Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2010, 23:28   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 277
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Trouble finding fresh stock Shell Helix HX5

Hello all,

Was thinking of buying some Engine Oil for my Alto. Got to know of this wonderful offer, so went looking for a 3L/3.5L can of Shell Helix HX5.

From the shell site:
Ferrari Adventure - India

also GTO posted this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor-...y-ferrari.html (Shell Competition : Win a driving day with Ferrari)

Went to motor Market to get one.
There were lots of shops that had shell Engine Oil, one was even exclusive shell outlet. But all of them had old oil which was MFD. around 9/2009 to 1/2010 and did not have the offer.
I checked various packings of 3L/3.5L and even 4L in over 10 shops, most of which dated around one year back.
Prices were around

3L HX5 MRP 702 sells for Rs. 650
3.5L HX5 MRP 840 sells for ~ 700
4L HX5 MRP 909 sells for Rs. 800
3L shell MGO MRP ~600 sells for Rs. 500

The latest i could find was Mfd. 9 Apr 2010. But even that did not have the offer. Also i doubt the genuinity of these packs. I would much prefer an authorised dealer.

I even wrote to shell about their authorised dealer near chandigarh on their 'enqiries and feedback' link. A certain Manish Arora replied and asked me how much oil i wanted. When i wrote to him that i needed one or two 3L packs, he did not even bother to respond back!
The offer closes on 30th September. Can someone please tell me how i can obtain genuine shell oil ( preferably with the offer in or around chandigarh).
Is there some genuine place atleast in Delhi where one can be sure of Quality.

PS: I posted in GTO's thread linked above but i think this is the better place for posting this, if this is seen as duplication please delete that post.
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 07:12   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,426
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Decide what is the priority here, the oil or the ferrari! If the service is due, get the oil and not bother about the offer.

The Shell fuel stations here sell only the 4 ltre pack of HX5. But they may be stocking whatever is the fastest moving item for them, and it does not mean other packs available outside are fakes. Check around about a genuine dealership and buy from there. I paid Rs 915 (MRP) for a 4 litre pack a few months back at the Shell station - they give no discounts.

As for the mfg date of the oil, though I always get =/< 6 month old packs here, I will not bother about even 18 month old ones, if properly sealed.

Last edited by Gansan : 27th September 2010 at 07:15.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2010, 08:10   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Can someone please tell me how i can obtain genuine shell oil ( preferably with the offer in or around chandigarh).
I don't know about Chandigarh, but you're sure to find one genuine at any Shell fuel outlets. Never mind the Mfg date if it is less than a year or so, just close your eyes & buy it.

In Chennai, one can find them even at a reputed auto spares shop. Just ensure that the seals are intact when you buy them. Nothing to worry.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 21:07   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Decide what is the priority here, the oil or the ferrari! If the service is due, get the oil and not bother about the offer.
+1 to ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptavis View Post
Hello all,

Was thinking of buying some Engine Oil for my Alto. Got to know of this wonderful offer, so went looking for a 3L/3.5L can of Shell Helix HX5.

I even wrote to shell about their authorised dealer near chandigarh on their 'enqiries and feedback' link. A certain Manish Arora replied and asked me how much oil i wanted. When i wrote to him that i needed one or two 3L packs, he did not even bother to respond back!
When the Shell guy has not bothered to get back to you why are you still so keen to give them your money. Move on and take your business elsewhere.

You have an Alto, so go to your nearest Maruti service center and buy Mobil 1 with the Maruti Suzuki logo on the can from them and have it poured into the engine right there along with a new oil filter. Maruti has approved Mobil1 an now sells the same from the spares counter, I use it in my Swift zxi. End of story & you & your Alto drive happily ever after.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 21:21   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
Gansan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 3,426
Thanked: 875 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
You have an Alto, so go to your nearest Maruti service center and buy Mobil 1 with the Maruti Suzuki logo on the can from them and have it poured into the engine right there along with a new oil filter. Maruti has approved Mobil1 an now sells the same from the spares counter, I use it in my Swift zxi. End of story & you & your Alto drive happily ever after.

IIRC the Mobil they have is 10W30 and meant only for the K series engines.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th September 2010, 21:51   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default

They gave me Mobil1 0W 40 from the golden coloured pack that is available in open markets too. The pack with the MS logo is grey colour & as I recall correctly that had a 10W 40 rating. Infact my bill also reads '10W 40 Mobil1 oil' as that is what is fed into their system. BTW my swift does not have a K series engine.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2010, 00:15   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: chandigarh
Posts: 277
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Decide what is the priority here, the oil or the ferrari! If the service is due, get the oil and not bother about the offer.
Service is due in Dec i was just thinking of getting it done early, so can wait a week or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I don't know about Chandigarh, but you're sure to find one genuine at any Shell fuel outlets.
There are no Shell stations within 500KM from here (Punjab, haryana or Rajasthan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
When the Shell guy has not bothered to get back to you why are you still so keen to give them your money. Move on and take your business elsewhere.

You have an Alto, so go to your nearest Maruti service center and buy Mobil 1 with the Maruti Suzuki logo on the can from them and have it poured into the engine right there along with a new oil filter. Maruti has approved Mobil1 an now sells the same from the spares counter, I use it in my Swift zxi. End of story & you & your Alto drive happily ever after.
I have heard from multiple sources that shell HX5 is the best engine oil for Alto. Was thinking id get the offer pack if im decided on the brand. Got the details from shell, will go tomorrow.
Dont want to spend so much on Synthetic Oil as my drive is only about 6k Km in an year.
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Safari Storme gets Helix'd - My ICE Install lazybrain In-Car Entertainment 5 14th June 2014 10:31
Need opinions on Shell Helix 20W - 50 Oil for the Royal Enfield Bullet Electra 4S ron_9191 Motorbikes 14 3rd November 2013 15:01
Fresh Rubber !! khaadu75 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 20 5th April 2005 12:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks