Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 30th September 2007, 12:22   #106
BHPian

what is the norm for fwd cars/? 15% losses?
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 13:17   #107
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Redline?
Ford India's small Fiesta sedan with the 1596 cc DOHC petrol engine, supposedly delivers 101 bhp @ 6,500 rpm at the flywheel.

Now, no sensible driver ever winds an engine upto the redline rpm, neither unloaded, nor under load.

It is another thing, that most of our friends, value their spend on a new car and expect it to contribute years of useful value. Being so, it is prudent usage, to not attempt to squeeze max. bhp out of a new car, at least during the first 10,000 km of its lifespan.

I've had my Baleno up to 4,500 rpm on four occasions on a very deserted Kon-Bhatan stretch of Mumbai-Pune expressway, in fifth gear.

I did enjoy the childish glee of seeing the needle surpass 165 km/h.

It is a different matter, that I was being downright irresponsible to the dear ones back home, who wish for my longevity.

And had there been other monkeys driving around on the expressway (than myself ), it would have been an even more idiotic move.

On a typical Indian sedan in good condition, a typically useable rpm band in a moving car would be between 2,200 rpm to 3,000 rpm.

It would be useful to see how much horsepower at the road wheel is put out by each of our cars at 3000 rpm.

One suspects that ten different Ford Fiesta 1.6 Duratec SXIs on a dynamometer, would yield ten different readings of horsepower at 3000 rpm, given our national quality and repeatability of construction and the attention to detail lavished by our workers -- too underpaid to afford a Fiesta themselves.

What do you think?

Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 13:25   #108
BHPian

is it that bad to redline ? i dont redline all the time but i shift at 4000 all the time and i do redline sometimes.
i am feeling like a monster now
paras211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 13:33   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paras211 View Post
is it that bad to redline ? i dont redline all the time but i shift at 4000 all the time and i do redline sometimes.
C'mon, get your act together - you should only feel foolish, and that too only if you are a salaried man.
Redlining is not something that most can afford; other than that it has plenty of 'merits' in terms of adrenaline!

Even a dyno reading is not telling you the whole story about how effectively the power available at the wheels is being transferred to the road! And unless it is perfectly and wholly transferred, you are still unable to 'utilize' your ride to it's max potential!

Last edited by anupmathur : 30th September 2007 at 13:38.
anupmathur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 13:53   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
you should only feel foolish
Whats wrong with redlining, you people make it sound like a crime, even after red lining my car manages to give me 15kmpl

Last edited by BUSA : 30th September 2007 at 13:55.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 13:56   #111
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Another saga of redlining is foolish, more so if you earn your own money/someone else's hard earned money on a perceived to be enthusiasts forum . Gosh, when will we have an end to this & be able to live peacefully?
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 14:08   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
C'mon, get your act together - you should only feel foolish, and that too only if you are a salaried man.
Redlining is not something that most can afford; other than that it has plenty of 'merits' in terms of adrenaline!
That was the context. Please don't pull your hair out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Gosh, when will we have an end to this & be able to live peacefully?
Live peacefully and do your own thing man! It's by and large a free world, barring a few pockets here and there.
These are just OPINIONS of some staid old men. Should not throw your lifestyle out of kilter.
Old 30th September 2007, 14:46   #113
BHPian

Red face

is redlining that bad for car - i don't even have rpm readout in my santro - i must be redlining so many times but man the exhaust sounds sweet

will try n keep redlining down to a minimum - once a week hehe

Cheers,
j
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 15:11   #114
BHPian

Guys, we are going way too off topic here. This thread is about the Dyno facility now being available in Mumbai.

Quote:
C'mon, get your act together - you should only feel foolish.. ..to it's max potential!
@anup - dude, please read what you are posting, before you click on the 'Post' button. I know you might not have intended to sound this way, but this post can create a heck lot of mis-understandings.

Quote:
is it that bad to redline ?... ..feeling like a monster now
@Paras - please go through Ram's post once again. Imho, he meant to say that Dyno testing would be justified for a totally different cause, and a larger no. of people if we test the cars for rpms we ( redliners - non-redliners included ) regularly drive them at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Another saga...

@Ram - you have a valid point there. But the basic and commonly known purpose of a dyno test is to determine power outputs after modding / tuning of the engine, and get in quantitative terms, the technical expertise of a tuner to safely tune/ mod the car to its max limits.

@Red-lining - to experience that adrenaline rush just to know what your car's capable of, on an empty stretch of road, is absolutely fine. If you are doing it regularly, and putting somebody else's life in danger by that, then its totally un-acceptable.
Remember - with Power, comes Responsibility.

Last edited by hkanitkar : 30th September 2007 at 15:13.
hkanitkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 15:33   #115
Team-BHP Support

After 3 months and we still don't have any numbers. Hasn't anybody put their car on the dyno yet?
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 18:16   #116
BHPian

Cool

yeah wheres all the modders, who said they would hit the dyno soon, come on guys if you already have let us know. You can lie a bit if the numbers are too low after all those crazy mods , but do let us know your experience.

"@Red-lining - to experience that adrenaline rush just to know what your car's capable of, on an empty stretch of road, is absolutely fine. If you are doing it regularly, and putting somebody else's life in danger by that, then its totally un-acceptable.
Remember - with Power, comes Responsibility." - completely agree

Cheers,
j
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2007, 21:12   #117
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram View Post
One suspects that ten different Ford Fiesta 1.6 Duratec SXIs on a dynamometer, would yield ten different readings of horsepower at 3000 rpm, given our national quality and repeatability of construction and the attention to detail lavished by our workers -- too underpaid to afford a Fiesta themselves.
What do you think?
What you suspect might be true, though the reasons might be not quite what you suspect. More importantly, how much do you suspect the variation would be in percentage terms? (That's what would make it significant or negligible).
Old 30th September 2007, 22:02   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
After 3 months and we still don't have any numbers. Hasn't anybody put their car on the dyno yet?
Anyone willing to come forth? These are 'acid' tests, in a way. Why then do we not have any NUMBERS appearing? After these numbers will the actual debates begin!
Old 1st October 2007, 00:35   #119
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Anyone willing to come forth? These are 'acid' tests, in a way. Why then do we not have any NUMBERS appearing? After these numbers will the actual debates begin!
I for one am game for this "acid" test. Just waiting for an excuse to drive to Bombay and put my car out on the rollers. So when is Speed Run?
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2007, 03:25   #120
BHPian

Maybe I'll be the first "Bakra" for you guys. Just waiting for my standalone. Expecting it on the 13th of October. Once that's in, will hit the dyno in a couple of days.

Edit: The cams not performing that well. Mclaren and Viper were right. Viper's getting an adjustable cam gear and setting the timing in a couple of days. Thanx for your advice guys.

Last edited by adman77 : 1st October 2007 at 03:41.
adman77 is offline   Reply With Quote