Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Closed Thread

Old 29th September 2010, 09:34   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up Bangalore : Group Buy - OE Phillips HID Kit

Hi,

Anyone interested in picking up the original Philips HID stuff instead of the Chinese 'maal' that mostly everyone else in the market is dishing out.

I am interested in picking up a H7 kit for myself and was wondering if there in anyone else interested in OE Phillips HID. If we have sufficiently large numbers we can try and bargain for a discount.

I had a brief chat with the contact person at Methods Automotive, Lalbagh Road and as per what information I could gather :-

- Current MRP for the kits range from 9-9.5K.
- They have kits for most of the common bulb types i.e. H7,H4,H11,HS1 and more.
- They are only dealing with 6000K kits (I'm trying to figure out if they can source the 4000-4300K kits instead).
- I have not yet gotten a figure on the discount %, that would be possible only once we have an approximate number of people interested.

@Bangalore Junta: Please pour in your thoughts/ideas on this and also let me know how many would be interested.

@Non Bangalore Junta: If you are interested in picking up a HID kit then the only option would be courier it to you. But please remember the inherent risks involved with courier.

NOTE: Please let us not make an Halogen VS HID or any other discussion regarding HID's. Let keep it clean only related to the group buy.

DISCLAIMER: I don't work for Phillips or any other dealer for Phillips. I don't stand to gain anything other than discounted price for a HID kit for my ride.

@MODS: Please move this thread to the appropriate section if this is not right place for a thread like this.
Old 29th September 2010, 09:43   #2
BHPian

Praful, I would advice to check some more stores/dealers, since I got a quote of Rs 7800 for the H4 6000K here in Kolkata from the Philips dealer without installation. But I preferred to go thru a reputed auto accesories showroom for Rs 8K with installation. I bet you will get a good deal if you shop around a bit, trying the reputed accessories showroom or other philips dealers.
Old 29th September 2010, 09:48   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by buntydey View Post
Praful, I would advice to check some more stores/dealers, since I got a quote of Rs 7800 for the H4 6000K here in Kolkata from the Philips dealer without installation. But I preferred to go thru a reputed auto accesories showroom for Rs 8K with installation. I bet you will get a good deal if you shop around a bit, trying the reputed accessories showroom or other philips dealers.
@BuntyDey: Yes, that is the plan. Would be speaking to the other dealers as well. As of now just spoke to the dealer who was listed on the Phillips India website. I'm sure as more members read this they will be able to provide contacts of more dealers.
Old 29th September 2010, 10:01   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Am interested in this. Can you please find whether they have HID's for Swift fog lights? I inquired here in Cochin and wasnt able to find one for the fogs. Please let me know. If everything goes well, am in for the purchase. Also, I can get it from Blore cos I come there every month ;-)

Thanks
Old 29th September 2010, 10:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Am interested in this. Can you please find whether they have HID's for Swift fog lights? I inquired here in Cochin and wasnt able to find one for the fogs. Please let me know. If everything goes well, am in for the purchase. Also, I can get it from Blore cos I come there every month ;-)

Thanks
The Swift fogs are H4 right?
Old 29th September 2010, 10:09   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
AM not sure mate.. Here, people dont know the basics of bulb configs. They keep telling different configs. So am totally confused. They say many brands dont have HIDs for Swift config. But I know it's available, but confused with the config. Kindly let me know the details.
Cheers.!
Old 29th September 2010, 10:20   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Why source it from Methods when you have a Philips distributor in Bangalore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
They're H8.
Old 29th September 2010, 10:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Philips has a six month conditional warranty, their ballasts also are just like any other kit but quality is definitely better, the 6000k is philips is the most super white I have seen till now, but that does not imply it's the brightest or anything.
I think overall its a good package except for the warranty which is inappropriate for the kind of pricing.

Another really good option for HID kits is P8, comes with 1 year warranty and digital ballasts which can fit into any car or superbike with ease. Brightness is also really neat.
Old 29th September 2010, 10:27   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueraven316 View Post
Another really good option for HID kits is P8, comes with 1 year warranty and digital ballasts which can fit into any car or superbike with ease. Brightness is also really neat.
Does P8 come in 4300K?

6000k is basically useless in the rains or in foggy conditions.
Old 29th September 2010, 10:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Does P8 come in 4300K?
as per this ya
Cosworth Car Performance Products, Mx Car Inverters, P8 Door Visors, P8 Hid Xenon Lights
Old 29th September 2010, 11:07   #11
BHPian

Please count me in for the group buy. My immediate requirements for H1 and strictly 4300K(may need 2 pairs and a D2S kit as well).

How about sourcing OEM modules from Hella or Bosch? Getting good quality HID capsules would still be a challenge.

I was planning to get Morimoto kit from TRS, but if I can get "Genuine" Philips at a good price, I'm all for it.
Old 29th September 2010, 11:11   #12
BHPian

Slightly OT: while checking Philips AU site, I came across D1S, D2R and D2S kits and my noob question is that if any of these kits is equivalent to H4 kits that we use in India ?
Old 29th September 2010, 11:33   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Slightly OT: while checking Philips AU site, I came across D1S, D2R and D2S kits and my noob question is that if any of these kits is equivalent to H4 kits that we use in India ?
H4 type bulb base can not be matched with any other bulb bases and FIY D1S & D2S are specifically for projectors where D2R is for reflectors. And one more only H4 is dual beam (High/Low beams) within one bulb) and the rest are single beams.

There are aftermarket converters to use a H4 bulb in an H7 socket.

Have a look at this:

This is H4
Name:  h4.JPG
Views: 6882
Size:  13.3 KB

D1S
Name:  D1S_Size.jpg
Views: 4531
Size:  49.3 KB

D2S
Name:  D2S_Size.jpg
Views: 5323
Size:  49.6 KB

D2R
Name:  D2R_Size.jpg
Views: 4515
Size:  47.3 KB
Old 29th September 2010, 11:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pankaj_sachdeva View Post
Those are different types of HID bulbs that are used in projector headlamp assemblies (D2S and D1S) and reflector assemblies (D2R). The R stands for reflector and this type is used in the Corolla Altis and only for the low beam.

If you have a reflector assembly that is not designed for HIDs, using HIDs can cause glare and an improperly focussed headlamp can literally blind oncoming drivers. As TBHPians we are well aware of the nuisance caused by what I call the 'blue bulb brigade' and others who drive with high beams on.

Please make sure your headlamps are adjusted in such a manner that minimise glare.

PS - Saw sajjt's post (thanks sajjt) with diagram of the bulbs. The main difference between D1 or D2S and R type bulbs is the black strip on top of the bulb which helps cut glare. There may also be variations in the distance of the discharge arc capsule from the base (not sure) as focal length of projector and reflectors are different. The Altis uses two types of headlamp assemblies though they look the same to the casual observer. .

Last edited by R2D2 : 29th September 2010 at 11:50. Reason: Added PS
Old 29th September 2010, 11:55   #15
BHPian

sajjt and R2D2, many thanks for explaining this. It was quite informative and I learned, something new to me, today.

R2D2, not that I am looking to use HIDs in stock headlight assembly without projectors, I just wanted to have the clarity on the difference in the type of bulbs. I absolutely hate the people who drive with High Beams on everytime and i use my car's highbeam only when necassary.
Closed Thread