Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 15:07   #286
BHPian
 
arvind71181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TN-07
Posts: 626
Thanked: 545 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Came across this link:

Are car seats in front seat safe? | CarSeat.se

How true is it? Because till now I have generally heard that children with car seats (or) otherwise should be present in the back seat only.

Also, till what age are children kept in the rear facing seats? and when will they be turned around to be front facing? Thanks in advance for the answers.
arvind71181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 15:25   #287
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,637
Thanked: 3,051 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

@arvind71181; A very thought provoking note. I know the French call the front passengers seat,'La Chaise Mort'. I do not think I need to translate. Many EU countries simply ban children below 10/12 from the front seats. Now with this article the debate can be reopened.

It will not be easy (and may not be advisable) to provide a facility to disable the passenger side airbag for starters.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 15:52   #288
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,548
Thanked: 1,718 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@arvind71181; A very thought provoking note. I know the French call the front passengers seat,'La Chaise Mort'. I do not think I need to translate. Many EU countries simply ban children below 10/12 from the front seats. Now with this article the debate can be reopened.

It will not be easy (and may not be advisable) to provide a facility to disable the passenger side airbag for starters.
I totally agree with you here. In fact, it only takes one instance of forgetting to either switch the airbag on or off to result in a huge risk.

IMHO, it is best to follow the practice of seating kids in the rear. Ideally in child seats, but if these are not available, they should at least be seated and buckled up. Unfortunately, we all notice a lot of child passengers standing immediately behind the hand brake between both seats. One small impact is all it takes for the child to be off balance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
How true is it? Because till now I have generally heard that children with car seats (or) otherwise should be present in the back seat only.

Also, till what age are children kept in the rear facing seats? and when will they be turned around to be front facing? Thanks in advance for the answers.
Regardless of presence/ absence of airbags, I would recommend that children should be seated and buckled up in the rear seat. Totally pointless and extremely dangerous in leaving them free to roam about.

Interesting question; I never noticed this, but it should be mentioned on the manual that comes with the car seat. I will try to find that and update this thread

Edit: Some info I found in the US manual issued by Honda. Attached a word doc, as I was facing issues with text formatting. My patience did not hold up as I tried to edit/ format twice but it didnt work. Patience is usually in short suppy, but worst on Monday afternoons I guess
Attached Files
File Type: doc From Honda Fit manual.doc (37.5 KB, 392 views)

Last edited by selfdrive : 5th September 2011 at 16:20.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 15:58   #289
BHPian
 
arvind71181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TN-07
Posts: 626
Thanked: 545 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I totally agree with you here. In fact, it only takes one instance of forgetting to either switch the airbag on or off to result in a huge risk.

IMHO, it is best to follow the practice of seating kids in the rear. Ideally in child seats, but if these are not available, they should at least be seated and buckled up. Unfortunately, we all notice a lot of child passengers standing immediately behind the hand brake between both seats. One small impact is all it takes for the child to be off balance.
The lack of air bags in a majority of the number of cars sold here would be of help here I guess . Seriously though, rear seat should be fine enough right? Also, till what age would a child be placed rear facing and when would he/she be tilted to be forward facing?

EDIT: Also, there are cars now in India which have the passenger air bag deactivation switch right? Correct me if I am wrong here

Last edited by arvind71181 : 5th September 2011 at 16:00.
arvind71181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 16:00   #290
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,222
Thanked: 5,531 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Also, till what age are children kept in the rear facing seats? and when will they be turned around to be front facing? Thanks in advance for the answers.
The car seat I bought has a sticker that says to keep it rear facing till the child weighs at least 10 kgs.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:36   #291
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,222
Thanked: 5,531 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

I have a trip planned to Chennai. Flying down with my daughter.
From there I have a car trip planned to Trichy. Its about 350 kms one way.
I have my sister's car, but no child seat.

What is the best way to pack my child seat for the flight.
Do they allow cardboard cartons in the flight. Can I wrap it up in some towels and seal it in a carton along with some clothes.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:50   #292
Team-BHP Support
 
Eddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 6,867
Thanked: 3,585 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Suggest you borrow a car seat from some friend in Chennai if you can.
Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 11:55   #293
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,459
Thanked: 3,085 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I have a trip planned to Chennai. Flying down with my daughter.
From there I have a car trip planned to Trichy. Its about 350 kms one way.
I have my sister's car, but no child seat.

What is the best way to pack my child seat for the flight.
Do they allow cardboard cartons in the flight. Can I wrap it up in some towels and seal it in a carton along with some clothes.
Why don't you just check-in the seat along with other baggage? It should be quite similar the way you check-in a stroller. Maybe itís good call up the airlines and reconfirm.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2011, 22:25   #294
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,222
Thanked: 5,531 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Why don't you just check-in the seat along with other baggage? It should be quite similar the way you check-in a stroller. Maybe itís good call up the airlines and reconfirm.
I have two child seats. One is for children under 10 kgs and the other which can be used till 4 years of age.

My daughter is still under the weight limit but about 2 cms more than the hieght limit. When I sat her in the seat, she was comfortable.
This seat being just a stage 1, is quite small. It fit inside a suitcase. I have my dad's clothes to borrow in Chennai. So I just kept a few bare essentials.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2011, 13:45   #295
Senior - BHPian
 
arun_josie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,978
Thanked: 2,859 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I have two child seats. One is for children under 10 kgs and the other which can be used till 4 years of age.

My daughter is still under the weight limit but about 2 cms more than the hieght limit. When I sat her in the seat, she was comfortable.
This seat being just a stage 1, is quite small. It fit inside a suitcase. I have my dad's clothes to borrow in Chennai. So I just kept a few bare essentials.
another option would be to send through travels like dhanunjaya. you can hand it over to them when the bus starts and collect it in chennai omni bus stand.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2011, 23:10   #296
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,222
Thanked: 5,531 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

When I removed my new car seat from the car and tried to fit it in a suitcase. I discovered the user manual.

It was tucked under the cushion. To be precise it was under the part that supports the head.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 22:31   #297
BHPian
 
nkapoor777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 567
Thanked: 75 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
When I removed my new car seat from the car and tried to fit it in a suitcase. I discovered the user manual.

It was tucked under the cushion. To be precise it was under the part that supports the head.
Haha! I thought I was the only fool in town. I discovered the manual two months later (had downloaded a soft copy though). But I still remember the sales person didn't mention anything about it to me. They should ideally.
nkapoor777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 10:57   #298
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 862
Thanked: 318 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Also, till what age are children kept in the rear facing seats? and when will they be turned around to be front facing?
Some one please tell me what are the different forces that act on the child who is buckled in a child seat. Please compare front-on collisions in a forward facing child seat and a back facing child seat. (I am assuming that front-on collisions have the most severe impact on occupants.)

Once we agree on the acting forces, we can easily decide whether a front facing or back facing child seat is better.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 18th November 2011 at 11:04.
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 11:13   #299
Team-BHP Support
 
bblost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 9,222
Thanked: 5,531 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
Some one please tell me what are the different forces that act on the child who is buckled in a child seat. Please compare front-on collisions in a forward facing child seat and a back facing child seat. (I am assuming that front-on collisions have the most severe impact on occupants.)

Once we agree on the acting forces, we can easily decide whether a front facing or back facing child seat is better.
Head on is not as bad as a side collision. The head on allows the engine and the crumble zones to take away a large part of the energy.

The head is the heaviest part of a child's body. When a child is sitting rear facing, in the event of a head on collision, the seat prevents the head from continuing in the forward direction relative to the vehicle.
This reduces the strain on the neck muscles.

If the child is forward facing then due to inertia the head will continue forward movement, while the body is being restrained by the harness.
This will put a lot of strain on the neck.

Head on collision is however the most common type of collision.
bblost is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th November 2011, 15:13   #300
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 862
Thanked: 318 Times
Default re: "Child Seat" for Babies & Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
If the child is forward facing then due to inertia the head will continue forward movement, while the body is being restrained by the harness.This will put a lot of strain on the neck.
Head on collision is however the most common type of collision.
So that means in a head-on collision, the child's neck should be strong enough to 'restrain' the head if the child seat is forward facing. How strong should the neck be, is determined by the following:
1. Speed of the vehicles involved. (Stronger neck needed for higher speeds).
2. Physical measurements of child (Height, Weight).

Now isn't it obvious that it is better to use a rear-facing child 'for as long as possible' regardless of the legal recommendations?

The law may allow a forward-facing child seat for kids above one year, but the neck may not necessarily be strong enough to 'restrain' the head in the event of high-speed head-on collisions.
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Indian cars to become "Child Seat" friendly from October 2014 mints21 The Indian Car Scene 18 20th May 2016 15:38
Asta la vista babies Asta_la_vista Introduce yourself 5 15th October 2015 19:13
Carkoon- Enhanced Safety Child Car Seat flyingkolors Modifications & Accessories 4 16th January 2013 00:02
Babies Day Out - Hosur OTR Report - 3-Jul-10 svsantosh 4x4 Excursions 42 7th July 2010 18:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:16.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks