Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 26th December 2010, 09:24   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Civic Dyno Run no.2 - With performance exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
Dinesh, was good to meet you at RRP yesterday, so what time did you complete the work and get back? and more importantly, how is the car running now? any issues with CEL? has the low end improved?
Good to meet you too. The work got done by 6pm. The car's running great, of course could not drive much as I was yesterday at home as some guests are at home. No CEL issues, there's wee bit more sound which should subside once the carbon builds up.
The throttle response is decidedly superior. As GTO said, no hesitation, flat spots etc, in short, its pulls very clean at low revs. I should say, one of the most VFM solutions for the Civic low end weakness. And, the test drive was done by none other than Leelakrishnan. He gave his nod and said she is performing better than his own Civic auto. I did not need a better certificate. On high revs, she gives a raspy note which is really nice. On low and medium revs, shes silent as stock. There's a slight metallic tingle just when cranking up, which Leela has told will die down once carbon builds up. Overall, I'm very very happy
For the records, it was not that easy an install as I had initially thought. The catcon is mounted vertically inside the front of the engine bay right behind the radiator. Its directly bolted on to the exhaust manifold with a flange. So, accessibility was a breeze. But, when removed, I saw that it had 3 connections to it apart from the inlet and outlet. Two sensors, one at start and one at end and another pipe from the end to the inlet side, which is the EGR system. Moreover, the exit joint was a floating type and it was difficult to fabricate a flange like that, so the suggestion was to cut the lower joint from the catcon and weld it to the downpipe. My heart was racing as I had wanted a total bolt-on unit. Leela came in and inspected all this and suggested we go ahead. He was not worried about the sensors and he also instructed his men to make a provision for EGR is the downpipe to be fabricated and also to proceed with cutting the floating joint. He reassured me and asked me to be cool. In the end, the experience showed, the cars a hoot to drive now.
The workmanship is very good at RRP and the workforce is passionate about their work. The facility is maintained very clean and its a joy being there. Will be doing a PUC soon, but I'm pretty much sure it will go through as all of RRP rally cars pass the PUC without any sort of catcon or EGR. Here are some photos during the install, starting with car on the ramp, catcon removed (you can see the lower floating joint), downpipe and inlet fabrication in progress, the EGR line being welded on. Forgot to take photos after the two sensors were attached. Once the everything was done and the cover placed back, it was difficult to notice any sort of mod.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Civic Dyno Run no.2 - With performance exhaust-img00095.jpg  

Honda Civic Dyno Run no.2 - With performance exhaust-img00096.jpg  

Honda Civic Dyno Run no.2 - With performance exhaust-img00097.jpg  

Honda Civic Dyno Run no.2 - With performance exhaust-img00098.jpg  

Honda Civic Dyno Run no.2 - With performance exhaust-img00099.jpg  

Honda Civic Dyno Run no.2 - With performance exhaust-img00100.jpg  

dinu2506 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 12:47   #62
BHPian

Thanks for the detailed write up Dinesh, I got my car back ysterday and believe me you need to go for the additional bits, the car is a hoot to drive now
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 13:05   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
Thanks for the detailed write up Dinesh, I got my car back ysterday and believe me you need to go for the additional bits, the car is a hoot to drive now
Thats good to hear. Can you please share the mods you have done and the benefits you have seen.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 13:14   #64
Team-BHP Support

I think bolt on parts like this can be got from the US. They are called precat deletes there. Im quite sure those are the same.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 15:31   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Thats good to hear. Can you please share the mods you have done and the benefits you have seen.
Mods -

Wider tyres and alloys
Savage Muffler
Removal of catcon and straight pipe
BMC DIA
Malpassi FPR

I got the muffler from UK and had it fitted at FRK who did a fantastic job and the finish was very nice even though the stock is not straight like what I had got.

The BMC DIA and FPR were fitted at Red Rooster Performance and like you have said, the facilities there are just world class. I especially liked the fact that it is kept so neat and the work is so precise and the best part, Leela himself testing and tuning your car at the end.
killjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 23:43   #66
BHPian

@ you say its a VFM upgrade, how much did it cost you to get the catcon removed?
and absolutely stock sound upto 4-5k rpm right?
raghav.carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 19:05   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghav.carfreak View Post
@ you say its a VFM upgrade, how much did it cost you to get the catcon removed?
and absolutely stock sound upto 4-5k rpm right?
Costed me Rs 3200 including material. Its almost stock sound through the rev range. Just turns a little raspy at around 6000rpm. But the throttle response is superb.
dinu2506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2013, 23:30   #68
Senior - BHPian

I was just playing with the thought of putting a FFE on my Civic but want to retain the cat con as i am more interested in the sound.I wrote to Automech and they promised a cat back system with some improvement in performance as well as the sound.

Has anyone done such a set up on the Civic ?.I am happy with the performance and just want a better sporty sound.Will such a cat back setup cause any issues with respective to FE and performance if fitted ?

Thanks
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2013, 19:18   #69
BHPian

Default Re: Dyno Graph Overlay

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
True. In the newer graph, torque does seem to be marginally lower. Horsepower, on the other hand, seems to be consistently higher...through the revv range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salilpawar1 View Post
Posting another overlay approach of the dyno results.
  1. This overlay is SAME as the one posted in my previous post (post no. 27). It is made by directly merging the dyno results.Attachment 448076
  2. This is the second overlay. But here I've merged the two graphs taking into account the dyno error. So, the top end figures of the both the graphs are made to coincide at the same RPM. The curves are (obviously) unchanged but only I've shifted them along the horizontal axis to account for the RPM error in the dyno.Attachment 448077
Edit: In the second graph, ignore the vertical dotted line at the 6850 RPM mark.

Sorry for bringing up such an old discussion, but I think it's worth it.

GTO's comment caught my eye - you can't have the same torque but more Horsepower at the same RPM.
So it got me thinking - and the reason for this discrepancy is that while you can safely shift the torque curve laterally to fix any errors in the RPM measurement, you can't simply shift the horsepower chart.
This is because horsepower is a function of RPM & Torque.

HP = k * Torque * RPM.

So if the dyno had a positive error of about 200RPM with the new exhaust, we need to derate the power rating by 200/6500RPM*100 %, which works out to be about 3.7BHP.

So IMO, the gains shown were mostly because of dyno error.
What do you guys think?
d3mon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2014, 14:57   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
Costed me Rs 3200 including material. Its almost stock sound through the rev range. Just turns a little raspy at around 6000rpm. But the throttle response is superb.
Hi Civic folks in Mumbai,

Where can we get this done in Mumbai?? Any reliable place which is an expert for these type of jobs?

at 3.5K this mod is a steal!!!
2000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote