Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2014, 22:44   #301
BHPian
 
sabsubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 259
Thanked: 39 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I have been told that the ff50 provide a throw off 70 meters. Is that good enough? I could not get the numbers for 700ff. The 3003 extreme series are rated for an insane...hold your breath 190 meters! They also cost a cool 11k!
Hi Red Liner, I think 70 meters is very less. What do you think? I also read that FF50 is just a fog lamp. So would it be suitable for highway drives? Let me find out more details for 700ff.
sabsubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 06:30   #302
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,554 Times
Default Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Great, that seals it. Am getting the 50FF. Will still wait for your pictures this evening and get suitably wow'ed

Now to find these things in Bangalore.
Didn't get a chance yesterday.
Will put them up in a day or two.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 06:41   #303
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,193
Thanked: 1,119 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Hi Red Liner, I think 70 meters is very less. What do you think? I also read that FF50 is just a fog lamp. So would it be suitable for highway drives? Let me find out more details for 700ff.

you should see this:


The 700ff are pencil beams. The 50ff are not. They are more spread out and give you instant near visibility of the road and the corners. My biggest issue on highways has been my inability to see what is 30 meters ahead me under the bright glare of oncoming vehicles when they just pass me. Call them a 90/100 kit on steroids.

Last night in the city, my stock headlamps were absolutely ineffective. These aux lamps would have been very handy in the city, but wouldn't have killed oncoming cars or bikers.

700ff will scare oncoming violators. Will also attract more attention when parked. Is made in India and is priced at 3500 bucks. Honestly I hate these things.

50ff is fully imported from Germany and is priced at 7k. Is inconspicuous and does not attract attention. Is for near sighting and not for long distance throw. These are not pencil beams. See video above.

I would really like to see akshay4587s snaps to see if my thinking is correct.


Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Didn't get a chance yesterday.
Will put them up in a day or two.
Waiting with impatience! :-P
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 10:11   #304
BHPian
 
sabsubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 259
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The 700ff are pencil beams. The 50ff are not. They are more spread out and give you instant near visibility of the road and the corners. My biggest issue on highways has been my inability to see what is 30 meters ahead me under the bright glare of oncoming vehicles when they just pass me. Call them a 90/100 kit on steroids.
I came across 2 variants of FF50.

a. http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...ies/ff-50-fog/

b. http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...0-series/ff50/

One is FF50 and the other is FF-50-Fog. These two have different beam patterns. The second one has pencil beams and the first one is more spread.

If you read the specification, the beam pattern for the first is Fog and the for the second is driving. Is there a difference in FF50. Which one are we looking at now?

@akshay4587, which one did you install on your car.
sabsubs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 10:31   #305
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,193
Thanked: 1,119 Times
Default Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
I came across 2 variants of FF50.

a. http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...ies/ff-50-fog/

b. http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...0-series/ff50/

One is FF50 and the other is FF-50-Fog. These two have different beam patterns. The second one has pencil beams and the first one is more spread.

If you read the specification, the beam pattern for the first is Fog and the for the second is driving. Is there a difference in FF50. Which one are we looking at now?

@akshay4587, which one did you install on your car.
This is the one we're looking at for sure: http://www.myhellalights.com/index.p...0-series/ff50/

Because, thats the only one that comes in Blue! And only Blue's imported into India. Just an assumption now. A good way to reconfirm is to use the part number: 008283861

Now that you say this, I think the BMW is running on the 50FF Fog's and not the regular 50FF!

Picture 1: This is the lighting pattern of the 50FF.

Picture 2: Pattern of 50FF Fog (which is what the BMW has got I think)

Picture 3: 700FF pattern.

The principal issue with the 700 FF is that it will be mounted on the bumper and WILL affect oncoming traffic. Switching on/off these lamps every 5 odd minutes is not something I want to do on the highway.

The 50FF's will sit extremely low, within the bumper housing at about 1 foot from the ground, and hence will only light up the road and should not affect oncoming traffic.

I am also toying with the idea of throwing away the supposedly crap Hella wiring harness and relays which come appropriate for the 55w lamps, and get a 90/100 compatible Root's wiring harness and relay and upgrade to 100 watt bulbs for the 50FF. Would like to know if this should be okay.
Attached Images
   
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 11:14   #306
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,193
Thanked: 1,119 Times
Default Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

Okay, so apparently the roots relay will not work with these FF50's. Gawd. Let's see if the wiring and relays can handle the 100 watt bulbs. Maybe I'll even drive it stock for a while and see what happens first.
Red Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 22:19   #307
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,554 Times
Default

Took a few pictures of one of the 50FF's the one on the driver's side is out of focus.Will fix it over weekend.The Hella Experience - 500 FF-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400690842.398888.jpg
The Hella Experience - 500 FF-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400690888.481232.jpg
The Hella Experience - 500 FF-imageuploadedbyteambhp1400690932.981168.jpg



Sent from my iPhone using Team-BHP
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 22:35   #308
BHPian
 
sabsubs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 259
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Took a few pictures of one of the 50FF's the one on the driver's side is out of focus.
Thank you very much akshay4587. The light throw is very good. I will be mainly doing highway drives. So is FF50 more suitable for highways than 700FF? I am planning to get FF50 installed on Saturday so if you could confirm by then it would be very helpful. Thanks.
sabsubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2014, 23:30   #309
BHPian
 
batterylow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Driver seat!
Posts: 569
Thanked: 677 Times
Default Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Thank you very much akshay4587. The light throw is very good. I will be mainly doing highway drives. So is FF50 more suitable for highways than 700FF? I am planning to get FF50 installed on Saturday so if you could confirm by then it would be very helpful. Thanks.
I am also planning to install 700ff this weekend. Have been quoted 6200 for the lights and the wiring, the price does not include the clamps that have to be fabricated to mount the lights (650 rs max). So I should be looking at a total bill of close to 7 thousand including a pair of 100W osrams. My purpose is also highway drives so does 700ff make sense over 50ff?
batterylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 08:31   #310
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,554 Times
Default Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Thank you very much akshay4587. The light throw is very good. I will be mainly doing highway drives. So is FF50 more suitable for highways than 700FF? I am planning to get FF50 installed on Saturday so if you could confirm by then it would be very helpful. Thanks.
I have not used 700FF,but got 500FF on my Linea(Check few pages back you will find pics).700FF is just the bigger cousin of 500FF.On my highway drives i have found 500FF(with stock bulbs),just about adequate,nothing exceptional.
50FF's are way better than 500FF.
akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 13:15   #311
BHPian
 
batterylow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Driver seat!
Posts: 569
Thanked: 677 Times
Default Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I have not used 700FF,but got 500FF on my Linea(Check few pages back you will find pics).700FF is just the bigger cousin of 500FF.On my highway drives i have found 500FF(with stock bulbs),just about adequate,nothing exceptional.
50FF's are way better than 500FF.
Hello Akshay, from the pictures you have posted it looks like the 50FF mimic the spread of the high-beams. Would it not be redundant ? Please shed some "light".

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
BL
batterylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:09   #312
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,756
Thanked: 1,554 Times
Default Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterylow View Post
Hello Akshay, from the pictures you have posted it looks like the 50FF mimic the spread of the high-beams. Would it not be redundant ? Please shed some "light".

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
BL
Not in my case,since in the thar the headlamps are positioned high up.
Once i switch on all the lights,it pretty bright.Will try to post the image.
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:31   #313
BHPian
 
batterylow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Driver seat!
Posts: 569
Thanked: 677 Times
Default Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

That would be very kind of you akshay.

Thank you.
batterylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2014, 22:00   #314
Senior - BHPian
 
Red Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,193
Thanked: 1,119 Times
Default

Hella 50ff alone switched on. Am pretty stoked with these lights.
Attached Thumbnails
The Hella Experience - 500 FF-1401640209108.jpg  

Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2015, 17:32   #315
BHPian
 
Jaguar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 567
Thanked: 147 Times
Default Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

Reinstating an old thread. I dropped one of my 500FFs (yes dropped while removing it from the car) and broke it. Does anyone know where to get a single piece replacement? Even used one would do.

Or else, if anyone is looking for a single piece of 500 FF, they know whom to contact.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: Fixing the Hella Red Grill Horns abhipuru16 DIY - Do it yourself 5 30th April 2017 20:13
HELLA dealer / availability in India gbpscars Modifications & Accessories 35 1st March 2017 09:12
Hella develops LED HeadLamps Stratos Technical Stuff 19 31st October 2010 18:43
Bangalore Kanyakumari Rameshwaram Trichy Bangalore - One Hella Trip !!!!! lancersfx Travelogues 21 5th July 2010 14:01
Hella Auxillary Xenon Lamps Ajay Narayan Modifications & Accessories 7 9th June 2010 20:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks