Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 3rd December 2010, 13:54   #1
BHPian

Question Lock for Glove Compartment?

Hi

I have been looking for some way to fit a lock to the glove compartment in my i10. Reason is I can (somewhat more safely than otherwise) leave things I don't want to lose- original vehicle documents for instance.

Any idea out there?

Thanks.
Bye
DrVjy
DrVjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 16:44   #2
BHPian

How does it help? If someone can break into your car, you have to worry about the vehicle itself rather than it's papers !!
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:19   #3
BHPian

I guess it would be a mess to glove compartment to manually insert a lock since you need to drill and put screws. modern cars doesnt come up with locks, i dont know why they stopped it...
johnruben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:28   #4
BHPian

AFAIK Hyundai Accent comes with a lock for the glove box
djjebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 17:43   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVjy View Post
Hi

I have been looking for some way to fit a lock to the glove compartment in my i10. Reason is I can (somewhat more safely than otherwise) leave things I don't want to lose- original vehicle documents for instance.

Any idea out there?

Thanks.
Bye
DrVjy
Slightly OT but, how many of us actually carry originals in the car?

Unless I am travelling out of the city, I keep only the photocopies in the car. I know the rule says you can keep the photocopy of only the Insurance policy but I don't feel like taking the risk of keeping originals in the car.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2010, 23:23   #6
BHPian

Guys - I still don't get it. If the papers are inside the glove compartment, who's going to flick it? If someone with the intention of flicking them manages to get inside the car, you have bigger problems right? He can take away the whole damn car instead of the papers !!

Am I the only one who's missing the point? Can someone explain?
Old 4th December 2010, 00:37   #7
BHPian

kalpeshc - I think he's worried about folks like drivers, car cleaners who have access to the car
milestogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 13:25   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVjy View Post
Reason is I can (somewhat more safely than otherwise) leave things I don't want to lose- original vehicle documents for instance.
DrVjy, please do NOT keep your vehicle's original documents in the glove compartment. Instead, park a set of clean xeroxes in there.

Back to the topic, any competent accessory shop can do a "jugaad" and fix a lock to your glove box. However, it won't end up looking pretty, that's for sure. Not recommended.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 13:47   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
DrVjy, please do NOT keep your vehicle's original documents in the glove compartment. Instead, park a set of clean xeroxes in there.
Actually a set of attested copies would be better. I got copies of all my vehicles papers attested by an RTO inspector (Gazetted Officer). Just ask at your local RTO office. They do it free of cost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Back to the topic, any competent accessory shop can do a "jugaad" and fix a lock to your glove box. However, it won't end up looking pretty, that's for sure. Not recommended.
Why spoil the looks by doing jugaad. The above option is better. If you must keep the originals in the car, get a secret compartment (pocket) incorporated in the seat covers. Something like the "Chor Pocket" people used to have in their trousers to carry money.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 14:06   #10
BHPian

Exclamation Scenarios

Actually I was just imagining some of these:

1. you have forgotten to lock your car but do have the remote, and your originals are in the glove compartment.

2. if someone broke in, he should still find it tough to get away with the originals.

As per the current MV act in India, we are supposed to carry originals of vehicle documents, including registration and insurance. Xerox copies are not acceptable by the MV act, though some police people don't mind, but that is a gentlemanly attitude rather than official law.

DrVjy
DrVjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2010, 14:16   #11
BHPian

Attested copies should be okay right? Or even those are legally not acceptable?
Old 4th December 2010, 19:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

As far as keeping originals in the car is concerned, a lot also depends on the state in which are you plying. Some states are ok with copies of the documents, whereas some insist on originals. For instance Gurgaon, Chandigarh. So you are forced to carry the orignials.

Yes, the Accent and several other cars do come with lockable gloveboxes.

It is just not about theft guys, for instance, I do not want my car cleaner to have the chance to go thru the manuals / documents (original or not), maybe I leave some spare cash, stereo etc. So a lock is definitely a good feature

As far as doing it is concerned, you can try your hand at DIY (it is not too compicated if you can take some time to understand it and get it done)

Else go to some car mech and get it done. Whats a lock, when entire cars can get changed, be it visually or mechanically.
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote