Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 17th July 2010, 13:36   #1
BHPian

Default Engine Swap for Opel Astra Club Class

Dear Friends,

I have an Opel Astra Club Class with 1.6 Petrol engine. I am thinking of swaping the engine with a diesel engine.

Can you help me find the right engine for this car. Also do I need to change the Gear Box and ECU for swapped engine.

Another problem is with the sun roof. It has started leaking and I checked the rubber beading and it seems OK I do not know where the leak is happening. Any idea friends on this also

All and any help appriciated

shanks
Mysore
myshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 14:13   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Shanks, the Opel Astra isn't a simple car. Plus, your Astra is what...10 years old now? I cannot recommend a diesel engine swap to you. Better alternatives:

1. Sell the Astra and buy another used diesel sedan. A car like the Octavia 1.9 TDi will be the perfect upgrade to an Astra. Same European feeling, ride and stability. Plenty of options in the used market too.

2. If you still want to retain your Astra, a CNG conversion will work out more effective (and reliable).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 14:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Shanks, the Opel Astra isn't a simple car. Plus, your Astra is what...10 years old now? I cannot recommend a diesel engine swap to you. Better alternatives:

1. Sell the Astra and buy another used diesel sedan. A car like the Octavia 1.9 TDi will be the perfect upgrade to an Astra. Same European feeling, ride and stability. Plenty of options in the used market too.

2. If you still want to retain your Astra, a CNG conversion will work out more effective (and reliable).

I agree with you on the first point however CNG is not available in Mysore, Such swaps are common is cielos and astras in delhi, they usually go for a Nissan or Toyota engine(both manual mills and turbocharged) so no need for a ECU change, gear box can be mated easily, the only problem that i am aware of is excessive vibrations and overheating and sometimes the axels getting dislogged due to the excessive torque generatred by the new Diesel mill.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 20:47   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Engine Swap for Opel Astra Club Class

Dear Friends,

I will take your advice. Until I upgrade my car I will get it converted to CNG in Bangalore.

BTW any reliable good conversion garage in Bangalore you know of?

shanks
Old 18th July 2010, 21:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshanks View Post
Dear Friends,

I will take your advice. Until I upgrade my car I will get it converted to CNG in Bangalore.

BTW any reliable good conversion garage in Bangalore you know of?

shanks

If i was you i will buy a better car in exchange of this one, i was under the impression this one holds an emotional value for you, converting this one to CNG will cont to 40K and above and its not available everywhere. Best option is, sell this one for whatever you get, buy a better sedan like the baleno/Lancer/OHC and enjoy some (parts available) good time.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2010, 22:11   #6
Team-BHP Support

As for the sunroof, the drainage channels are blocked. You will find not many drops hitting you but more in terms of headlining damping. The drain pipes typically flow down from the sunroof to the pillars (front) and rear wheel wheel (rear). If it is limited to a particular side. Check by opeing roof and pour a little water around the channel on the good side.

Walk around the car and see where the flow drains. The chances areaccumulated muck has blocked things or the pipe might be cut during a body repair.
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2010, 11:23   #7
BHPian

Default Re: Engine Swap for Opel Astra Club Class

Thanks friends again for the suggestion.

I will look around for an alternate car keeping this one also.

Oh I never knew sun roof had a drain. Thanks will look for it and get it cleaned

shanks
Old 20th July 2010, 10:46   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
I agree with you on the first point however CNG is not available in Mysore
LPG is yet a viable option in cities that don't have steady CNG supplies. It is, after all, as cheap as diesel to run, and far simpler to implement (vis a vis an engine swap).
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote