Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th June 2010, 16:04   #3916
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 919
Thanked: 339 Times
Default

Are you looking for a replacement of your OE headlamp assembly or an additional projector setup for say the fog lamps maybe?
praful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 16:07   #3917
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 292 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Are you looking for a replacement of your OE headlamp assembly or an additional projector setup for say the fog lamps maybe?
I want to replace the full setup and install HID with projector lense, my bulb config is H4.
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 16:12   #3918
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 919
Thanked: 339 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
I want to replace the full setup and install HID with projector lense, my bulb config is H4.
Then you are looking the 'angel eyes' kindda setup, the one you can see in naveen.raju's avtaar picture in this thread.

I am not completely sure, but I've never heard good reviews about these setups actually giving better light out put. Though from this thread itself I gather that the new setup's coming for the Swift specifically are much much better than what was available earlier.

You would need to see a car similar to yours to see if these angel eyes setups are having any positive affect on lighting or not.
praful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 16:18   #3919
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 292 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Then you are looking the 'angel eyes' kindda setup, the one you can see in naveen.raju's avtaar picture in this thread.

I am not completely sure, but I've never heard good reviews about these setups actually giving better light out put. Though from this thread itself I gather that the new setup's coming for the Swift specifically are much much better than what was available earlier.

You would need to see a car similar to yours to see if these angel eyes setups are having any positive affect on lighting or not.
Do you know any shop in Bangalore selling Angel eye setup? For swift they have it like stock design, mine is Alto, but I have seen projector lense in Fabia, and the reflector setup size is more or less similar.
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 16:24   #3920
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,535 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Do you know any shop in Bangalore selling Angel eye setup? For swift they have it like stock design, mine is Alto, but I have seen projector lense in Fabia, and the reflector setup size is more or less similar.
Projector setup can be installed in existing headlights. It's a complete DIY and these may be expensive.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 16:25   #3921
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 919
Thanked: 339 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Do you know any shop in Bangalore selling Angel eye setup? For swift they have it like stock design, mine is Alto, but I have seen projector lense in Fabia, and the reflector setup size is more or less similar.
I am not aware of any shops as such. But if you were looking at replacement projectors for your fogs then there are plenty of options available on ebay.
praful is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 18:20   #3922
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Currently, New Delhi
Posts: 423
Thanked: 90 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCause View Post
Car- Alto LXi
Bulb Vendor- Amba Sales, 1/7, Nicholson Road, Kashmere Gate.

My hunt for a headlight bulb began after I did some extensive night driving in quite unforgiving terrain. Reading the forum, I decided on Osram Silverstar but, later dropped the idea because of warranty issues & also because Philips authorized distributor offered on the spot exchange facility.

.........

Getting Blue Vision parking lights & number plate lights soon.
UPDATE!

Yes, these lamps *might* be a problem in rains/smog but they are not so much as to consider them useless/worthless. I bought them knowing I will get Pure white light & they are just working according to laws of optics. Even HID/projectors lamps higher than 5000K/6000K will have a problem in such a scenario but this does not in any way make them worse than stock(my opinion).

If you live in an area where it rains frequently/seasonally(eg. Mumbai, Bengalooru & so forth), then simply get 4300K or so HIDs or Osram Silverstars. 130/100W or 110/100W are not meant for city use and I don't want to annoy fellow pedestrians/motorists considering the fact that I also lose my cool when someone blinds me with such headlight/glare
JustCause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 19:29   #3923
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 292 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Projector setup can be installed in existing headlights. It's a complete DIY and these may be expensive.
Well I have the $$ factor in my mind, and I am ready to spend upto 15k on this, as set of HID bulbs with balast will cost about 8k, rest for the projector lense and holders, so if anyone in this blog has any idea about any shops in Bangalore please let me know.
asdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2010, 22:13   #3924
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,073
Thanked: 184 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
As I had mentioned, it always safe to use bulbs with stock wattage since you will be using it for a longer term. Higher wattage bulbs are recommended only for short period. I used it for only 1 month and switched over to projector headlights.

As for the list that you have provided, I would recommend Philips since it provided the best throw. Am not sure which one to go for among Philips since I havent used them. May other gurus shed some ideas on this.

I would recommend you to stay with the stock color since you are looking for better output. As you know, white output decreases the visibility.

Keep us posted. Anything else, please let me know.
Cheers.!
Hi Naveen,

Thank you for your reply once again, appreciate it.

As for the purchase, I made it yesterday, & got them installed today. I bought a pair of Philips Xtreme Power.

The Osrams were ruled out, as they have a shorter throw compared to XPs as read on some international automotive forums & also their lifespan is doubtful.

Experience: Although the light is indeed brighter & whiter compared to the stock halogens, it is definitely not an 80% increase. The throw is better & the claims seem genuine, but again the quantitative estimate given (of about 25m) is not true.
Overall, the product does succeed to an extent, however I am not too happy with it. The reason is the high cost of the product which does not seem justified due to the kind of improvement it offers (could be better).

Thanks.

PS: I will post the comparison pictures in a day or two.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 01:26   #3925
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 94
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

I don't mind the darkening & burning of reflectors but would a 100/ 130w help instead of 90/100w? Is it available & can it be used with my current relay?
fastraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 10:05   #3926
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,535 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hi Naveen,

Thank you for your reply once again, appreciate it.

As for the purchase, I made it yesterday, & got them installed today. I bought a pair of Philips Xtreme Power.

The Osrams were ruled out, as they have a shorter throw compared to XPs as read on some international automotive forums & also their lifespan is doubtful.

Experience: Although the light is indeed brighter & whiter compared to the stock halogens, it is definitely not an 80% increase. The throw is better & the claims seem genuine, but again the quantitative estimate given (of about 25m) is not true.
Overall, the product does succeed to an extent, however I am not too happy with it. The reason is the high cost of the product which does not seem justified due to the kind of improvement it offers (could be better).

Thanks.

PS: I will post the comparison pictures in a day or two.
Good choice..
Dont expect 80 to 90% better output as they advertise. But, the overall effect would be better than the stock ones.
Kindly upload the comparison pics.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 16:22   #3927
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,073
Thanked: 184 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Good choice..
Dont expect 80 to 90% better output as they advertise. But, the overall effect would be better than the stock ones.
Kindly upload the comparison pics.
Thanks

The pics would be up by tomorrow, I have the 'before' pics but need to take the 'after' pics tonight.

@naveen & all others: I have also been itching to add some more lights to my car. No no, this time in the interiors
Actually, I have been pondering over the thought of a brighter interior light (which is present alongside the rear view mirror). Any idea what I can use there in an Alto? Also are there any reliable & affordable options available in terms of small lights that can be attached to the 4 doors, such that they would get switched on when the door is opened? Some thing like those read/white lights on the doors of some bigger cars.

Thanks.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 17:26   #3928
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,535 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Thanks

The pics would be up by tomorrow, I have the 'before' pics but need to take the 'after' pics tonight.

@naveen & all others: I have also been itching to add some more lights to my car. No no, this time in the interiors
Actually, I have been pondering over the thought of a brighter interior light (which is present alongside the rear view mirror). Any idea what I can use there in an Alto? Also are there any reliable & affordable options available in terms of small lights that can be attached to the 4 doors, such that they would get switched on when the door is opened? Some thing like those read/white lights on the doors of some bigger cars.

Thanks.
Expecting the pics.

Regarding the new query, it is possible to add LED to the existing lamp. There are many threads with these.
As for the lights for all the doors, this is also possible. I have seen a Santro with these. But problem is, these lights continue to be ON even if the doors are closed. Not a proper installation I guess.

You can add LED to the doors so that they illuminate the road when the doors are open. Take it to a proper electrician and he can get it done.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 23:56   #3929
Senior - BHPian
 
blackfire_9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,073
Thanked: 184 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Expecting the pics.

Regarding the new query, it is possible to add LED to the existing lamp. There are many threads with these.
As for the lights for all the doors, this is also possible. I have seen a Santro with these. But problem is, these lights continue to be ON even if the doors are closed. Not a proper installation I guess.

You can add LED to the doors so that they illuminate the road when the doors are open. Take it to a proper electrician and he can get it done.
Hey naveen,

Some bad news, I had used my sister's Nokia to click the pictures but she dropped it in a vessel filled with milk by mistake

I took some pictures with my digicam now, even the before pics after replacing the bulbs to stock. They are not too good as the digicam is not working fine but I hope they solve the purpose. I will try taking another set by the weekend if this is not clear.

The pictures were shot in my alley as the road is very well illuminated outside & I couldn't have noticed the light difference.

Here you go:

1. Front view

Before
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p1030361.jpg

After
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p1030370.jpg

2. Low beam (notice light on plant on left side)

Before
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p1030363.jpg

After
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p1030365.jpg

3. High beam (notice light on plant on left side)

Before
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p1030362.jpg

After
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p1030367.jpg

4. Philips Xtreme Power H4

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-p1030357.jpg

As for the new query, I will speak with some electrician here in Delhi & see what can be done. Wil keep you posted.

Thanks, drive safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 10th June 2010 at 23:57.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2010, 04:10   #3930
Newbie
 
jjains's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Hello Folks,

I have gone through dozens of pages to understand how can get better light (for better visibility on highways) in my DZire ZDI. I am confused and need help!

Looking at several threads, I realized 100/90 philips rally or Orsam or others are good bulbs but I have few questions:

1. Maruti Authorized Service Center folks tell me, it will ruin warranty on electrical parts! Is it true? My DZire has completed 10,500 KM and 14 months.

2. Will it cause any other damage, for e.g. to reflectors, wiring or battery? Whats your exp?

3. Do you know where can I get it done in Bangalore? How much will it cost?

4. Based on your exp., would you suggest the same Phillips Rally 100/90 or something else?

Appreciate your inputs. Please take out some time to reply please.

Thanks,
Jitendra
jjains is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11182 3rd December 2016 17:34
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3713 2nd December 2016 19:09
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 71 17th February 2016 10:05
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 77 15th June 2015 13:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:02.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks