Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 21st November 2010, 19:31   #1
BHPian

Unhappy Need ways of improving comfort (ergonomics) in Alto.

Hello all,

I have an Alto Lx (2007) and it used to hardly run around 500Km a month on average. I am 5'11'' and it has never been very comfortable but its been okay for a car in its segment. I have recently started driving around 35-40Km daily and now ive started getting very tired driving it to work everyday. I have started looking for reasons to take my father's CityZX instead. But that happens rarely as he is not comfortable driving Alto.

I have started getting a mild back ache on some days. Am worried it should not develop into a problem. Is there anything i can do to make the ride (seat etc) more comforatble.
I drive sedately on good chandigarh roads and i dont think the Manual (non power steering) is the issue.
Somehow i think this is a problem with the seats. They have no proper support for the back or thighs. Can something be done to fix this? Or could it be another problem.

I would also like reviews from anyone else who is tall and drives an Alto this much. Does someone else face a similar problem?

@ Mods: was thinking of posting under the ' Modding an Alto ' thread, but this i thought that is mostly for performance or visual mods and mine is a problem im facing. Please move if any appropriate thread exists.
guptavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2010, 19:38   #2
BANNED

This is a common problem and nothing much can be done about it. The best option would be to go in for a tall boy like the Wagon R or Santro.
Live To Jive is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2014, 19:34   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Need ways of improving comfort (ergonomics) in Alto.

Wish I had joined sooner and answered guptavis's query ! You must have changed your car by now. But I had a similar problem with the seat, and I have chronic backache. The obvious solution would be an aftermarket seat, but nothing such is available in Calcutta. So I got some 'super high density' foam and lined the seat just under the extra cover.

It was like a wooden plank to the touch, but had a little yield when sat on. With this I have travelled four to five hours at a stretch on West Bengal's state highways (probably the worst in the country) without any backache. Would recommend for anybody with arthritis or any type of lumbar pain.
SnakemanJohny is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 08:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakemanJohny View Post
Wish I had joined sooner and answered guptavis's query ! You must have changed your car by now. But I had a similar problem with the seat, and I have chronic backache. The obvious solution would be an aftermarket seat, but nothing such is available in Calcutta. So I got some 'super high density' foam and lined the seat just under the extra cover.

It was like a wooden plank to the touch, but had a little yield when sat on. With this I have travelled four to five hours at a stretch on West Bengal's state highways (probably the worst in the country) without any backache. Would recommend for anybody with arthritis or any type of lumbar pain.
Can you post pics of this super high density foam - the back hurts in my Figo on long drives >4 hours and some under thigh? This might help me
Catalyst_delhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2014, 10:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catalyst_delhi View Post
Can you post pics of this super high density foam - the back hurts in my Figo on long drives >4 hours and some under thigh? This might help me
I have used the Dacron type of foam as a cushion to increase my seated height and to get under-thigh support. All I did was buy a square section (available at upholsters), and got a tailor to cut it to size, and put a leatherite cover on it.
To my pleasure on a recent long drive, I discovered that a recurrent issue (Issue: Driver's foot (Accelerator foot) over a long drive)of pain in my right foot completely vanished
Obviously that had been due to my driving position and position of my body and feet. Now, I have no such issue.
Name:  images.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  3.0 KB
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2014, 20:02   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
I have used the Dacron type of foam as a cushion to increase my seated height and to get under-thigh support. All I did was buy a square section (available at upholsters), and got a tailor to cut it to size, and put a leatherite cover on it.
To my pleasure on a recent long drive, I discovered that a recurrent issue (Issue: Driver's foot (Accelerator foot) over a long drive)of pain in my right foot completely vanished
Obviously that had been due to my driving position and position of my body and feet. Now, I have no such issue.
Attachment 1220049
Sorry catalystdelhi, didn't have a spare piece to photograph, but seems to be the exact thing joybhowmik has used -- called "chemifoam" (chemical foam ?) in Calcutta. Available in black and white, the latter of better quality and thickness, I was sceptical when the 'gaddi-mistri' suggested it. Didn't seem to be upholstery material ! But did work miracles. And fitted the same way Joy explained, only by the 'mistri' !
SnakemanJohny is offline   Reply With Quote