doesn't seem to light up the cabin much. Is it because of the photograph? It would be real helpful if you have a picture of how to connect the LEDs up.
nithin_86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 13:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

Looks nice, I did the same thing, except I bought a small 24 led patch (6*4) or is it 16 (4*4) - will check this - that had to be hooked into the existing bulb holder. A very small DIY. And it has lit up the car like stadium lights and has a nice soothing file now. Pure white light, but I admit I got royaly ripped off on the price.

Paid Rs. 500 for it and few days later saw it on ebay for around 250.

Was really stupid, but just wanted it that day. Got in from a shop on Vittal Malya Road, just after the CCD outlet. Huge mistake, will never go to him again
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st May 2010, 15:39   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nithin_86 View Post
@abhipuru16 - Nice to see someone working on the Zen. Would love to see how the speedo looks with a different color. The cabin light looks real neat. But it doesn't seem to light up the cabin much. Is it because of the photograph? It would be real helpful if you have a picture of how to connect the LEDs up.
That is not the case. There is a world of difference in lighting compared to the stock setup. Even the rear passenger area is nicely lit up now. I am content.

Quote:
I bought a small 24 led patch (6*4) or is it 16 (4*4) - will check this
24 or 16 is too much for my model of Zen as the holder doesn't have that much of space. Even 12 is a tight fit and possibly the maximum number of bullet LEDs you can use. I used bullet type LEDs, were yours the mobile phone type? A picture would help a lot.

As regards to the circuitry, here it is-
10 year old baby gets new jewellery!- My Zen and it's new white LED cabin light.-led-cabin-light-circuitry.jpg   <div style=
Old 31st May 2010, 23:45   #9
BHPian

Yes I am looking for additional lights. reading lights in the back. for when I have homework.
wildsdi5530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 00:06   #10
BHPian

As I've already posted this, not less than 10 times in past and again i see people using less than 150ohm resistor, but this will certainly blow your L.E.D. in a few days of usage.

I've been using L.E.D. in car and home for a few years now, but using even a 100ohm is not going to make your 5mm L.E.D. last longer than a couple of month.
So use atleast 150 ohm, and better if you use 220ohm, it would make sure you don't need to poke into those lights atleast a couple of years.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 00:13   #11
BHPian

Okay, let me make a deal. If they work right for a week, I keep them as they are, or else I shall change the resistors to 150 Ohm.

If we keep the voltage drop across each LED as 3.6V and current as 25milliamperes, the resistor to be used comes around 48 Ohms I guess, so the nearest resistor has to be 56 Ohm. In using the 56 Ohm resistor, the current further reduces to 21.5 milliamperes. Is it a problem?

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 1st June 2010 at 00:19.
Old 1st June 2010, 02:09   #12
BHPian

it also depends on exactly what specs are your L.E.D.'s
In mine case, 5mm white normal/bullet shaped and 5mm with flat head(used in torch) were unable to work more than a month on 100ohm resistor, i tried them on quite a few places.

But it depends on used L.E.D., most shop keepers don't have tech specs for the l.e.d.
as they just buy the 1000 pack.
White l.e.d. are available in 3 different color tones and not less than 25 types.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2010, 07:37   #13
BHPian

1. Damn brother, you were right! One of the LED row, the fourth one has died, what do I do? Change all resistors to 220 Ohms in all four rows?

2. Wouldn't that decrease the brightness a lot?

4. Go through the above pic and recommend me a suitable resistor for the four rows. Please.

5. What should I consider as the supply voltage? 5V or 12V?

6. 180 Ohms would be fine?

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 1st June 2010 at 07:49.
Old 4th July 2010, 14:41   #14
BHPian

I changed the resistors to 180 Ohms and, it has been nearly a month now that they are working great. There is not much decrease in brightness. Very good. Thanks ghpk!
Old 4th July 2010, 16:19   #15
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic!! inspires me to try that on my Zen. Will try it this week. Any suggestions on what shops should i look for the parts i.e leds, pcbs, resistors etc ?
heavy_foot is offline   Reply With Quote