Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2010, 16:16   #4081
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anantnehru View Post
Hi guys,

Need some help by this evening/tomorrow morning.
Am going to Hyderabad and need to get high wattage bulbs for someones i10.

I zeroed in on a shop on DeCars or something - but suddenly thought they may not have high wattage bulbs. Can someone please confirm this or otherwise give me an alternate place to pick up Philips 90/100 or 100/130 bulbs please? I will also be needing the relay harness.

Also, is there any cost differential from what I have paid here for the above bulbs or will the prices be the same? Here being Delhi.

Thanks alot!
There wouldnt be much of a difference. Branded kits should cost the same everywhere. If there is any difference, that should be minimal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm going to try replacing the relay. There are no other electrical issues with the car so it has to be a faulty relay.
Yes, MASS guys almost never do a 90/100 job. In this case I know the owners on a personal level so they did it 'unofficially'. Actually I found the stock 55/60s on the swift to be pretty ok. The conversion was done only to 'convince' oncoming traffic to dip their headlights. Works pretty well too.
I try not to use high beams in the city, but on the highways it really helps. Truckers, of course, are immune to a car's high beams.
Then get the relay replaced asap. Stick with branded kits only. Also, check if the wire got any problems. It's always better to cross check the wire that connect the relay and the battery. We can always make mistakes. So be sure on that. You cant compromise a car for a faulty wiring.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2010, 18:59   #4082
BHPian
 
inder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: nagpur
Posts: 270
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Thanks naveen.raju for the detailed and patient response.I will ask more questions related to your replies.
1)Since I require bright light only on the highways,and I drive on high beam on the highways,I need to upgrade only the high beams.I dont high beams in the city,also corolla has good low beams for the city.
2)Ok I will get good quality relay,wiring and ceramic holders. Dont they come together as a package?? (I am a newbee in this area)
3)I will get either osram/phillips
4)5) &6) From your replies I understand that,projector assembly is required for HID's.Which is costly (my budget is around 2000) Also you mention Xenon's and HID's are same.So are projectors also required for Xenon bulbs? Or if I put Xenon's in my corolla,light will waste?
Thanks in advance.
inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 09:53   #4083
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Thanks naveen.raju for the detailed and patient response.I will ask more questions related to your replies.
1)Since I require bright light only on the highways,and I drive on high beam on the highways,I need to upgrade only the high beams.I dont high beams in the city,also corolla has good low beams for the city.
2)Ok I will get good quality relay,wiring and ceramic holders. Dont they come together as a package?? (I am a newbee in this area)
3)I will get either osram/phillips
4)5) &6) From your replies I understand that,projector assembly is required for HID's.Which is costly (my budget is around 2000) Also you mention Xenon's and HID's are same.So are projectors also required for Xenon bulbs? Or if I put Xenon's in my corolla,light will waste?
Thanks in advance.
Then you can certainly go for higher rated bulbs.
I would recommend you to go with Philips.
Relay, wiring and ceramic holders will come as a package, but not sure whether Philips will actually provide. But you can get these from any accessories shop. Be sure to go with CERAMIC holder. Normal holders cannot tolerate the high output and will burn out.
HID's dont actually require projectors, but the best output is attained when used with Projectors.
You can use them in your corolla. I have got many mixed reactions when it comes using HIDs in stock headlights. Some say it's a waste and some stay with it. But from my experience, I have noticed that people who use Philips HIDs in stock headlights are satisfied with the performance.
But Philips currently dont have 4300k color temp bulbs. As I had mentioned, 4300k bulbs provide the max light output. Also, it would kinda look strange when used in your car since both low and high beam will have different color.
Also, since your budget is limited to 2k, you can stick with higher rated bulbs. This will come around 1.5k to 2k depending upon the brand.

You can also check out "TBHP Cochin meet" (second last page) for the pics comparing my 4300k HIDs with Philips 6000k HIDs used in my friends stock headlights.

Let me know if you need any help.

Cheers.!
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 10:54   #4084
BHPian
 
inder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: nagpur
Posts: 270
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

Thanks again naveen.raju
Ok so this is what I have in mind.Upgrade HB3 (highbeam) to Phillips Essential power 100w. And decide on the HB4 upgrade at the shop itself,for these I have in mind philips Extreme power 55w.I hope I dont need to install fog lamps after this upgrade?
One last question.How many relays I have to get for the upgrade.1 for 4 bulbs or 1 for 2 bulbs?
inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 11:05   #4085
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
Thanks again naveen.raju
Ok so this is what I have in mind.Upgrade HB3 (highbeam) to Phillips Essential power 100w. And decide on the HB4 upgrade at the shop itself,for these I have in mind philips Extreme power 55w.I hope I dont need to install fog lamps after this upgrade?
One last question.How many relays I have to get for the upgrade.1 for 4 bulbs or 1 for 2 bulbs?
Anytime.
Since you are upgrading both the bulbs, guess you dont need to install fogs.
Am not sure on that. Guess it's 1 relay for 2 bulbs. You can get this confirmed from the installers.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 18:22   #4086
BHPian
 
inder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: nagpur
Posts: 270
Thanked: 30 Times
Default

So I went to the accessory shop,but he said you cant put 100w in corolla,since there is no scope of cutout etc etc.Did anybody upgrade to 100w in corolla??He suggested some 80w philips or osram,which would be fine without relay accd. to him.I did not find HB3/HB4 on osram website for nightbreaker or silverstar.Also Philips xtreme is available only for HB4.Also he has HID for 1650,same wattage as OEM.So I am still confused.Will these HID's be of any help in my highway driving?

Last edited by inder : 6th August 2010 at 18:32.
inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2010, 18:52   #4087
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,087
Thanked: 196 Times
Default Suggestions for good Bulbs/HIDs for Swift Fogs

Hi guys,

I had changed my stock H8 35W fog bulbs of my Swift to Nokiya H8 55W 6000K white bulbs (not HID). I had purchased the same from Ebay for around Rs. 800 two years ago. I did not expect them to last for so long since they are a non-branded Chinese make but was amazingly surprised that they did eventhough I always drive with my fogs 'ON' at night. I was also using the 6000K Nokiya H4 bulbs in my headlamps. I later changed them to a P4 HID kit of 6000K but retained the halogens for the fogs.

There was no major advantage in visibility with these fog bulbs so it was mainly for show and to match the color temprature of the HIDs in the headlamps. However, the biggest disadvantage was that the silver/chrome reflector coating inside the fog lamp assembly starts to peel off and I guess this is due to the higher wattage of the bulb and in turn more heat produced.

Now one of the bulbs blew yesterday and since I was planning to change them anyway along with the damaged fog lamp assembly, I wanted to know your suggestions on whether I should opt for HIDs in the fogs instead of halogens. Looking to go for a better brand like Philips though. My priority is visibility.

Any suggestions.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 00:30   #4088
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 864
Thanked: 177 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
should opt for HIDs in the fogs instead of halogens. Looking to go for a better brand like Philips though. My priority is visibility.

Any suggestions.
HID on fog will only give bling bling effect, it would not at help you in FOG.

Use a proper fog lamp with yellowish color, I've had a hard time with Extreme White headlamps in fog of January-2010.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 10:09   #4089
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
So I went to the accessory shop,but he said you cant put 100w in corolla,since there is no scope of cutout etc etc.Did anybody upgrade to 100w in corolla??He suggested some 80w philips or osram,which would be fine without relay accd. to him.I did not find HB3/HB4 on osram website for nightbreaker or silverstar.Also Philips xtreme is available only for HB4.Also he has HID for 1650,same wattage as OEM.So I am still confused.Will these HID's be of any help in my highway driving?
Oh. am not sure on that.
HID for 1650? well, that's definitely not a branded one.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2010, 10:12   #4090
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

I had changed my stock H8 35W fog bulbs of my Swift to Nokiya H8 55W 6000K white bulbs (not HID). I had purchased the same from Ebay for around Rs. 800 two years ago. I did not expect them to last for so long since they are a non-branded Chinese make but was amazingly surprised that they did eventhough I always drive with my fogs 'ON' at night. I was also using the 6000K Nokiya H4 bulbs in my headlamps. I later changed them to a P4 HID kit of 6000K but retained the halogens for the fogs.

There was no major advantage in visibility with these fog bulbs so it was mainly for show and to match the color temprature of the HIDs in the headlamps. However, the biggest disadvantage was that the silver/chrome reflector coating inside the fog lamp assembly starts to peel off and I guess this is due to the higher wattage of the bulb and in turn more heat produced.

Now one of the bulbs blew yesterday and since I was planning to change them anyway along with the damaged fog lamp assembly, I wanted to know your suggestions on whether I should opt for HIDs in the fogs instead of halogens. Looking to go for a better brand like Philips though. My priority is visibility.

Any suggestions.
If you are looking for visibility, then you need to go for 3000k HIDs (which is pure yellow). I dont think this is currently available in India.
Check whether you get branded bulbs for the figs. It's kinda hard to get hands on one.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 10:19   #4091
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,087
Thanked: 196 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
HID on fog will only give bling bling effect, it would not at help you in FOG.

Use a proper fog lamp with yellowish color, I've had a hard time with Extreme White headlamps in fog of January-2010.
Well I wont be specifically driving in fog but I remember driving in fog on my trip to Aamby Valley and I really didn't have much of a problem with visibility with my 6000K P4 HID Kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
If you are looking for visibility, then you need to go for 3000k HIDs (which is pure yellow). I dont think this is currently available in India.
Check whether you get branded bulbs for the figs. It's kinda hard to get hands on one.
Yes Im sure the 3000K HIDs are hard to find and hence I am planning to go in for 4300K Philips HID kits in my fogs and headlamps. They should do the trick I guess.
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 11:22   #4092
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Well I wont be specifically driving in fog but I remember driving in fog on my trip to Aamby Valley and I really didn't have much of a problem with visibility with my 6000K P4 HID Kit.



Yes Im sure the 3000K HIDs are hard to find and hence I am planning to go in for 4300K Philips HID kits in my fogs and headlamps. They should do the trick I guess.
Yes. 3000k is hard to find. So better go for 4300k and Philips should be the choice.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 11:34   #4093
Senior - BHPian
 
akshay4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Chandigarh/Mohali/Ambala Cantt
Posts: 3,751
Thanked: 1,490 Times
Default

I am Looking forward to replace
Headlamp bulbs in my Accent.
Which 100\90W bulbs should i go in for?

Also any recommendation for foglamps H27 bulbs?
akshay4587 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2010, 12:19   #4094
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I am Looking forward to replace
Headlamp bulbs in my Accent.
Which 100\90W bulbs should i go in for?

Also any recommendation for foglamps H27 bulbs?
You can go in for Philips/Osram. I would recommend Philips.
Make sure you go for branded relay, ceramic holder and wiring kit.
As for the fog lamps, check out whether Philips provide bulbs of that size.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2010, 15:22   #4095
BHPian
 
rajeshsundaram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: ERD-CHN-BLR
Posts: 292
Thanked: 391 Times
Default

@akshay4587

Try the HELLA or ROOTS or BOSCH relays. They are good. I had an unknown relay that powered my 100/90 Philips Rally bulbs. I often felt that the bulbs were not performing to its potential. Last month I changed the relay with a Hella 40 amps relay and the difference is vast.

The low-beam is enough for me to cruise everywhere.. in city or highway! Always make sure you get the orginial ones and a very good brand. Dont mind the few extra bucks.
rajeshsundaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3715 9th December 2016 00:23
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11182 3rd December 2016 17:34
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 71 17th February 2016 10:05
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 77 15th June 2015 13:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:35.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks