Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 10th December 2010, 00:23   #181
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Logan Makeover

One quick question. Why isnt there a glass mould covering the headlights. I initally thought it was not as it was still WIP, but I dont see that in the end product as well.

Apart from looking odd, it may be susceptible to water seeping in during rain, dust etc
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 00:29   #182
BHPian

^^ RKR is in search of fabricators to get the headlight lenses made.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 00:39   #183
BHPian

+1 Yes I am , and if any of you know a Headlight / LED fabricators in Bangalore that match OEM quality do let me know. SOmething that -
- Is Scratch resistant
- Doesnt lose structural integrity / melt slightly with long night drives
- Doesnt go dull and not so transparent
- Durable

By the way the current naked lights are weather proof as they are powerful bus lights believe it or not and are fully sealed units including the LED strips. So far all those who saw the lights in real life have recieved them well - guess my hurry burry bubbling curry pictures dont flatter our dear Kanoe at all
R.K.Ramesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 02:51   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.K.Ramesh View Post
+1 Yes I am , and if any of you know a Headlight / LED fabricators in Bangalore that match OEM quality do let me know. SOmething that -
- Is Scratch resistant
- Durable

By the way the current naked lights are weather proof as they are powerful bus lights believe it or not and are fully sealed units including the LED strips. So far all those who saw the lights in real life have recieved them well - guess my hurry burry bubbling curry pictures dont flatter our dear Kanoe at all
Although not impossible...to find someone within B'lore to suit your requirements may be a tough option RKR. I'd say dig deep into details of support vendors for Lucas lights and Autopal. If not, approach them directly and see if they are keen in helping you with making one offs ( or 2 in case of future accident repairs , lol )
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 11:24   #185
BHPian

Well for starters, making a one-off custom headlamp and that too OEM quality will be just impossible.

We got a pair or headlamps and tail lamps made for a protoype we worked on, a year ago and the cost of it was just staggering and dont underestimate the word 'staggering' here cos it was more than the cost of buying a fully loaded logan fresh out of the showroom..D

Last edited by konjaril : 10th December 2010 at 11:26.
konjaril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 15:23   #186
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
- Is Scratch resistant
- Durable

there is this prototyping shop in koramangala behind that Oasis building in a narrow alley. he is excellent at his job. in fact he is the supplier of headlamps to all DC concept cars. cost wise, I've no clue but I believe you should go meet them up once to know a ball park figure.
14000rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 15:56   #187
BHPian

^^ Great! I do hope this lead does actually work out - will take a look 14000rpm. Thankyou. I do see what you mean Konjaril and Absynth, thought iwas told about som fabricators fro bus bodies might be able to help...I was told earlier that such headlight lens oe frabricated head and tail lights were expensive...

But will start from behind Oasis in Koramangala
Old 10th December 2010, 16:01   #188
BHPian

Quote:
^^ Great! I do hope this lead does actually work out - will take a look 14000rpm. Thankyou. I do see what you mean Konjaril and Absynth, thought iwas told about som fabricators fro bus bodies might be able to help...I was told earlier that such headlight lens oe frabricated head and tail lights were expensive...

But will start from behind Oasis in Koramangala
well for starters plz forget about bus fabricators...the lamps will yellow out in no time.. These are made by really cheap quality acrylics and have no life.. Check out the link 14000rpm has sent and if you do get a decent lead let me know too...

P.s i have attached a pic of the headlamp and tail lamps we had got made fore the prototype..
Attached Images

Last edited by konjaril : 10th December 2010 at 16:05.
konjaril is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 16:40   #189
Senior - BHPian

Default Headlights

Hi Ramesh,

Good work on your logan

My Feedback: i guess you will have problem when driving in dark places as the grill/bonnet protrude out.it may not give you clear throw in the middle of the road.
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 16:56   #190
BHPian

^^ Yes Konjaril, I too was under the same impression after looking at many of these bus lights - they soon lose design integrety either form or colour scratches... Very interesting prototype and head and tail lights - are these LED headlights - certainly unique and powerful LED then... Hats off to your very intriguing efforts...

Thanks Joshguy; as far as headlight visibility is concerned there is absolutely no problem sind we checked the light beam cone and the bodywork is clear of it even thought the pics seem to indicate a deep set location with a protruding nose. The overall length of the car is actually shorter than (perhaps in a few mm) the stock logan. It only looks longer because the nose protrudes prominently compared to before.

So to reaffirm there are no major blind spots that we could see but the acid test is in driving the car long distance at night and that happenned last night - awaiting feedback on that still.

Last edited by R.K.Ramesh : 10th December 2010 at 17:01.
Old 10th December 2010, 17:05   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Yes Konjaril, I too was under the same impression after looking at many of these bus lights - they soon lose design integrety either form or colour scratches... Very interesting prototype and head and tail lights - are these LED headlights - certainly unique and powerful LED then... Hats off to your very intriguing efforts...
Thanks a lot RK, yes the tail lamps and head lamps were Led's and might i add, very powerfull ones. the lamp units were very large, as large as an innova's unit.
The only issue with headlight prototyping is getting it to OEM spec, that is getting the waterproofing, getting the curvature of the lends, chrome and lots more done on an ABS unit.. the best example is the duplicate units of any OEM lamps you get in the market , within months you will be able to figure out which is the duplicate unit also quality always remains an issue..

Last edited by konjaril : 10th December 2010 at 17:09.
Old 10th December 2010, 20:05   #192
BHPian

Konjaril, I was wondering - where to get such powerful LEDs from - seems like a very good idea as Ipresume they will consume less power than halogens yes glow brighter.

Also they might probably be good with longlivity and more shock resistant me thinks?
Old 10th December 2010, 20:23   #193
Senior - BHPian

the best led's available off the shelf are luxeon stars/their equivalents. They seem to be pretty good. Alternately have a look at the LED bulbs available at dealextreme and the LED lighting thread here
greenhorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2010, 22:31   #194
BHPian

Thumbs up Re: The Logan Makeover

Brilliant effort RKR, it speaks volumes in your designing skills.
Hope to see some take this as quick example, in local design schools.

The frontal mesh grill is delightfully done. A block of chrome beading (1") around the mesh would have accented it. Nevertheless, this thread
needs a 5 star.
MaveRick4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th December 2010, 00:02   #195
BHPian

Hi ramesh, as greenhorn has mentioned here those are some of the best available in the market today. Also if done neatly with the help of a smart electronic engineer you will have exceptional results. but i wont promise that this would be a cheap option if you are looking at upper dipper options and so on..

well now.. how about i let out a little secret i assume you are aware of britelight torches? well yes you are thinking correct. get a projector unit from a 220 (as them being the cheapest) again get a favor from a geek friend of yours(he he) and you get him to do the circuitry for the above.. yes i know you will destroy a perfectly good expensive torch but if you try it and get it right..you wont have to look back buddy..

all the best