| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|25th June 2010, 13:43||#1|
Maruti Suzuki Ritz Petrol to CNG conversion
I finally got my Humble Ritz LXI converted into CNG on Wednesday, 16-May-2010.
Since I was not able to find a similar thread, I thought I should rather create one on my own.
Basic Information about the Vehicle, CNG Kit + Installer & Why CNG.
Its a Maruti Suzuki Ritz LXI in the Superior White shade. Its a joy to drive in the city. She has been giving a consistent mileage of around 11-12 kmpl with 100% A/C & 100% City, most of which has been bumper to bumper Delhi traffic.
The car had run 4366kms on the day of the install.
The CNG Kit + Installer
Since the Ritz sports a K-Series engine, tuning it to perform on CNG is a bit of a headache as pretty much everything is computer controlled and not much can be adjusted manually. This is the reason I chose this particular installer as he himself owns a Ritz LXI.
The Kit is a GNC (Argentina) Kit, with a lambda. The kit cost me Rs: 26,000/- in total without RC endorsement as I plan to get it done on my own. The Kit comes with a 1 year warranty on all the components.
The Installer Mr. Sunil Dutt is a very helpful and cheerful guy. He knows CNG kits inside-out and has been in the CNG business for almost a decade.
The company is known by the name of Tara Dutt and the details are as follows:
Tara Dutt Automobiles
301/5, Sukhdev Market, Opposite Defence Colony,
Kotla Mubarakpur, New Delhi, Delhi 110003, India.
This is a very pertinent question, I went ahead with CNG as it actually works out far cheaper in comparison to Diesel. The main reasons for not buying diesel are:
01. Diesel costs Rs 38 per liter & CNG costs Rs 27.5/- per kilogram. Unfortunately the price of CNG increased from Rs 22 to Rs 27.5 on the midnight of the day of the conversion.
02. Price difference between LXI & LDI is Rs. 90,000/-, Cost of CNG kit Rs 26,000 + 1000 for RC endorsement. It still works out cheaper by Rs 63,000/-.
03. They both give roughly the same mileage.
04. Widespread availability of CNG in the NCR region, this is where my Ritz will spend more than 95% of its lifetime. There are 3 CNG stations within a 3-4 km radius of my house.
05. I have had a good experience with CNG in the past, this one would be my 5th car on CNG.
06. The new CNG kits come with an additional module called 'Advancer', which basically ensures that there is only a negligible performance difference between Petrol & CNG.
07. For just in case situations, the ability to switch over to petrol from CNG. In fact it can be done on the fly.
08. CNG has an Octane Rating of around 130, whereas normal petrol has an octane rating of 87.
09. Its much better for the environment in comparison to both petrol & diesel.
10. Contrary to popular belief CNG actually increases Engine Life and reduces wear & tear in the long run. This happens because the use of CNG serves to extend the life of the lubricating oil, as CNG will not contaminate or dilute crankcase oil.
Fouling of plugs is eliminated and plug life is enhanced as CNG does not contain any lead.
CNG enters the engine as gas while petrol comes in as spray or mist which washes down the lubricating oil from the piston ring area to raise the rate of engine depreciation.
All of this reduces maintenance costs and as a result engine life goes up.
Last edited by maglev : 25th June 2010 at 13:58.
|25th June 2010, 13:44||#2|
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NAMMA BENGALURU
Thanked: 2,470 Times
Good to know you got it done from some reputed company.
Let us know about your newfound Fuel Efficiency now
Good otherwise, your car is now more eco-friendly
|25th June 2010, 14:58||#10|
The mileage on CNG will improve further, after a few hundred kilometers as it takes a while for the engine to adjust to CNG.
|25th June 2010, 15:07||#11|
Distinguished - BHPian
Join Date: Oct 2009
Thanked: 4,506 Times
Hey magley, looks like you got yourself a pretty neat installation. Congrats!..
Our OMNI's (2 nos) which were running on LPG needed engine overhauling at just 1-1.5 lac kms, were our regular OMNI was fine even till 2lac kms.
Congrats on your new installation!
|25th June 2010, 15:37||#13|
The price of the kit is slightly on the higher side by about 2-3K but the quality of the install and the professionalism is what I was looking for and the best part is that my car is running perfectly on both petrol and CNG.
The Ritz Diesel gives 14.6kmpl, The Ritz Petrol gives 11.8kmpl both in the city cycle as per AutoCar India June 2010.
My CNG powered Ritz is giving a little above 14.9 kilometers per kilo of CNG 100% a/c & 100% city.
We sold our CNG powered Esteem after 5 yeras of use & abuse. The car had been converted into CNG even before its first service, It was running smooth even after 2 Lac kms. My brother has an accent running on the original unopened engine currently at 1.7 lac kms. My own Accent is at 1.5 lac at the moment and running smooth
The Boot Space is definitely one area where a diesel totally beats CNG. Luckily since my CNG cylinder 'stand' sits at the bottom of the boot's floor with hardly an inch of elevation. I can use this space above the cylinder for shopping bags and smaller stuff.
But then for those occasional heavy Luggage trips I have the SX4 or my dad's Octavia.
Last edited by maglev : 25th June 2010 at 15:42.
|25th June 2010, 20:56||#15|
Join Date: Apr 2010
Thanked: 8 Times
BTW 11-12 kmpl on petrol didnt gel with me. I feel its too less. My friends optra 1.6 LT gives the same figures in city. Suggest you get it checked.
quality of install is really good!
Last edited by sportz_kruzer : 25th June 2010 at 20:59.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Maruti Ritz : 44,000 kms on CNG||maglev||Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports||80||27th October 2011 16:08|
|What's your stopping factor on a LPG/CNG conversion||Surprise||Modifications & Accessories||58||2nd July 2010 21:39|
|Maruti To Launch Suzuki Splash as Maruti Suzuki Ritz in May 2009||romeomidhun||The Indian Car Scene||350||9th May 2009 19:33|
|CNG conversion||Exo||Modifications & Accessories||1||29th May 2006 17:47|