Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 3rd August 2010, 18:17   #1
BHPian

Default Linea tyre change dilemma

My Linea MJD is about a year and a half old and clocked about 45K, the tyre are beginning to demand a worthy successor. The other day on my way back from office i ventured into a tyre dealership, the guy at the dealership threw a large concoction of brand ideas for my stock 195/60 R15 alloys. This has further confused my already handicapped thought process . The list reads -

Apollo
Bridgestone
Michelin
Yokohama
JK (Yuk !)

In all the past years i have changed my cars before the tyre's demanded a change, but this time around i intend to keep my Linea till it clocks 100K. I would require expert team-bhp opinion on which brand and size to go for. Most of my commute is on the highway, 100 Kms a day at speeds averaging 60 Kmph.
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 19:34   #2
BHPian

Go with Michelin Primacy LC. I have them on my Linea which has clocked @13K. The ride quality is amazing. My friend has a Linea on the stock rubbers, trust me the difference is worth the price difference. The car glides. Road noise is nill and the comfort improves as well.
The down-side: Softer side walls and probably slighly lesser life.

Other option is CPC2. Nikhil will vouch for this any day!!
Ferrari1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:17   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
Go with Michelin Primacy LC. I have them on my Linea which has clocked @13K. The ride quality is amazing. My friend has a Linea on the stock rubbers, trust me the difference is worth the price difference. The car glides. Road noise is nill and the comfort improves as well.
The down-side: Softer side walls and probably slighly lesser life.

Other option is CPC2. Nikhil will vouch for this any day!!
I checked the Michelin India website, could check out Primary LC but whats CPC2 ? What are the pros and cons, could you shed more light.
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:29   #4
BHPian

CPC2 = Continental Premium Contact 2

One grade below Michelin in terms of road noise and comfort. One step above in terms of price (lower than Michelin) & durability (harder side walls). This makes them better suited to "Indian conditions" as they will put it.

I wanted the lowest tyre noise and was restricted to a budget of @5k per tyre. Michelins provided that option in Primacy LC.
Ferrari1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 20:40   #5
Team-BHP Support

I would also suggest you take a look at Yokohama C-drives. They are comfort oriented tyres but provide sufficient grip as well.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2010, 21:31   #6
BHPian

So i guess the tradeoff is
Soft compound -> comfortable, lesser noise, more bucks, shorter life, ?grip?
Hard compound -> higher noise, cheaper, long lasting, ?grip?

How do the soft/hard tyres fair in terms of road grip?

Mods - I think this thread is in the wrong section, kindly move it as appropriate

Last edited by luky_13 : 3rd August 2010 at 21:36.
Old 24th November 2010, 16:50   #7
BHPian

Finally took the plunge, replaced stock tyres with Yokohama C drive 195/60 R15. Bought from Madhus Enterprises, Langford road, Bangalore... Professional guys with professional attitude. Highly recommended.
Old 25th May 2011, 22:14   #8
BHPian

Default Re: Linea tyre change dilemma

@luky13 how do you rate yokos? I am also gonna change the tyres in my linea as the do not have much tread left.
I was also taking into consideration Turanza .
This is going to be my third set after goodyears and potenza , so I am not inclined towards these two.
Thanks.
ishlinea7260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2011, 09:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
@luky13 how do you rate yokos? I am also gonna change the tyres in my linea as the do not have much tread left.
I was also taking into consideration Turanza .
This is going to be my third set after goodyears and potenza , so I am not inclined towards these two.
Thanks.
Quite good infact, the Yoko's were a good investment, a much better drive quality and lesser NVH levels. Only thing you need to be careful about is the softer sidewalls, my daily drive is mostly on a highway with pretty good roads. Take a call based on where you drive the most, if you are hitting GT road pretty often take the plunge...
Old 26th May 2011, 15:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Quite good infact, the Yoko's were a good investment, a much better drive quality and lesser NVH levels. Only thing you need to be careful about is the softer sidewalls, my daily drive is mostly on a highway with pretty good roads. Take a call based on where you drive the most, if you are hitting GT road pretty often take the plunge...
thanks for the reply , the thing is my daily drive of over 70kms. can hardly be termed as a "road". The potenzas have held up[ real well in these conditions , never once did i face a flat tyre. I am a bit concerned regarding the softer sidewalls of the yokos, will check with the dealer , hopefully she will be having new shoes by next week.
ishlinea7260 is offline   Reply With Quote