Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2005, 00:47   #1
BHPian
 
racing4cure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: DXB-COK-Manipal
Posts: 184
Thanked: 4 Times
Exclamation Gps A Reliable Model??

which model of the gps unit should i buy? i heard nippon is bringing one out. anyone one ofu have any first hand experience with it. let me know thanxxx...

ps. do they have maps for south india and all in it???
racing4cure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2005, 18:55   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
V-16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: mumbai
Posts: 4,575
Thanked: 844 Times
Default

yeah lemme know too. just got back from europe and saw these gps systems for cars made by Garmin. the cheapest model was for 189 pounds....wondering if it would work here and if we got it, where would one get the city disc for it...im a biggie for drives holidays so i would go beserk with an instrument like that in my car.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2005, 10:08   #3
BHPian
 
Xsailor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Noida
Posts: 128
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by racing4cure
which model of the gps unit should i buy? i heard nippon is bringing one out. anyone one ofu have any first hand experience with it. let me know thanxxx...

ps. do they have maps for south india and all in it???
Hi there,

There is Nippon and another make (with a snapshot of a map of CP!) available on www.ebay.in

Even I was interested to get a kit for my Ipaq - lemme know how it works out.

Cheers
Xsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2005, 01:16   #4
BHPian
 
srasania's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Orlando, FL, USA
Posts: 321
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

I'm planning to buy a Garmin vehicle navigation GPS from States in Jan 06'..it's cheap out there (www.circuitcity.com)
I guess no company has developed a roadmap with POIs(Points of Interest) for any other city in India except Delhi..if anyone knows about from where to get mapping software with entire India roadmap/POIs,please lemme know along with website if possible.

sr
srasania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2005, 11:21   #5
BHPian
 
Insane Devil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 984
Thanked: 159 Times
Default

does anyone know if Hyderabad maps are available or not? and if yes, then is a kit available in india for the O2 XDA-II ?

Internationally, with PDA's the TOM TOM Navigator is the Hottest choice.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2006, 20:41   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default GPS in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil
does anyone know if Hyderabad maps are available or not? and if yes, then is a kit available in india for the O2 XDA-II ?

Internationally, with PDA's the TOM TOM Navigator is the Hottest choice.
I am using a Garmin iQue 3600 for the last 8 months and purchased it in New Delhi, India from their authorised dealer for 40K. And they also give maps and presently they have maps for Delhi, Bombay, Pune, Bangalore etc. And they also have periodical upgrades.

I have travelled quite a lot outside Delhi and the GPS has been quite effective in letting me know the approaching small & big cities. While driving ina and around Delhi the map is quite precise and guides you through voice commands for turns and destinations.

One can contact Aerial Services P Ltd, Delhi on 24651445. Hope this info is useful..

Gurudutt
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2006, 03:04   #7
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,645 Times
Default

I have a lowrance ifinder expedition C. Great unit as it has 16 channel reciever. Dont have any india maps, and plan to use GPS trackmaker to use trails to make my own maps. Buying from India is very expensive as the same unit which costs 300$ in US costs 40K in india!
I got mine in US for 230$ odd and plan to use in India. I have got the hang of It here and the inbuilt compass along with lots of waypoint features will ensure I wont get lost often
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2006, 04:54   #8
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Sahil's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 5,202
Thanked: 2,094 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418
I am using a Garmin iQue 3600 for the last 8 months and purchased it in New Delhi, India from their authorised dealer for 40K. And they also give maps and presently they have maps for Delhi, Bombay, Pune, Bangalore etc. And they also have periodical upgrades.

I have travelled quite a lot outside Delhi and the GPS has been quite effective in letting me know the approaching small & big cities. While driving ina and around Delhi the map is quite precise and guides you through voice commands for turns and destinations.

One can contact Aerial Services P Ltd, Delhi on 24651445. Hope this info is useful..

Gurudutt
40K is really steep since Garmin products can be got for less than half that price in the state......do you think its possible to purchase one from the states and buy indian maps from the agents in india?
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 10:07   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
gd1418's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 3,578
Thanked: 655 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil
40K is really steep since Garmin products can be got for less than half that price in the state......do you think its possible to purchase one from the states and buy indian maps from the agents in india?
I suggest you go to this link for your answers..:-)

http://www.garmin.com/cgi-bin/dealer...r+this+Country

Last edited by gd1418 : 13th June 2006 at 10:09.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 11:24   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
satish_appasani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,033
Thanked: 45 Times
Default

SatGuide is offering GPS services in India. Their software is based on PocketPC. So, if you have the PocketPC with GPS module, may be you can buy the software and Maps from them.

I got this information from their site. Contact them for the pricing details.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2006, 22:36   #11
BHPian
 
a4_attitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 442
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Guys am using N80 would like to go for Gps bluetooth reciever, please advise about its avialibitly and price about maps they are avialble thorugh agent online for NCR Delhi, anybody here tried somethng like this?
Cheers
Wadhwa Ajay
a4_attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 model wagon R Vxi or old model Vxi with discounts? drsnt Hatchbacks 9 20th June 2010 07:40
Good and Reliable Car Repair Shops(Tuners/Mechanics/Wheel Alignment/ Paint Booths) islandman Modifications & Accessories 1 19th May 2006 17:04
Hyundai Sonata - The most reliable car in USA satish_appasani The International Automotive Scene 54 27th March 2005 03:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks