Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 3rd November 2010, 07:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Increasing under-thigh support in an Indica V2 Turbo Diesel

We have been observing for quite a while now that our Indica V2 Turbo Diesel's seats, the angle, the comfort level and under-thigh support was never quite up to the mark.

Looks like the Tata Indica's and several other cars in India are designed by some severely vertically challenged people as a "one size fits all" kind of undertaking - at least in terms of the seats and upholstery. No sense of ergonomics or driving comfort. The designers dont seem to take into account the importance of under-thigh support!

However I must say that all Maruti cars in my experience have extremely comfy front seats. Nice ergonomics and good under-thigh support too.

Since our Indica V2 Turbo Diesel is otherwise in superb condition, and we've just done a complete tyre and alloy wheel upgrade etc, we thought it well worth while getting this job done too so that the car lasts with us for considerably longer and provides us with the requisite comfort.

For a tall person, the stock Indica seats are frankly quite terrible. Especially for long distance driving or for prolonged periods in the car because the legs do tend to get very tired on account of the severe lack of under thigh support.

We went to SPROCKET in Koramangala and spent some time with the technical chaps there to see what could be done. The work identified was as follows;
Rip out the existing upholstery
completely re-bolster the seats and firm them up
add to and extend the front seats frames by 2-3 inches by welding a metal tubular additional part-frame onto the seat the bottom.
cover the whole thing with firmer foam and then re-upholster the car
increase back support by introducing a piece for the lower back.
once all this was done, to completely re-upholster the car in beige artificial leather.
we had to keep in mind the economics too so we didnt get the entire car re-upholstered from top to toe, but we certainly succeeded in breaking the monotony of the horrible drab grey by introducing elements of "butterscotch" inside - which by the way is a better match for the red car.
Changed the carpets too to beige - from Reliance Autozone at the princely sum of Rs 630/-
Also added the transparent pvc carpets to help contain mud and muck.
and a pair of soft seat belt cushions so that the seat belts dont cut into the shoulder/ collar-bone while wearing them.
the re-upholstery job was undertaken and finished off in a matter of 3 days - by OVION upholsterers and they have done a very good job indeed. SPROCKET out-sourced the job on our behalf.

The car came back last night and I drove the car this morning - it is really a whole new feeling. Much more comfortable indeed!!
The front two seats bottoms have been extended by a massive 2-3 inches and now I receive sound support right upto my knee joint. This is like sitting in an easy chair and truly is very comfortable. I am 6 ft 2 inches tall so this is saying quite a lot in my opinion.And there is NO problem with Ingress and Egress from the vehicle.

Here are some photos. I unfortunately do not have photos of how it was earlier though.

But all in all having spent about Rs 14-15000 on the whole job, both my Dad and I are extremely satisfied with what we've got in return!

Now - I am thinking of replicating the job for my Scorpio. The Scorpio is certainly better than the Indica in terms of under thigh support but, I think if I get this done, it will enhance it considerably.

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Increasing under-thigh support in an Indica V2 Turbo Diesel-03112010645.jpg  

Increasing under-thigh support in an Indica V2 Turbo Diesel-03112010646.jpg  

Increasing under-thigh support in an Indica V2 Turbo Diesel-03112010647.jpg  

Increasing under-thigh support in an Indica V2 Turbo Diesel-19102010612.jpg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 3rd November 2010 at 07:47.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 08:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

The finish seems very good, by increasing the length of the seat has it become difficult to reach for the seat adjustment lever placed under the seat? Or was that altered too?
Lukeskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

not really - but yes one has to stretch a bit more to push or pull it.
however, in this particular car, both front seats are usually pushed back to the maximum as my Mum and Dad prefer to have more legroom than less. And most of the time there are only 2 persons using this car. Hence in this case the under seat lever is accessed more by exception than by rule.
yes the finish quality of the upholstery is very good. Hides all the twiddly bits beneath.
But the main thing is the superlative incremental comfort on account of under-thigh support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
The finish seems very good, by increasing the length of the seat has it become difficult to reach for the seat adjustment lever placed under the seat? Or was that altered too?
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 12:13   #4
BHPian

Default Re: Increasing under-thigh support in an Indica V2 Turbo Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
not really - but yes one has to stretch a bit more to push or pull it.
however, in this particular car, both front seats are usually pushed back to the maximum as my Mum and Dad prefer to have more legroom than less. And most of the time there are only 2 persons using this car. Hence in this case the under seat lever is accessed more by exception than by rule.
yes the finish quality of the upholstery is very good. Hides all the twiddly bits beneath.
But the main thing is the superlative incremental comfort on account of under-thigh support.
Hi Shankar, Where exactly is this place located in Koramangala, also any contact person and number that you can share? I am planning on improving the rear seat comfort in my Getz (raise a little bit as it feels too low for my family members). Thanks for sharing the details of the work you got done. It seems they are good at doing this.
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2011, 13:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Increasing under-thigh support in an Indica V2 Turbo Diesel

tha chaps I gave it to were SPROCKET in Koramangala - close to the GK Vale shop.
They in turn outsourced it to OVION - I suggest you go straight to Ovion themselves.
cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Hi Shankar, Where exactly is this place located in Koramangala, also any contact person and number that you can share? I am planning on improving the rear seat comfort in my Getz (raise a little bit as it feels too low for my family members). Thanks for sharing the details of the work you got done. It seems they are good at doing this.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote