Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 21st September 2010, 15:11   #1
BHPian

Question Modifying the Power Steering of an i20

Hey guys,
Although I've been on Team-BHP for a bit now, this is my first foray into the Modification Section.

I am planning to buy an i20 Diesel, as it seems like a good, all-round, practical yet powerful hatch, but the biggest thing stopping me is the extremely dead steering feel and response, which makes the car the extremely boring to drive, and reports that the steering does not tighten up sufficiently at high speed.

I was wondering if there is an easy and safe way to mod the steering to make it more responsive, fun and maybe feel a little weighted (like a Honda Civic kinda feel ).

My only criteria's for such a mod are that it should not give any hassles in the long run, and that it should make the car extremely fun to drive.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could give me nice simple solution to improve steering response, feedback, and overall feel.

Thanks Guys

Last edited by kadanaJ : 21st September 2010 at 15:13.
kadanaJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 15:19   #2
Senior - BHPian

Two things:

1. Get 17" rims the steering will be very responsive.
2. If you want to stick to 15" then go for 205/50 R15.

Have personally experienced the car in both setups and its way way better than stock 185/65.

i20 lane changing at 140 is no joke after those tyre upgrades.
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 15:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Two things:

1. Get 17" rims the steering will be very responsive.
2. If you want to stick to 15" then go for 205/50 R15.

Have personally experienced the car in both setups and its way way better than stock 185/65.

i20 lane changing at 140 is no joke after those tyre upgrades.
While I understand how up-sizing the tyres to 205/50 R15 will definitely help the handling and stability of the car, would this also help counteract the overtly-light and over-servoed steering feel.
Old 21st September 2010, 15:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
While I understand how up-sizing the tyres to 205/50 R15 will definitely help the handling and stability of the car, would this also help counteract the overtly-light and over-servoed steering feel.
Yes even i am talking about the steering feel. Its light under 60 and adds up heavily after that.
Old 21st September 2010, 15:33   #5
BHPian

Ah, Well then that's absolutely prefect for my needs.
Are you speaking from first-hand experience?
I do need an opinion from someone who has tried this in an i20 and noticed a difference, because I doubt there's any way for me to personally try this first-hand until I buy the car.
In any case, thanks very much for the fast and helpful response abhibh.

Another query if you don't mind,
How much of a fuel average drop would I notice if I upsized the tyres to 205/50 R15.
It's not major issue since I'll be getting the 1.4 Diesel, but it would be nice to know.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 21st September 2010 at 15:36.
Old 21st September 2010, 15:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ah, Well then that's absolutely prefect for my needs.
Are you speaking from first-hand experience?
I do need an opinion from someone who has tried this in an i20 and noticed a difference, because I doubt there's any way for me to personally try this first-hand until I buy the car.
In any case, thanks very much for the fast and helpful response abhibh.

Another query if you don't mind,
How much of a fuel average drop would I notice if I upsized the tyres to 205/50 R15.
It's not major issue since I'll be getting the 1.4 Diesel, but it would be nice to know.
I don't own 1 but have driven friends i20's. I really hated its steering feedback on stock tyres. I was the one who voted i20 when i first test drove my friends i20 Asta on stock Tyres. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1823727-post163.html

But when i drove the car on 17" it changed everything. Way way better than stock. According to my friends even on hard driving they get 15-16 in city with AC easily.
Old 21st September 2010, 15:51   #7
BHPian

Now that raises another question in my mind

Should I go for 17 inch rims, or upsize the tyres to 205/50 R15.
Advantages and disadvantages of both please.
Old 21st September 2010, 15:56   #8
BHPian

Advantage of sticking to stock rims and just upgrading the tyres is that you won't have to purchase a new set of rims unless the stock rims cannot hold 205 tyres. Secondly ride comfort will not be lost by that much, maybe marginal. Not many disadvantages I can think off.

The biggest two advantages if you go for 17's is the handling and looks. But the biggest trade off is ride comfort. It will be bumpy even at low speeds. Also the incrememental cost of 17" wheels and tyres may not necessarily give you that added satisfaction.
NOS Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 16:10   #9
Senior - BHPian

If u upgrade to 17 inchers with 205 tyres, your profile will be 40 which on Indian roads will wreck your back as well as the tyres in NO time. A total No No.

Stick to 15 rims and upgrade the width to 205. A super low profile tyre on Indian roads will only add bling, A pothole at high speed and your tyre/rim is a goner.

Btw isn't the correct upsize from stock of 185/65/R15 to 205, 205/55/R15 ?
humyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 16:20   #10
BHPian

Thanks for the fast responses guys,

I don't really care about adding bling, so it looks like upsizing tyre width is the way to go, so will that definitely give a significant improvement to steering feel and feedback?
(I wish Hyundai would stop making their PS systems so overly-assisted )

I don't really know what the correct upsize for stock 185/65/R15 is.

Last edited by kadanaJ : 21st September 2010 at 16:24.
Old 21st September 2010, 16:21   #11
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Quote:
I was wondering if there is an easy and safe way to mod the steering to make it more responsive, fun and maybe feel a little weighted (like a Honda Civic kinda feel ).
You might find this article of particular interest - EPS Mod
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2010, 16:32   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
You might find this article of particular interest - EPS Mod
This article seems to be exactly what I was looking for originally. Thanks im_srini.

Does anybody know of a reliable mechanic in Mumbai who can do such a mod, and whether such a mod would affect my warranty.
Old 22nd September 2010, 12:51   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Kadana,

First of all, have you driven the i20 at speed yourself? The Civic has one of the best pure hydraulic steerings in the market, and the i20 the most lifeless. Don't expect a Civic-like steering, whatever you do.

As others have mentioned, getting fatter tyres will improve her dynamics and weigh up the steering as well. Will still remain lifeless though.

Hyundai is only responding to market feedback. 99% of the general buying public prefers a "light effortless" steering.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 14:59   #14
BHPian

Kadana,

Electra performance seem to source after market power steering. Please check this:

Electra Performance welcomes you
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2010, 17:01   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Kadana,

First of all, have you driven the i20 at speed yourself? The Civic has one of the best pure hydraulic steerings in the market, and the i20 the most lifeless. Don't expect a Civic-like steering, whatever you do.

As others have mentioned, getting fatter tyres will improve her dynamics and weigh up the steering as well. Will still remain lifeless though.

Hyundai is only responding to market feedback. 99% of the general buying public prefers a "light effortless" steering.
No, unfortunately haven't had the opportunity to test it at high speed yet, so I'm forced to rely on other peoples opinions.

I know this isn't the best way to go about it, but I don't see anyway to test the car at high speed in Mumbai.

im_srini's article suggests that simply reducing the voltage on the torque sensors for the Electric Power Steering System ECU (or something along those lines ) will reduce the amount of assistance given, and provide a more weighted feel.

It seems like a very simple mod. If I'm lucky maybe the people at the Hyundai Service Station can understand how to do this, that way I won't even have to worry about warranty issues

Last edited by kadanaJ : 22nd September 2010 at 17:04.