Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 19th December 2005, 15:02   #1

Default Custom Job for Petra Suspension ?

Whew! It took me 6 attempts to get the graphic right while trying to register!!

Anyway, I have a question for the guru's here. I have a 1 yr old Petra. Its a great car except for the suspension. It was just OK to begin with. I had high speed tubeless tyres put in to reduce the body roll in curves and it has made the suspension really bad on rough roads and seams between blocks on bridges etc. There is a spine jarring thud at high speeds. BUT, its very smooth over large bumps or big pot holes. Its the small rough patches that really irritate and given bombay roads the ride quality is quite lousy at times. Remember the western express highway after the floods ?

Anyway, I'm looking for some custom job to make the ride much more cushy, to avoid having to spring for a costlier car just for the suspension. The only idea i have had so far is to put a lot of sponge inside the seat cushion. I know that changing the tyres may help a bit, but I'm looking for a big difference. I think softer springs in the seats will help (like 118 NE or Amby).

Does anyone know a garage that will help me with this. I have tried Anuroop and all they are willing to do is to service the stock suspension or replace parts.

thanks in anticipation.

Vinod
dovin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 16:34   #2
BHPian

dovin,

The ride of the Palio/Petra if you are using 175/65 or lower profile tyres, is sensitive to tyre pressure. I normally keep the presure at 27 psi for my S10 (175/65) and the ride does improve. What size boots is your Petra wearing?
Floyd de Souza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 16:49   #3

floyd,

I'm using 185/60 15" Certis tyres. I keep the pressure at 27 PSI. I've tried reducing it to 26 PSI. It does improve the ride a little bit, but I'm nervous about the FE as well as life of tyres.

The ride quality is nice when driving on heavily potholed roads, but on rough patches with caked mud or small 'cuts' in the road due to cracked pavement or covered up digging, the entire 'jerk' transmits right to your spine. I'm so unhappy with this because my friend's esteem has a much softer ride in these situations even though it gets rattled over heavy bumps or potholes.

I want to understand what Maruti (for eg is doing right that I can replicate on the Petra.

Also, the ride is noticeably better at nights!!

Is it possible for the local garage to adjust suspension settings ? make it softer ? or is this set only at the factory ?

Thanks for your reply!

Vinod
Old 19th December 2005, 17:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovin4

Also, the ride is noticeably better at nights!!

Vinod

Can you please explain this??????????
speedsatya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 17:18   #5

I know its weird, and i have 2 possible reasons for this..

1) The air in the tyres are cooler, hence softer ride.
2) I have a driver during daytime, but I drive myself when going out at night. The front seat somehow had better ride comfort.

3) Something else ????
Old 19th December 2005, 17:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd de Souza
dovin,

The ride of the Palio/Petra if you are using 175/65 or lower profile tyres, is sensitive to tyre pressure. I normally keep the presure at 27 psi for my S10 (175/65) and the ride does improve. What size boots is your Petra wearing?
Isnt 27psi too low ?.. I have 175/65/R14( Stock) on my Siena 1.6ELX ..28-30 is what is recommended..
I usually keep it at 30 psi...Although as you mentioned..the Rumbling sound on slightly uneven roads at low speeds or on small bumps..is sometimes dissapointing..
paharino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 18:34   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

even i own a siena 1.6elx and it rides on 175/65 r14....the ride is pretty comfortable over rough roads but small cracks or bumps on the road do make themselves felt.....as u already have fitted even more low profile tyres(185/60 r14),thats where the problem begins.my advice to u wud be to drive somenoes palio nv and see how u feel in terms of ride comfort.if u feel satisfied with it,you have ur solution.the palio rides on 165/70 r13(members pleez correct if wrong).so yo can shift to these higher profile tyres and smaller rims but it is goin to spoil ur cars handling and looks to some extent.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2005, 18:45   #8
Senior - BHPian

1) Are you sure about Tyre pressure? Where do you check it (is it reliable enough)? Anything below 28 should be very comfy (front or rear). Suggested tyre pressure is 28.
2) I am very sure that ride at rear is more comfortable than at front. Do you know any other Petra owner (remote possibility)? Sit in his car and compare with yours.
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2005, 23:36   #9

Does anyone know if its possible to change the suspension settings for the Petra if I take it to a garage ?
Old 21st December 2005, 00:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dovin4
Does anyone know if its possible to change the suspension settings for the Petra if I take it to a garage ?
There are loads of custom stuff you can do with your suspension for handling but for a smoother ride you have to get the right set of tyres and pump it with right air pressure. Now, you mentioned that the car glides over potholes and craters but vibrates on rough surfaces, my advise would be minimum 27psi considering your tyres but from a reputed air pump booth. Also, get the allignment & balancing done. Try rubber dampers on your front struts. This should help.
The Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote