Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2010, 23:41   #16
Distinguished - BHPian
 
dhanushs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bathery/BLR
Posts: 3,446
Thanked: 4,055 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Thanks Dhanushs,



The Ritz Diesel gives 14.6kmpl, The Ritz Petrol gives 11.8kmpl both in the city cycle as per AutoCar India June 2010.
My CNG powered Ritz is giving a little above 14.9 kilometers per kilo of CNG 100% a/c & 100% city.

Magley, these mileage figures look too low. my Ford IKON's worst mileage figures are 12-13kmpl. I get about 15kmpl average. Also I have many friends owning Ritz diesel, and almost all of them get an average of about atleast 19-20.

And magley, it seems that you have great experience using CNG vehicles. I wish you luck with this one too.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 00:30   #17
BHPian
 
maglev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 785
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Magley, these mileage figures look too low. my Ford IKON's worst mileage figures are 12-13kmpl. I get about 15kmpl average. Also I have many friends owning Ritz diesel, and almost all of them get an average of about atleast 19-20.

And magley, it seems that you have great experience using CNG vehicles. I wish you luck with this one too.

Well you do have a point there sir, since I or anyone in my immediate family has never owned a diesel car ever even my fathers Octavia is petrol powered one. I had to take the figures from AutoCar India.

Cheers
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 00:38   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
tsk13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,233
Thanked: 278 Times
Default

Finally, another car in your fleet goes green. Is the performance as of now better than other CNG driven vehicles which you've?
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 00:57   #19
BHPian
 
S.I.N.G.H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: new delhi
Posts: 365
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

first of all, congrats for such a neat setup. not many installers in delhi can do this kind of work. i must say that your hard work to search for the best kit and the best installer has paid off. even i have heard that Mr. Dutt is in the business for more than a decade.
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 01:03   #20
BHPian
 
maglev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 785
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
Finally, another car in your fleet goes green. Is the performance as of now better than other CNG driven vehicles which you've?

The best part about CNG is that the mileage in the city with 100% a/c has increased from 11-12km per litre of petrol to about 15km per kilo of CNG.

The difference in overall performance is not much, the acceleration has been affected but only slightly. On the contrary the car's idle and power delivery has become smoother.

I think that the above three things are happening due the higher octane rating of CNG.


I still haven't installed the Timing Advancing Processor (TAP), once that is done the performance would be as good as petrol and the mileage will further improve.
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 01:21   #21
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 573
Thanked: 49 Times
Default Is your spare wheel secured properly?

The quality of workmanship is indeed better than average. But is there any mechanism to secure the spare wheel or is it just sitting there? I ask because an unsecured spare wheel could prove fatal in the unfortunate circumstance of a high speed accident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Fouling of plugs is eliminated and plug life is enhanced as CNG does not contain any lead.
Sorry but we moved to unleaded petrol ages ago. Petrol today does not contain lead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
CNG enters the engine as gas while petrol comes in as spray or mist which washes down the lubricating oil from the piston ring area to raise the rate of engine depreciation.
Petrol is not injected directly onto the walls of the cylinder. And it vaporises at room temperature - forget about it being in a liquid state inside a running engine.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 01:46   #22
BHPian
 
maglev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 785
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
The quality of workmanship is indeed better than average. But is there any mechanism to secure the spare wheel or is it just sitting there? I ask because an unsecured spare wheel could prove fatal in the unfortunate circumstance of a high speed accident.

Sorry but we moved to unleaded petrol ages ago. Petrol today does not contain lead.

Petrol is not injected directly onto the walls of the cylinder. And it vaporises at room temperature - forget about it being in a liquid state inside a running engine.

The spare wheel is very secure in that position with only about a centimeter or so available for any movement, infact if my car would have been the top end ZXI variant then it would have become quite difficult to put the spare wheel in as it would be wider. To take care of this centimeter of space I have added a piece of cardboard between the gap, have a look:

Maruti Suzuki Ritz  Petrol to CNG conversion-16062010218.jpg


Your point about unleaded petrol is fully accepted, but I am a wee-bit doubtful about the other one.
The source of my information was this page: THE CNG OPTION have a look.



Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N.G.H View Post
first of all, congrats for such a neat setup. not many installers in delhi can do this kind of work. i must say that your hard work to search for the best kit and the best installer has paid off. even i have heard that Mr. Dutt is in the business for more than a decade.
Thanks mate!!




Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
Dude, what about the engine warranty? It is void now

Yes sir, the engine warranty is gone.

Last edited by maglev : 26th June 2010 at 02:04.
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 03:25   #23
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Seattle
Posts: 573
Thanked: 49 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
The spare wheel is very secure in that position with only about a centimeter or so available for any movement.
You misunderstood me - this is not what I meant by "secure".

In the unfortunate circumstance of a high speed accident, this spare wheel is a deadly projectile. It will move from its position (since it is not tied down to the body of the car anymore) and could rip thru the flimsy parcel tray and hit an occupant in the car. The spare wheel weighs several kilos and will cause grievous injury if it hits a person.

We talk about "safe" cars and then we alter them in such unsafe ways

To be very clear - I am not questioning the safety of installing CNG in the car. I am trying to tell you that passenger safety has been compromised by leaving a heavy object lying around in such a fashion.

Last edited by CrackedHead : 26th June 2010 at 03:29.
CrackedHead is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 03:35   #24
BHPian
 
maglev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 785
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
You misunderstood me - this is not what I meant by "secure".

In the unfortunate circumstance of a high speed accident, this spare wheel is a deadly projectile. It will move from its position (since it is not tied down to the body of the car anymore) and could rip thru the flimsy parcel tray and hit an occupant in the car. The spare wheel weighs several kilos and will cause grievous injury if it hits a person.

We talk about "safe" cars and then we alter them in such unsafe ways

To be very clear - I am not questioning the safety of installing CNG in the car. I am trying to tell you that passenger safety has been compromised by leaving a heavy object lying around in such a fashion.


Point taken I'll find out if something can be done so as to secure it, I remember seeing a WagonR at MASS. Whose spare wheel was secured by welding an additional angle bar onto the CNG cylinder's stand so as to secure the spare wheel.
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 04:58   #25
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Mumbai/BLR/USA
Posts: 928
Thanked: 190 Times
Default

Good to see a Eco friendly car, now with the recent petrol price hike it makes much more economics sense to go for CNG.

I hope the dealer has not cut corners during installation. Safety comes first while riding a gas fuel car. Do secure that spare tyre, its not secured safely, Cardboard pieces are not a solution.

I read somewhere that Maruti is coming up with factory fitted CNG cars soon.

With petrol prices going the freeway, we need better, cheaper, cleaner, economic options. Hope manufacturers take note.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2010, 07:10   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 703 Times
Default

they did a real tidy installation. Just one thing since the battery and the cng vaporizer & fuel filler valve are on the same side, please always ensure there are no loose connection's to cause spark.
manishalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 00:04   #27
BHPian
 
maglev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 785
Thanked: 88 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
they did a real tidy installation. Just one thing since the battery and the cng vaporizer & fuel filler valve are on the same side, please always ensure there are no loose connection's to cause spark.
Thanks for the concern sir, I also was thinking on the same lines during installation therefore made sure that no connection or wire is left unsecure.



Quote:
Originally Posted by tj123 View Post
Good to see a Eco friendly car, now with the recent petrol price hike it makes much more economics sense to go for CNG.

I hope the dealer has not cut corners during installation. Safety comes first while riding a gas fuel car. Do secure that spare tyre, its not secured safely, Cardboard pieces are not a solution.

I read somewhere that Maruti is coming up with factory fitted CNG cars soon.

With petrol prices going the freeway, we need better, cheaper, cleaner, economic options. Hope manufacturers take note.

I am working out ways so as to secure the spare tire. Hopefully a feasible solution would be found soon and yes Maruti is planning to come up with factory fit CNG kits for the Eeco, WagonR, Estillo & Ritz
maglev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 00:10   #28
BHPian
 
S.I.N.G.H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: new delhi
Posts: 365
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

but as per what i auditioned, there is no way the spare tyre can move from the position even incase of any kind of impact. there is not enough space for the tyre to tilt, break through the tray and enter the cabin. and this is no interpretation. i am saying what i saw in his car. imo, there is no need of any angle bar.
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 11:19   #29
Newbie
 
lucksin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 24
Thanked: Once
Default

I got to meet Maglev and see his Ritz and CNG installation, and all i have to say is the Kit was so marvelously fitted that it made my ritz kit fitting look like a poppycock.

also it was nice meeting both of you guys S.I.N.G.H and Maglev
lucksin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2010, 12:17   #30
BHPian
 
S.I.N.G.H's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: new delhi
Posts: 365
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

it was great meeting you too. any updates on your old kit? and did the mehta cng order the nitin 60 liter 12kg tank for you?
S.I.N.G.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maruti Ritz : 44,000 kms on CNG maglev Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 80 27th October 2011 16:08
What's your stopping factor on a LPG/CNG conversion Surprise Modifications & Accessories 58 2nd July 2010 21:39
Maruti To Launch Suzuki Splash as Maruti Suzuki Ritz in May 2009 romeomidhun The Indian Car Scene 350 9th May 2009 19:33
CNG conversion Exo Modifications & Accessories 1 29th May 2006 17:47


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:45.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks