Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2008, 22:30   #121
Senior - BHPian
 
ashthedivx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Somehow image could not got attached last time..
Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-new_buggy1.jpg  

ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2008, 23:34   #122
BHPian
 
deep_bang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore / Boise
Posts: 549
Thanked: 221 Times
Default

I have a seen a few of these and they are quite good.

The only disadvantage I see is probably the price. When i was looking at them a year back they were pretty expensive and i felt it would cost much less buying the car seat and pram seperately.

Also, do check the weight which the seat supports and whether you can use it rear facing or forward facing. The general rule is that for babies less than 20 pounds, the seat should be rear facing (the seat should support this) and for infants more than 20 pounds, they can be forward facing seats. Some car seats can only work as forward facing seats. So depending on your requirement check if it suits you.

@bIte tHe bulLet: I had a similar problem with my son (was 1 yr, 6 months back when we started to use car seat). I did not have an option of not using it, as I am right now in the US and it is the law here. He has gotten used it to pretty well now and he "knows" it is his seat. Sometimes, he goes to it by himself and tries to buckle himself with the belts. So far so good. The first few times, was a real problem as he was crying sometimes, and we too felt really bad for strapping him like that - but in the end, i feel good because, now he has accepted it, and he has his own set of accessories for his use (like a cup holder, a small side tray where he can keep something etc). We often give him some chocolete or soemthign to eat which he munches on - so all the eating mess is localised to his seat, but the good thing is that the seat cover is removable and machine washable.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2008, 10:13   #123
Senior - BHPian
 
ashthedivx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Delhi
Posts: 1,351
Thanked: 22 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
The only disadvantage I see is probably the price. When i was looking at them a year back they were pretty expensive and i felt it would cost much less buying the car seat and pram seperately.

Also, do check the weight which the seat supports and whether you can use it rear facing or forward facing. The general rule is that for babies less than 20 pounds, the seat should be rear facing (the seat should support this) and for infants more than 20 pounds, they can be forward facing seats. Some car seats can only work as forward facing seats. So depending on your requirement check if it suits you.
It might be costly three years ago, but currently pram with detachable car seat is available @ INR 2800.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do check out the fitment position before buying, if finalized.

Quote:
I did not have an option of not using it, as I am right now in the US and it is the law here. He has gotten used it to pretty well now and he "knows" it is his seat. Sometimes, he goes to it by himself and tries to buckle himself with the belts. So far so good.
Can you share some photographs of the said car-seat ??

Last edited by ashthedivx : 4th October 2008 at 10:20. Reason: Merging threads
ashthedivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2008, 02:40   #124
BHPian
 
deep_bang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore / Boise
Posts: 549
Thanked: 221 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashthedivx View Post
It might be costly three years ago, but currently pram with detachable car seat is available @ INR 2800.

Thanks for the tip. I'll do check out the fitment position before buying, if finalized.

Can you share some photographs of the said car-seat ??
2.8k is a very good price i think. When i was looking at them it was more than 7k - or may be it was fully imported then and now being produced locally. Just look at the quality of how much you are going to use it and make a decision.

Here is a photo of my son's seat. We used this at home too for a few days to make him get used to it. We felt it helps if he understands that it is "his" and it belongs to him.

This seat is Graco. But i have heard from many people including people in this forum that Britax is a really good brand, but may be more expensive too.
Attached Thumbnails
"Child Seat" for Babies & Kids-p1010017.jpg  


Last edited by deep_bang : 6th October 2008 at 02:44.
deep_bang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 11:01   #125
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: India
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

I've been running around cochin for sometime trying to find a good infant car seat, but have failed.
tried cherin jolly, my kingdom, seematti, kalyan silks etc. No luck!
I'm looking for a seat with a base that can be fixed to the car with the seat belt, and a child seat that clips/hooks on to this base.

I tried a few that were secured by seatbelts directly attaching to the child seat itself, but they were awfully fiddly and I can imagine the nightmare of trying to set one up with the kid in it.

some of them had substandard padding, some of them were downright dangerous and none of them had a removable base.

Can the bangy members help me out by TDing the britax/graco models available at Mothercare or any other shop there?
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 11:17   #126
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,602
Thanked: 14,875 Times
Default

I saw quite a few varieties at reliance Autozone. Priced much cheaper than Shoppers stop etc.,
for somebody looking for something in a lower budget, this can be a good option
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 11:34   #127
BHPian
 
mav2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 554
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Can we have some prices here, also what are the good brands available. There is a lot of local stuff and chinese stuff in the markets, which may not be very safe at the end of the day.
mav2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 12:09   #128
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 1,835
Thanked: 867 Times
Default

rippergeo,

For peace of mind, stick to Mothercare. I have 2 of them and they are of excellent quality identical to those sold in UK stores.

Mcare India does have a catalogue but only in print. However, you can check out the UK catalog on Mothercare - nursery furniture, pushchairs, car seats, baby clothes, toys & gifts or call any store (or the Bangalore ones) via
india : asia : international stores : Other pages : mothercare

Unfortunately, IIRC only the expensive ones (i.e. >8k) come with the removable bases.

BTW, it really is a habit to change and strap on the seats from car to car. I have got it down to around 2 minutes from door to door :-). Think about it; could save you money!
itwasntme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 17:52   #129
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: India
Posts: 1,745
Thanked: 17 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
rippergeo,

For peace of mind, stick to Mothercare. I have 2 of them and they are of excellent quality identical to those sold in UK stores.

Mcare India does have a catalogue but only in print. However, you can check out the UK catalog on Mothercare - nursery furniture, pushchairs, car seats, baby clothes, toys & gifts or call any store (or the Bangalore ones) via
india : asia : international stores : Other pages : mothercare

Unfortunately, IIRC only the expensive ones (i.e. >8k) come with the removable bases.

BTW, it really is a habit to change and strap on the seats from car to car. I have got it down to around 2 minutes from door to door :-). Think about it; could save you money!
thanks for that, I want to buy mothercare myself, called bangalore,but they dont ship to cochin, and its been a while since I last saw their models in the UK.

So you suggest that I get a rear facing infant seat, without bothering about the base, and I'll get used to it? I'm game! but I have no way of actually testing it in a car.
Any Swift owners who have tried the models in their cars?
The rear seat belts are long enough in the swift, but I had trouble setting up some of the local car seats up front.
rippergeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th October 2008, 20:37   #130
BHPian
 
jack33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: kochi
Posts: 128
Thanked: 4 Times
Default

@rippergeo I had tried Cochin last year,but couldn't find anything of good quality and bought a Maxicosi from Mothercare,Chennai for about 7500 Rs.Have been using it since she was 9 months and it's very good.
jack33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 15:23   #131
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: @ Driver's Seat @
Posts: 668
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Do booster seats be fixed on the front seats or the rear seats ? I am looking for one.

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th November 2008 at 18:56.
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 17:16   #132
BHPian
 
dr_know's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In & Out
Posts: 187
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Do booster seats be fixed on the front seats or the rear seats ? I am looking for one.
booster seats are recommended to be used on the rear seats as there are hazards with air bag deployment in the case of an accident

Last edited by Rehaan : 6th November 2008 at 18:56.
dr_know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 17:53   #133
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: @ Driver's Seat @
Posts: 668
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_know View Post
booster seats are recommended to be used on the rear seats as there are hazards with air bag deployment in the case of an accident

I got the idea, Thank you very much for the clarification

Assuming that I dont have the airbags as in Swift VXI, Will it be possible to use the same in the front seat ?
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2008, 19:57   #134
BHPian
 
dr_know's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: In & Out
Posts: 187
Thanked: Once
Default

Heres some more info and bear in mind that these are recommended only when theres NO option

Quote:
If the front passenger air bag has been deactivated and you have no alternative but to travel with your child in the front seat of a vehicle:

Adjust the front passenger seat to the rearmost track position by sliding the seat back as far as it will go.

Install the booster seat according to manufacturer's instructionsIf the front passenger air bag has been deactivated and you have no alternative but to travel with your baby in the front seat of a vehicle:

Clear the area between the infant seat and the door of all objects. Toys, blankets, and even pillows could harm your baby if the side air bag inflates.

Again, on the road, remind your child not to lean out of the booster seat and to keep his or her head, arms and feet away from the door and check your child's position frequently throughout the journey.
http://www.safekid.org/carTC4.htm

by the way, how old is your child?
dr_know is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2008, 14:40   #135
Senior - BHPian
 
androdev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 1,380
Thanked: 804 Times
Default ISOFIX child seats in India?

In spite of so many cars being sold in India with ISOFIX (Isofix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) attachments, I could not find a place that sells ISOFIX child seats in India. Any suggestions?
androdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Cayenne" we "XC-eed" in our "Endeavour" to "Safari"? Taking powerful metal off-road SS-Traveller 4x4 Excursions 55 10th November 2016 22:56
Indian cars to become "Child Seat" friendly from October 2014 mints21 The Indian Car Scene 18 20th May 2016 15:38
Asta la vista babies Asta_la_vista Introduce yourself 5 15th October 2015 19:13
Carkoon- Enhanced Safety Child Car Seat flyingkolors Modifications & Accessories 4 16th January 2013 00:02
Babies Day Out - Hosur OTR Report - 3-Jul-10 svsantosh 4x4 Excursions 42 7th July 2010 18:59


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks