Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2012, 16:23   #46
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: KL
Posts: 4,680
Thanked: 3,506 Times
Default re: Cosworth Replacement Air-Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Is the difference perceptible or very marginal (something which can be noticed only by back to back tests)? If its the former, I guess K&N maybe worth the hassle.
In my car the K&N SRF is almost as good as the BMC CDA which i had on after the Cosworth. Cosworth isn't close enough.

PS: Let the excess oil drip away from a new filter. I found that the filter had a little too much oil in it when bought new.

Last edited by Sankar : 31st January 2012 at 16:25.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 18:43   #47
BHPian
 
satya180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 166
Thanked: 207 Times
Default

If you want to go in for the replacement panel filter for the Swift diesels, the Pipercross is the best.. Trust me, ive tried all 3 and these were my observations..
satya180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 19:45   #48
Distinguished - BHPian
 
deetjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Kochi
Posts: 4,041
Thanked: 7,352 Times
Default re: Cosworth Replacement Air-Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
In my car the K&N SRF is almost as good as the BMC CDA which i had on after the Cosworth. Cosworth isn't close enough.

PS: Let the excess oil drip away from a new filter. I found that the filter had a little too much oil in it when bought new.
Thanks Sankar. Cosworth is ruled out then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satya180 View Post
If you want to go in for the replacement panel filter for the Swift diesels, the Pipercross is the best.. Trust me, ive tried all 3 and these were my observations..
satya180, are your observations missing from the post? Why do you think Pipercross is the best?
deetjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st January 2012, 20:01   #49
BHPian
 
satya180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 166
Thanked: 207 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn

satya180, are your observations missing from the post? Why do you think Pipercross is the best?
To put it simple, the Pipercross gave the best noticable difference between the 3.. Dont know about actual gains, but the Pipercross DEFINITELY FELT the best. Also being a foam filter, it was easiest to clean..
satya180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2012, 18:03   #50
BHPian
 
arjyamaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NCT
Posts: 69
Thanked: 23 Times
Default re: Cosworth Replacement Air-Filter

At the risk of restarting a slightly old thread, I bought a Cosworth air filter off ebay for my Alto for Rs. 3300/-. Here is the ebay ad.

The reasons for choosing Cosworth over K&N, pipercross etc are pretty much the same as Turbojc's which can be found here (Modding my Activa - Fitted a Cosworth Performance Air Filter). Plus the fact that cleaning isnt a pain like the K&N is. The existing air filter wasnt that old (although it could possibly warrant a cleaning). But the differences were immediately noticeable. Idle speed is slightly higher, pick up is faster. Haven't tested the top speed yet- will have to get to the Greater Noida Expressway. or the Gurgaon Faridabad Road or some such. Will try and get before- and after 0-80 times as well.

I suppose the mileage will take a beating though- lets see.

Here's a pic of the existing airfilter:
Cosworth Replacement Air-Filter-img2012100100453.jpg

And here's a pic of the Cosworth filter- just before installing it.
Cosworth Replacement Air-Filter-img2012100100455.jpg

And the decal looks fab

Last edited by arjyamaj : 1st October 2012 at 18:07.
arjyamaj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 21:00   #51
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 632
Thanked: 256 Times
Default re: Cosworth Replacement Air-Filter

I put in a Cosworth Replacement Air Filter in my Alto '03 last week. Part number is CWPFSU1002.

Firstly, I was in two minds about this filter. On one hand I read about performance increases that people have claimed, and on the other hand I read about such perceptions about performance increase being only psychological, and the real advantage of this lies in maintenance. However, I listened to my heart and took the plunge.

I am not posting any photographs, as there is nothing I have to show that has not been posted here already. I purchased it from eBay, but did not receive a decal along with it. However, I contacted the seller and he has agreed to send the decal. I am not too keen on having it on the car at the moment, though...

The stock filter was changed 6000 km back, and was also cleaned at the last service.

About the new filter, I am pleasantly surprised, but that maybe because I wasn't expecting much. The difference in performance is definitely noticeable.

My 1.1 mill, which already had decent low range performance, does even better now. This translates into lesser shifting, as she can now comfortably pull from lower speeds in the same gear, and hence better drive-ability.

However, the biggest plus point is that this filter has pretty much solved one of the biggest grudges I had regarding my car. It's the performance with AC on. Anyone who has driven an Alto with the AC on will vouch for this. For this sole reason, I used to avoid driving with the AC on as much as possible, only using it when other passengers complained of the heat, or when it was too dusty/polluted outside.

But now with the AC on the performance is so much better. In fact I would say that this improvement is much more apparent than the low end performance I spoke about. Gone is the sluggishness and the struggle to build revs once you switch on the AC. Of course, the difference is still there, but it certainly isn't a hampering factor anymore. This, I would say is the biggest advantage I have gotten out of this filter.

Or am I forgetting FE???

FE reports:
I had fitted in the filter right after a full tank, and I tanked up again today. The odo said 261 km, and the tank took in 16 litres (auto cut-off, the same method used always). This translates to 16.3 kmpl.

Note, my driving is usually urban and semi-urban, and previously the car always returned 14-14.5, sometimes 15. Once or twice I have achieved 16.

Also, this time I have been using the AC occasionally, since now it is so much easier to drive with AC on as mentioned above. Otherwise, previously on stock filter, I hardly ever used the AC.

However, I am kind of skeptical about this at present. Such a bump in FE, around 15%, seems too good to be true. I shall be closely watching this over the next few refueling cycles, and then report back with the observations.

An important question I have here. I was reading a thread on GearHeads, (related to filters, K&N, Green, etc.) and there was a post by "ArrowheadFilters" which said that washable filters are damaging, since after 2-3 washes their porosity increases and they let in larger dust particles than what the engine can tolerate. IMHO, this basically means a potential hazard to engine life.

Since it is a comment from a competitor, it could be a marketing trick. However, I would really request Gurus to throw some light on this, and clarify whether there is any truth in this. If yes, to what extent?

This has really been worrying me since I read it..
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 23:20   #52
BHPian
 
arjyamaj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NCT
Posts: 69
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Swarnava, I had messages the dealer on eBay prior to ordering - whether he would be supplying the decal as well. He said its part of the original packaging that the company provides. You need to be firm with your dealer and ensure that you get yours. You deserve it!

If not anything threaten him with a negative review.

And yes, completely agree on all your points about the performance and ac.
arjyamaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2012, 20:42   #53
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 632
Thanked: 256 Times
Default re: Cosworth Replacement Air-Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjyamaj View Post
Swarnava, I had messages the dealer on eBay prior to ordering - whether he would be supplying the decal as well. He said its part of the original packaging that the company provides. You need to be firm with your dealer and ensure that you get yours. You deserve it!

If not anything threaten him with a negative review.

And yes, completely agree on all your points about the performance and ac.
He said the same to me.

The thing is that I had already left positive feedback to him before I realised that I should have gotten the decal. However, the seller xs.concepts has been pretty co-operative, and has promised to have it delivered to me. He has taken it up with someone called Digambar to send it to me. It has been 9 days since that communication though, and I have not heard from him or anyone. Let's see..

The other thing is that I am not too keen on putting the decal on the boot door. I don't think it will go too well with the looks..
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2016, 15:54   #54
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 922
Thanked: 378 Times
Default re: Cosworth Replacement Air-Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Installed Cosworth replacement air-filter in my A-Star.
Can you please explain how to replace the air-filter for A-star? I bought an (OEM) air filter from MGP shop, and the shape/size looks similar to the cosworth filter that you have bought. But the service center says that this is not the air-filter for A-star. In fact, they removed the air-filter box and showed me another half sized (pink-colored) filter, but it doesn't look like a paper filter (looks more like a silicone one). Can you please help?
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2016, 00:06   #55
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,735
Thanked: 4,308 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Can you please explain how to replace the air-filter for A-star?
Were you able to replace air-filter ?



Steps:
1. Open the clips at the top of this plastic cover
2. disconnect the pipe at bottom right corner
3. pop out the accelerator cable as shown in the video
4. There is a bolt next to the engine oil dipstick. Remove this bolt with a hex socket.
5. Pull up the entire black unit, as shown in the video.


(All points are as shown in the video, but #4 looks to be missing.)

Last edited by Vid6639 : 3rd May 2016 at 16:52. Reason: as requested
condor is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 14:58   #56
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 922
Thanked: 378 Times
Default re: Cosworth Replacement Air-Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Were you able to replace air-filter ?
Thanks. The workshop removed just the 2 clips on top and also the air-intake tube, but did NOT remove the bolt or accelerator cable. Instead of removing the full black cover, he removed the black portion that is attached to the clips (nearer to the dash-board side), and then pulled out a pink filter from the 'clip side'. This filter doesn't look/feel like paper, but like silicon. It is also not the regular shaped filter that I see in my Alto. Can you please confirm whether this is the air-filter or something else?
My car has crossed 20K, waiting for air-filter change.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 5th May 2016 at 15:01.
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2016, 15:10   #57
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 10,735
Thanked: 4,308 Times
Default re: Cosworth Replacement Air-Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
The workshop removed just the 2 clips on top and also the air-intake tube, ....
This filter doesn't look/feel like paper, but like silicon. It is also not the regular shaped filter that I see in my Alto.
I think It is easier to remove the black unit that is seen in the video, than to remove it from the back side.

The A-Star's filter is not the same shape that is used in the Alto. The filters seen in the above posts are wider, and are Not the correct one for the A-Star.

Btw, why do you say the filter feels like silicon ?
The OE filter is from Maurti, but is a MANN filter. It would be light yellowish, and is paper.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Modding my Activa - Fitted a Cosworth Performance Air Filter Turbojc Motorbikes 9 17th June 2011 13:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks