Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2011, 11:08   #241
BHPian
 
prithvi_seln's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: CHENNAI
Posts: 72
Thanked: 9 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukoul View Post
Has anyone used Britax First Class Plus in Scorpio Vlx? I am looking for a child seat for my 2 month old and tried to fit in the First Class Plus in the rearward facing position but was unable to do so (the seat belt isin't long enough to go around the child seat). The guys st shopper's stop have no clue about how to fit the child seat so had to try on my own... has anyone been able to fit in Britax First Class Plus in Scorpio Vlx, just making sure that I am not missing anything?

Any other child seat recommendations for Scorpio Vlx? Thanks!
@ukoul Hi welcome to the Beast World... Even i own a Scorpio Refresh Vlx 8 seater and i faced the similar problem of seat belt length less for my child seats (Mothercare Advance SP), i tried various options and atlast bought the WESCO performance Universal Seat Belt Extender from the US. it costs about 16-17 $ and easy to install. I think you need to try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Did you figure it out?

My daughters car seat needs only the lap part of the belt for being held in place. It does not need the chest harness.
Your seat might be like this.
@bblost - Based on my automobile knowledge...any three point seat belt must be used with the waist holder as well as the chest arrest er. Even when my car seat was first installed by the mothercare representatives it was installed wrongly and the seat was not rigid, then i read through the manual fully and installed as per the instruction... i am not sure what make/kind of child seat you are using, i recommend you to go through the manual and then install it as per the recommendations.
prithvi_seln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2011, 11:39   #242
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,237
Thanked: 5,548 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithvi_seln View Post
@bblost - Based on my automobile knowledge...any three point seat belt must be used with the waist holder as well as the chest arrest er. Even when my car seat was first installed by the mothercare representatives it was installed wrongly and the seat was not rigid, then i read through the manual fully and installed as per the instruction... i am not sure what make/kind of child seat you are using, i recommend you to go through the manual and then install it as per the recommendations.
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-picture1-002.jpg

If you observe the chest protection part of the seatbelt its not tethered to the rear of the car seat.

There is a metal locking clip that has been provided to maintain the tightness.

I installed the car seat. Secured a pillow and took the car out for a very energetic drive to office and back home. Total distance around 24. The seat remained secure the whole time.

Its after this that I started using it with my princess.

Last edited by bblost : 25th April 2011 at 11:40.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 11:22   #243
BHPian
 
MillionSwords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chennai Pattanam [ellam kattanam]
Posts: 172
Thanked: 0 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Mothercare guys are so pathetic. We are better on our own to read the manual and fix it. They do not know to fold a pram/stroller too.
MillionSwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2011, 12:21   #244
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,000
Thanked: 5,062 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
We are better on our own to read the manual and fix it.
Absolutely vital to do so. Having taken the care and spent the money, who would trust their child's safety to a shop assistant?
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2011, 21:59   #245
BHPian
 
hrishig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 371
Thanked: 9 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

can anybody comment if buying the car seat online is better than purchasing it at shopper stop or mom & me? Do we need any support from the shops ( or do they provide any support ) if needed for installation?

Also the price is varying between 5k till 11k. I am looking for 1 month baby & planning to use it till 2.5 years. So what features should I look for & what can be VFM options in pune?
hrishig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 12:51   #246
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,764
Thanked: 365 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Hi hrishig,
I am also shortly planning to buy a baby car seat for my two year old.
I think you should physically place your baby in the seat and check it out in person. If you freeze on the model, then maybe online shopping may be viable.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 13:19   #247
BHPian
 
nkapoor777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 567
Thanked: 75 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
can anybody comment if buying the car seat online is better than purchasing it at shopper stop or mom & me? Do we need any support from the shops ( or do they provide any support ) if needed for installation?

Also the price is varying between 5k till 11k. I am looking for 1 month baby & planning to use it till 2.5 years. So what features should I look for & what can be VFM options in pune?
There are a number of options available. Go through some of the earlier posts in this thread and you can find out. You may end up using the rear-facing infant car seat till your kid is 2 years old. But remember, the decision to move on to the next level is dependant on height and weight of the child and not his age. Read the specs carefully to find out. It depends on your budget really if you want to spend 10k-odd on a car seat which you can only use for a short time.

There are VFM models available from Mothercare and others between 4-5k after which you can move to a front-facing seat which can be used till the kid is big enough to use adult seat belts (10-11 years). You may be looking at models which are flexible enough to be used as both rear-facing and front-facing seats but these can only serve you till your child is 3-4 years. Decision is yours! I opted for a VFM rear-facing infant seat model from Mothercare and moved on to a front-facing seat when my kid turned two years old.

My experience with shop assistants at various stores in mixed since most of them aren't trained well enough. You're better off reading the manual and doing a DIY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Hi hrishig,
I am also shortly planning to buy a baby car seat for my two year old.
I think you should physically place your baby in the seat and check it out in person. If you freeze on the model, then maybe online shopping may be viable.
+1. Its always better to physically check if the child is comfortable in the car seat before the purchase.
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2011, 19:02   #248
BHPian
 
rock18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 310
Thanked: 53 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

I bought a baby seat from mothercare for 6999rs. It can be used from 3months upto 4years.
It can be used as both forward facing and rear facing.
My 14 months daughter was very comfortable in that seat in our recent 8hrs trip.
rock18 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2011, 13:24   #249
BHPian
 
hrishig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 371
Thanked: 9 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock18 View Post
I bought a baby seat from mothercare for 6999rs. It can be used from 3months upto 4years.
It can be used as both forward facing and rear facing.
My 14 months daughter was very comfortable in that seat in our recent 8hrs trip.

Can you tell me the model?
hrishig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 19:26   #250
BHPian
 
amip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 166
Thanked: Once
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

i have recently bought a Mothercare Seville combnaton car seat. It fits fine in the Safari, but not in the Getz. Similar problem of seat belt length being too small.

Ideas on how the length can be extended and if this is safe? or can i get longer seatbelts from somewhere?
amip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 07:59   #251
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,496
Thanked: 2,964 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrishig View Post
Can you tell me the model?
Its a Mothercare seville. 7k

But I'd recommend the Evenflo Titan Elite: Titan 9k from Mom & Me. They didnt even give a "Baby on Board" sticker for free - when their guestbook was full of requests to be intimated "when there is a sale!!"

Pros:
a. 5 point harness
b. Reclines much better than the Seville.
c. Very nice plush cushioning for the baby.

We wanted the Chicco Proxima but its now replaced by the Elita, which are both out of stock in Delhi for the next 1 month +

Quote:
Originally Posted by amip View Post
i have recently bought a Mothercare Seville combnaton car seat. It fits fine in the Safari, but not in the Getz. Similar problem of seat belt length being too small.

Ideas on how the length can be extended and if this is safe? or can i get longer seatbelts from somewhere?
Use the central rear seat!
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 10:45   #252
BHPian
 
amip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 166
Thanked: Once
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Use the central rear seat!
Wow! My brain must have stopped working - you're absolutely right - switched sides & it fits like a glove. Thanks phamilyman!
amip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 13:37   #253
BHPian
 
Hudson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Sawantwadi / Pune
Posts: 36
Thanked: Once
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Currently looking out for a convertible car seat. I've shortlisted 3 models.

1. Graco Smart Seat All-in-One Convertible Car Seat
Price: $300 available on Toysrus

2. Britax Boulevard 70
Price: $240 available on Amazon

3. Evenflo Momentum 65 DLX featuring SureLATCH
Price: $180 available on Amazon

I'm planning to buy it through ShopYourWorld.com . Is it a good idea?

Appreciate your thoughts if anyone has first hand experience on any of the above models.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2011, 16:26   #254
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,237
Thanked: 5,548 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

My daughter is very comfortable in her seat. But yesterday was the first time we were doing a slightly long trip back home (approx 20 kms) late in evening. The route involved some driving on roads without street lightning.

The flashing lights of the passing vehicles, combined with the darkness of the car freaked her out.

She cried her heart out. Had no choice but to get her out of the seat and her mummy console her.

No more late evening trips till she is a little older.

Just a warning to other parents. Just one more thing to consider.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 14:27   #255
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ghaziabad/Hyderabad/Mysore
Posts: 1,415
Thanked: 313 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My daughter is very comfortable in her seat. But yesterday was the first time we were doing a slightly long trip back home (approx 20 kms) late in evening. The route involved some driving on roads without street lightning.

The flashing lights of the passing vehicles, combined with the darkness of the car freaked her out.

She cried her heart out. Had no choice but to get her out of the seat and her mummy console her.

No more late evening trips till she is a little older.

Just a warning to other parents. Just one more thing to consider.

How old is your daughter? Mine is about 5 months now.

Some questions regarding the child seat:
  1. Should it be put in the middle or on the side of the rear seat?
  2. If on a side, which side (I guess answer will depend on probability of any accidents)?
I'll go through the whole thread and come back with more questions - but these are the more urgent ones that didn't have an answer on the last two pages of the thread.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Indian cars to become "Child Seat" friendly from October 2014 mints21 The Indian Car Scene 18 20th May 2016 15:38
Asta la vista babies Asta_la_vista Introduce yourself 5 15th October 2015 19:13
Carkoon- Enhanced Safety Child Car Seat flyingkolors Modifications & Accessories 4 16th January 2013 00:02
Babies Day Out - Hosur OTR Report - 3-Jul-10 svsantosh 4x4 Excursions 42 7th July 2010 18:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:07.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks