Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 11:12   #181
BHPian
 
chetanhanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 888
Thanked: 42 Times
Exclamation Urgent advice needed - car seats for infants!!

Guys, does anyone know if I can buy a child seat in India which is "FAA" approved ? Airlines only allow "FAA" approved seats.I'm in US currently, need to come to India to pick up my family and I have only few days in India before I return - not sure If I will be able to go "seat hunting" in this small window.Anyone having any advice/suggestions..anything please post , it will be greatly appreciated.
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 19:21   #182
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,640
Thanked: 1,169 Times
Default Re: Urgent advice needed - car seats for infants!!

You can barely get decent child seats here finding FAA approved ones would be difficult. Best thing would be to get one from the US itself.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2010, 19:23   #183
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 161 Times
Default Re: Urgent advice needed - car seats for infants!!

do you plan to buy a seat (in airplane) for your child? if traveling in lap (possible if < 2 yrs), there is no way you can use it in plane. you would be better off buying a car-seat and leaving it here for use after you return.

AFAIK, cabs and commercial vehicles are generally exempted from child seat laws. check your local laws.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 11:39   #184
BHPian
 
deep_bang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore / Boise
Posts: 549
Thanked: 221 Times
Default Re: Urgent advice needed - car seats for infants!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
Guys, does anyone know if I can buy a child seat in India which is "FAA" approved ? Airlines only allow "FAA" approved seats.I'm in US currently, need to come to India to pick up my family and I have only few days in India before I return - not sure If I will be able to go "seat hunting" in this small window.Anyone having any advice/suggestions..anything please post , it will be greatly appreciated.
You would need FAA approved seats if you want to use the seat within the cabin. Do you plan to do so?

Otherwise, you can always checkin the seat - and i dont think FAA has anything to do in this case. You can still check with the airlines.

Buying a Car Seat in the US is any day far better - quality wise as well as cost wise. I had bought a Graco seat for around 100$, but comparable ones here are more expensive in India (like 10k in Mothercare).
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 12:35   #185
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 1,835
Thanked: 869 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Chetan,

Mothercare sells their excellent car seat range here in India. The quality is world-class and I have used it extensively over the last 4 years.

However I doubt if any are FAA-approved (at least my 3 seats do not have any FAA-approved labels etc) as it entails extra testing and conformity to the specific FAA requirements.

You've not mentioned how old your child is or which airline you'll be using. I assume that you are buying a 'child' ticket for him/her.

My suggestion is to call your airline and ask for a list of approved seats. Then call Mothercare US and cross-check whether you can buy it in India or not.

Alternatively, buy it in the US itself and bring it to India if at all possible.

Hope this helps.
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 17:27   #186
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 403
Thanked: 103 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Chetan,

Mothercare sells their excellent car seat range here in India. The quality is world-class and I have used it extensively over the last 4 years.
+1. I am using one for my son for almost 6+ years, it is child seat and booster seat. Certainly one of the best you can get across world. Atleast 15% higher than the Europe, but nothing less when it comes to quality.

Last edited by manjubp : 10th December 2010 at 17:28.
manjubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 04:07   #187
BHPian
 
chetanhanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 888
Thanked: 42 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
You would need FAA approved seats if you want to use the seat within the cabin. Do you plan to do so?

Otherwise, you can always checkin the seat - and i dont think FAA has anything to do in this case. You can still check with the airlines.

Buying a Car Seat in the US is any day far better - quality wise as well as cost wise. I had bought a Graco seat for around 100$, but comparable ones here are more expensive in India (like 10k in Mothercare).
Yes, I'd be using the seat in the cabin since I'm not getting a basinet for the given dates.
The kid is 5 months old - he would need to be placed in a child seat.
FAA doesn't have to do anything directly, its just that the airlines need a "FAA approved" seat to allow on their aircraft.
Exactly - I just bought a "travel system" yesterday i.e combination of stroller + removable seat which also serves as car + airline seat
I'll be checking it in on my way back to India, approx +150$ for carrrying it via checkin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
+1. I am using one for my son for almost 6+ years, it is child seat and booster seat. Certainly one of the best you can get across world. Atleast 15% higher than the Europe, but nothing less when it comes to quality.
Great to hear we have quality seats in India but Im sure the airlines will not approve it, it needs to have special certified sticker on the side to make it FAA approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Chetan,

Mothercare sells their excellent car seat range here in India. The quality is world-class and I have used it extensively over the last 4 years.

However I doubt if any are FAA-approved (at least my 3 seats do not have any FAA-approved labels etc) as it entails extra testing and conformity to the specific FAA requirements.

You've not mentioned how old your child is or which airline you'll be using. I assume that you are buying a 'child' ticket for him/her.

My suggestion is to call your airline and ask for a list of approved seats. Then call Mothercare US and cross-check whether you can buy it in India or not.

Alternatively, buy it in the US itself and bring it to India if at all possible.

Hope this helps.
I called the airlines (Continental) before hand - 2 options were given, either take " child on lap" or "seperate child seat". For the given dates option 2 was the only choice.
By the way the kid is 5 months and would have preferrred a basinet, but will have to manage with this seat now

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
You can barely get decent child seats here finding FAA approved ones would be difficult. Best thing would be to get one from the US itself.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
do you plan to buy a seat (in airplane) for your child? if traveling in lap (possible if < 2 yrs), there is no way you can use it in plane. you would be better off buying a car-seat and leaving it here for use after you return.

AFAIK, cabs and commercial vehicles are generally exempted from child seat laws. check your local laws.
A separate seat needs to be bought.l

Last edited by Eddy : 27th December 2010 at 18:21. Reason: Back to back posts.
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2010, 12:57   #188
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,640
Thanked: 1,169 Times
Default Re: Urgent advice needed - car seats for infants!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda View Post
Yes, I'd be using the seat in the cabin since I'm not getting a basinet for the given dates.
The kid is 5 months old - he would need to be placed in a child seat.
FAA doesn't have to do anything directly, its just that the airlines need a "FAA approved" seat to allow on their aircraft.
Exactly - I just bought a "travel system" yesterday i.e combination of stroller + removable seat which also serves as car + airline seat
I'll be checking it in on my way back to India, approx +150$ for carrrying it via checkin.
$150 for check in of a child seat Is this over and above your regular allowance of 2 suitcases. If yes I would suggest that you use a largish canvas bag or similar and pack the child seat with its carton in the same. Check this in as regular luggage. The charge for the third piece should be no more than $70.

In case if you indeed have to pay the $150, do check in the seat in its packing. Last summer my nephew's stroller came out of the hold with its legs twisted. The airline did compensate but the purpose was defeated. Take care.

On a slightly different note, on the day of your departure from India arrive early for check in. Chances are that upon request the check-in staff will either try and get you seats in one of the first rows (with or without bassinet) with more room for the car seat or if you are OK with sitting at the absolute rear they might give you a block of 3 seats even though you may be a family of 2+infant. The probability of this extra care coming your way goes up if you/your spouse or even your child alone has an American passport.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 11:59   #189
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 23
Thanked: 7 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Has anyone used Britax First Class Plus in Scorpio Vlx? I am looking for a child seat for my 2 month old and tried to fit in the First Class Plus in the rearward facing position but was unable to do so (the seat belt isin't long enough to go around the child seat). The guys st shopper's stop have no clue about how to fit the child seat so had to try on my own... has anyone been able to fit in Britax First Class Plus in Scorpio Vlx, just making sure that I am not missing anything?

Any other child seat recommendations for Scorpio Vlx? Thanks!
ukoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th December 2010, 22:47   #190
BHPian
 
neel385's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Kharagpur
Posts: 492
Thanked: 185 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Just bought the Mothercare Advance SP car seat for my kiddo.
+ Points: Excellent build quality, rock solid when attached, a stage I-III seat i.e. works for kids from 9 Kg to 36 Kg.
- Points: Only one till now- the back rest of the seat is vertical and as a result the kid cannot sleep comfortably in the seat since his head falls over once he dozes off. The back rest can be inclined back slightly and I have readjusted the seat so that the back now has a slightly reclined position so hope it helps!!
neel385 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 09:48   #191
BHPian
 
shyamhegde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 284
Thanked: 3 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Just bought the Mothercare Advance SP car seat for my kiddo.
+ Points: Excellent build quality, rock solid when attached, a stage I-III seat i.e. works for kids from 9 Kg to 36 Kg.
- Points: Only one till now- the back rest of the seat is vertical and as a result the kid cannot sleep comfortably in the seat since his head falls over once he dozes off. The back rest can be inclined back slightly and I have readjusted the seat so that the back now has a slightly reclined position so hope it helps!!
We use a Graco one, and the inclination is limited due to car seat's inclination and not the booster seat. It is fine when booster seat in front seat of my Santro with back reclined sufficiently, But do not use it that way on long drives.
shyamhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 15:54   #192
BHPian
 
nkapoor777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 568
Thanked: 75 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
Just bought the Mothercare Advance SP car seat for my kiddo.
+ Points: Excellent build quality, rock solid when attached, a stage I-III seat i.e. works for kids from 9 Kg to 36 Kg.
- Points: Only one till now- the back rest of the seat is vertical and as a result the kid cannot sleep comfortably in the seat since his head falls over once he dozes off. The back rest can be inclined back slightly and I have readjusted the seat so that the back now has a slightly reclined position so hope it helps!!
Thanks for the tip. In fact, this model is also on my shopping list; hope to buy it this weekend. I have been using a rear facing seat for my 2-year old (bought from Mothercare; really good quality); its time to spin him around and make him see the world in front while driving.
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 10:31   #193
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 124
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Can some one please let me the know the cost of a good rear-facing Infant car seat from Mothercare or any other shop in Chennai?
thangu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 10:53   #194
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,380
Thanked: 804 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Best best is to call Shoppers Stop and find out. Mothercare products are are sold through shoppers stop in India. You should be able to get good quality rear-facing child seats for about Rs. 10K approx (something like maxi-cosi brand or equivalent). The shop keeps a catalogue which you can browse thru and order something if it is not readily available for sale.
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2011, 13:42   #195
BHPian
 
deep_bang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore / Boise
Posts: 549
Thanked: 221 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by thangu View Post
Can some one please let me the know the cost of a good rear-facing Infant car seat from Mothercare or any other shop in Chennai?
Apart from what @androdev mentioned, buy a car seat that can also be used as a front facing one later on. This means you can effectively use the car seat upto about 4 to 5 years (may be more - i am not sure) of the child's age.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Indian cars to become "Child Seat" friendly from October 2014 mints21 The Indian Car Scene 18 20th May 2016 15:38
Asta la vista babies Asta_la_vista Introduce yourself 5 15th October 2015 19:13
Carkoon- Enhanced Safety Child Car Seat flyingkolors Modifications & Accessories 4 16th January 2013 00:02
Babies Day Out - Hosur OTR Report - 3-Jul-10 svsantosh 4x4 Excursions 42 7th July 2010 18:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:06.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks