Cost was Rs. 1300/-

Features
  • Extendable Arm Rest
  • Storage Area
  • Soft Cushion
  • Can be Folded up, if not needed
  • Adjustable Height
  • Wide enough for both persons on the front
Precise and to the point! Thanks for sharing, Amalji. The driver armrest goes a long way in enhancing comfort over highway drives. This is a good option for cars that don't come equipped with one. I especially liked the fact that it's height-adjustable.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 16:23   #17
Team-BHP Support

Is this compatible for an Ikon as well? I've been looking for one for ages!
Please do let me know.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 18:23   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Is this compatible for an Ikon as well? I've been looking for one for ages!
Please do let me know.
Its an universal arm rest. Can be fitted in to most of the cars. I'll be getting one for me in this month end from the same place as amal (Carnation, Cochin). Will surely upload some WIP and details of fitment after that.
vaisakhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2010, 19:42   #19
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me if this is available in Bombay and if so, where?

Regards,

SS
suzuki san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 16:09   #20
BHPian

great find. thx amalji

is there any chance of operating the handbrakes without lifting up the hand rest? Lazy me
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2010, 22:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Precise and to the point! Thanks for sharing, Amalji. The driver armrest goes a long way in enhancing comfort over highway drives. This is a good option for cars that don't come equipped with one. I especially liked the fact that it's height-adjustable.
Wow, a reply from GTO. So happy about that.

Yeah, arm rests makes a big difference to travel comfort. Last day, I travelled in an Indica without armrest, and it was so uncomfortable after getting used to armrest journey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
great find. thx amalji

is there any chance of operating the handbrakes without lifting up the hand rest? Lazy me
Yep, good point. I was also concerned about it first. But, yes, we can lift the hand brakes without having to lift the arm rest.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd September 2010 at 13:22. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
amalji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 14:55   #22
BHPian

Default Quite thoughtful.

Dear amalji, that was quite thoughtful and will serve well in the long run. Quite diappointed that the Swift VDi doesn't offer one. I am one of those lazy guys who just likes to eat whats served, but it looks like I'll have to get one installed if I've to make my journey to Kerala in peace. There is a variety of them available out here in Dubai but then to find the right person to do the job back in Chennai would be a pain. I'll wait for somebody in Chennai to do it and I'll follow suit.

Cheers
Champion
Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2010, 23:46   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Amal -- Congrats on getting this done and providing us with the option! Now this [just out of blues] has got into the list of accessories and squeezed it way all upto number 1 position. I keep doing Bangalore - Kottayam or some other highway trips and was sorely missing the arm support. being a 6 footer with long hands and finding the need of just one hand to drive my swift, i use to rest my hand on the gear lever or on the hand brakes. Now i believe, I can be better. i really liked that its wide of 2 guys in the front. And lovely to see its got a storage space as well. All the more better to see its height adjustable and also it doesnt foul with the hand brake [i keep using the hand brake wherever i have to stop for 1-2 mins] my legs start paining to press the clutch and am relaxed while am waiting, with the hand brakes on.

By the way anyone from Bangalore has done this? I see there is a carnation in Bangalore outer ring road -- any feedbacks?

The arm rest in the pic looks of good quality and the fitting looks like a neat job.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2010, 18:50   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Now this [just out of blues] has got into the list of accessories and squeezed it way all upto number 1 position.
+1 to that. A bad part about being a car lover is to continously keep saving money to spend it on your car. Going to get this now. I hope it will be available in the Carnation store in Gurgaon or I would have to get it from the store in Sec-16, Noida I read about elsewhere on the forum. One small question, considering that I manage to find this at Carnation Gurgaon, would there be any difference in quality between the two.
Sinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:21   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champion View Post
Dear amalji, that was quite thoughtful and will serve well in the long run. Quite diappointed that the Swift VDi doesn't offer one. I am one of those lazy guys who just likes to eat whats served, but it looks like I'll have to get one installed if I've to make my journey to Kerala in peace. There is a variety of them available out here in Dubai but then to find the right person to do the job back in Chennai would be a pain. I'll wait for somebody in Chennai to do it and I'll follow suit.

Cheers
Champion
For Swift you can get it from MGA.
They have listed a 'centre arm rest' in their website.
Maruti Swift
So fixing won't be a problem.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 10:51   #26
BHPian

Thank you Daewood. That Arm rest is similar to the one that amalji has installed. But one small hitch is, most accessories for the Swift (atleast ones in least demand) are unavailable in the A.S.S and has to be ordered for. I had faced this hitch with something as trivial as the rear parcel tray but managed to get it with another A.S.S. I shall drop in at CARS India to find out if thay have it and if they can install it for me as professionally as the one done on amalji's.

Cheers
Champion
Champion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 11:01   #27
BHPian

I had checked out the SWIFT MGA armrest for my SX4 and WagonR, but the way it was designed it kind of protruded into the rear knee / leg space so did not go ahead with it. Now your thread has revived my search.

Amalji, in pics 4,5,6 we can see that the armrest actually slides forward if required.. i think this feature is not there in the SWIFT MGA.
Also could you please post pictures of the armrest base from the back seat area.
I understand that it is a universal fit, however if you do recollect the name of the brand/manufacturer it will help. I will check with Carnation Pune if they have the same one .
FrankMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:05   #28
BHPian

I see a lot of people saying this will fit most cars, but how about a scorpio, my friend wants to know.
gurudutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:32   #29
Senior - BHPian

Aah, awesome, I hope this can be fitted to a Baleno as it's universal. But Baleno has a small storage compartment in that place, probably that need to be removed to fix this. Will try to find out at Carnation Bangalore.
kaushik_s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2010, 19:08   #30
BHPian

Hey Kaushik, Do let us know if its available at Carnation Bangalore, I'm looking for one for my Hyundai Getz
raghav.carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote