Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 13:48   #4351
BHPian
 
San Phrangmung's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Guwahati
Posts: 578
Thanked: 55 Times
Talking Hella relay kit & Philips bulb

After going through the thread for quiet a few days, finally changed the headlight bulb on my Wagon R to a 90/100 Philips along with a Hella relay kit. Price 800 for relay and 200 for 2 bulbs.
`
Driving at night has certainly become a lot easier after this upgrade and would recommend this to bhpians.

Last edited by San Phrangmung : 5th October 2010 at 13:51.
San Phrangmung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 09:59   #4352
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Phrangmung View Post
After going through the thread for quiet a few days, finally changed the headlight bulb on my Wagon R to a 90/100 Philips along with a Hella relay kit. Price 800 for relay and 200 for 2 bulbs.
`
Driving at night has certainly become a lot easier after this upgrade and would recommend this to bhpians.
@SP - congrats buddy. Glad to hear that you r satisfied with the results. It would be better if you post the pics so that other members can get to see this.
Safe driving.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 17:17   #4353
BHPian
 
ragzv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 107
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Guys: Does anyone know if a Swift is equipped with a company fitted Headlight relay. I could locate the relay for the fogs in the fuse box (in the bonnet) but none for the headlights.
ragzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 17:36   #4354
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragzv View Post
Guys: Does anyone know if a Swift is equipped with a company fitted Headlight relay. I could locate the relay for the fogs in the fuse box (in the bonnet) but none for the headlights.
R u sure you located the relay.? Stock light do not need any since it can withstand the battery power. Higher rated bulbs use relays. Kindly confirm this.
Thanks
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 17:45   #4355
BHPian
 
ragzv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 107
Thanked: 8 Times
Default

Yes, fog light does have a relay - located in the fuse box in the bonnet. It is even mentioned in the car service manual (i have dzire) but just could not locate it for the H/L.
ragzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2010, 17:58   #4356
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Utopia!
Posts: 580
Thanked: 83 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Stock light do not need any since it can withstand the battery power. Higher rated bulbs use relays. Kindly confirm this.
Thanks
Did you mean to say the stock wires can withstand the current drawn by stock lamps from battery?

The HL relays are used for protecting low current capable stock wiring and also for providing the least length (lower resistance) path between the bulbs and the battery which would mean minimal losses and better light output.

I could be wrong, but IMO, all vehicles should have a stock headlight relay...At least all my 4 wheelers had it by default.

IMHO it would be bad design practice (and costly) to route high current to the stalk HL switch. Using a relay is cheaper, sturdier and efficient in power transfer (minimal losses).
Digital Vampire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 10:13   #4357
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default

Guys, am not too sure on this.
When I installed higher rated bulbs, I bought a relay for this particular bulb. Didnt even have a clue that the stock bulbs had relays.
I think fellow bhpians can help you on this
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 12:14   #4358
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post

I could be wrong, but IMO, all vehicles should have a stock headlight relay...At least all my 4 wheelers had it by default.

IMHO it would be bad design practice (and costly) to route high current to the stalk HL switch. Using a relay is cheaper, sturdier and efficient in power transfer (minimal losses).
You are correct Sir, Most modern vehicles manufactured post 2000, have OE HL relays!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 12:22   #4359
BHPian
 
lilMonSter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New delhi
Posts: 181
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

Hey guys, Does anyone know what size bulbs come in the fog lights of the alto k 10 vxi. are they H1, H7 or like the swift H8?
lilMonSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 14:12   #4360
BHPian
 
Harshavarthan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: TN 65
Posts: 299
Thanked: 101 Times
Default

Is philips 100/90 rally discontinued ? I couldn't find any model called rally in philips india website. Only H4 24568 RA and H4 24569 RA is shown in 100/90W.

Also where can i get this ceramic holder ? Is there any specific brands to go for ?
Harshavarthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 14:23   #4361
BHPian
 
jeeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 599
Thanked: 488 Times
Default

The notice on the packet (100/90s and the 130/100s) says its not street legal in Europe/not for sale in Europe or something of that kind. Not sure if the bulbs are manufactured in India though.

Its better to buy the headlight wiring kit readily available in any accessory shop. Roots/Hella make good ones. Hellas are harder to fin though.The kit comes with the complete wiring, ceramic holders, relays and fuses for the high and low beams. This way you play safe and avoid tampering the original wiring.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 14:28   #4362
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default

I have a basic doubt - A silly noob question.

Why do people switch on ALL lights in their vehicle [I mean HL High Beam as well as Fog lights and extra lights] in city traffic?

I also find that some are interested in changing the FOG lamps to HIDs etc..Dont you consider it an overkill?

Cheers
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 14:31   #4363
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I have a basic doubt - A silly noob question.

Why do people switch on ALL lights in their vehicle [I mean HL High Beam as well as Fog lights and extra lights] in city traffic?

I also find that some are interested in changing the FOG lamps to HIDs etc..Dont you consider it an overkill?

Cheers
People change fogs to HIDs just for the bling factor. It's only for looks. People who think that it will improve the visibility when using HID;s in fogs, then they are absolutely wrong.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 15:12   #4364
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
People change fogs to HIDs just for the bling factor. It's only for looks. People who think that it will improve the visibility when using HID;s in fogs, then they are absolutely wrong.
A +10 to above. Infact we need yellow or colored lights for better penetration in FOG!!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2010, 15:47   #4365
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
A +10 to above. Infact we need yellow or colored lights for better penetration in FOG!!
Yep. Yellow lights will only penetrate the fogs. So anything that's white is just for bling factor.
Even I had plans of doing so . And even mite do it soon.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 6th December 2010 at 10:30. Reason: Please stick to the two-smileys-per-post rule.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3714 8th December 2016 08:56
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11182 3rd December 2016 17:34
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 71 17th February 2016 10:05
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 77 15th June 2015 13:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:45.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks