Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 27th October 2005, 16:03   #1

Post Which Gear Lock?

Hi,

Bought NHC Gxi this weekend. I'm looking for a good gear lock.

Had a look at one from Honda, but its ugly. It has a big black metal plate that sticks out vertically on passenger side.

The other one from AutoCop (pin type) was asthetically better, but locks only in reverse gear position. In Delhi, lot of times one has to leave car in parking with hand brake down and in neutral gear. So Autocop one wouldn't be a good option.

Please suggest me which brand/make to go for.

Vikas
vxbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 17:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

I know you said gear locks but I thought I would mentione that the alternative is to go for a steering wheel lock. If the car has an airbag then make sure you get one that is suitable.

One question why do you have to park with the hand brake down and in neutral ? Could some anti social person not push your car into an object or another vehicle ?

These gear locks and steering locks are just a visual deterrent. A determined/skilled thief can easily remove them regardless of what they say on the box.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 20:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxbansal
In Delhi, lot of times one has to leave car in parking with hand brake down and in neutral gear. Vikas

i have one question why do you park with the car in neutral and the hand brake down ??

Rev
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2005, 21:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revtech
i have one question why do you park with the car in neutral and the hand brake down ??

Rev

I guess i know the answer being another Delhite.

It is very difficult to find parking space anywhere in Delhi. Specially in crowded markets. So what the Parking attendents do, they park the vehicle in front of an already parked vehicle. So that if the old one wants to move out, the attendent can push your car away. Thats why they tell you to pull the hb down and gear in neutral (all because of pushing your car here and there to make way for incomng and outgoing cars)

About the gear lock thing, i already created a thread in Shifting gears about how my car was saved of theft due to the gear lock. I have Autocop central lock but that was hacked by thief easily. In the end it was the gear lock which saved my car.
I would definitly recommend the gear lock to anybody. Mine is Terminator (Autocop).
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2005, 10:28   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

After my Esteem with a working AutoCop got flicked from my house, I use a Kryptonite gear lock in all my cars. Its the 4-side key and very very effective.

Proof : Some idiot once shoved in chewing gum in the key hole, and there was no way the grip lock would open up with a key. So I called 3 mechanics who spent close to an hour trying to free my Jeep but of no avail. I had to wait until the next morning for a welder to cut the lock.

GTO
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2005, 12:47   #6
BHPian

Its advisable to have gear lock installed in reverse gear position and parking it with boot towards the wall, though can opt for any gear on which you want it to be installed. For parking issues in delhi, i don't think you will be able to use gear lock unless there's a fixed place. I also have the Terminator (Autocop), but not the pin type.

Tarun
Tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2005, 13:30   #7
BHPian

I have had installed an autocop PIN type Gear lock, works well for me..
But I do understand concern about leaving the car in neutral in parking lots in Delhi.. but if the parking lot is attended then chances of car theft are lower.. you need security when car is parked in unattended parking lot...

well I haven't and think will never give keys of my NHC to any parking attendants... they drive your car like crazy....
good luck on your new ride..cheers.
SaneOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st October 2005, 16:42   #8

Default Thanks

Thanks to all for invaluable suggestions. The moral of the story is to get it fitted ASAP. So here I go ...
vxbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 12:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

I'm planning to fit a Gear Lock for my 2004 Omni.

So which type & brand should I go for ? And what will be the total cost ?
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2006, 13:52   #10
BHPian

Question

Is the gear lock for a specific model of car? Or they work universally?
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 08:56   #11
Team-BHP Support

Thread moved from "Indian Car Scene" to "Modifications & Accessories", please post in the correct section.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 16:42   #12
Team-BHP Support

Lol Rehan... you just booted an old thread back in! It looks like a real old thread.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 00:12   #13
BHPian

Guys,
I need to fix gear lock in my Optra magnum. Is there anyone fixed one for Magnum? Please advice.
HotChillyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 00:54   #14
BANNED

fix a gear lock in you car the day you buy the car! buy the pin type which locks in the reverse gear. i think its by Autocop. cost around 1500 rs.

DONT LISTEN TO ANYONE WHO SAYS GEAR LOCKS ARE USELESS!
Parm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2008, 10:54   #15
Senior - BHPian

A couple of suggestions:

1. Go for the pin-type Autocop GL that locks in reverse gear position.
2. Always try to park your vehicle in reverse so that the boot faces the wall or any immovable object.
3. Never leave you car in neutral or with handbrake released in a parking lot. It shall be an effort but find a place where you can park and lock.
4. Never give car keys to parking attendant for parking or moving the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxbansal View Post
Hi,

Bought NHC Gxi this weekend. I'm looking for a good gear lock.

Had a look at one from Honda, but its ugly. It has a big black metal plate that sticks out vertically on passenger side.

The other one from AutoCop (pin type) was asthetically better, but locks only in reverse gear position. In Delhi, lot of times one has to leave car in parking with hand brake down and in neutral gear. So Autocop one wouldn't be a good option.

Please suggest me which brand/make to go for.

Vikas
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote