Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2010, 14:43   #4426
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,547
Thanked: 2,540 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp-drive View Post
I'm on the verge of replacing the stock Headlight Bulbs of my GP with Phillips Extreme Power 12V 6O/55W (H4's).
Also replacing the fog lights with Phillips Blue vision H1's 12V/55W.
This is being done bearing in mind my ride's just 3weeks old ;Wanted to avoid warranty related issues associated with HID Kits replacing the wiring etc.
Phillips claims 80% more light/25 mts longer beam.[ I reckon that should be taken with a pinch of Mobil1!]

I would appreciate confirmation from ye experts if this is the appropriate choice considering my requirement is basically better lighting/improved vehicle aesthetics.
Gurus, kindly shed some ''Xenon'' light on this conundrum!
Since you are sticking with stock wattage, please do not expect unimaginable output. Also, 80% more light is just another advertising trick. But I can assure you that this will be better than the stock bulbs.

If you do not play around/cut the existing wires, the warranty wont be affected. You have three options.

1) Stay with stock wattage and try other genuine brands. (Easy upgrade. No hassles)
2) Go for 90/100w. Please make sure you stick with branded kits. This is not confined just to the bulbs, but branded wiring, ceramic holder and relays. All should be branded stuff. Do not compromise on them. (Takes time, a lot of wiring, produces a lot of heat)
3) HID's. Again, use only branded products. This includes HID bulbs, pair of ballast and wires. (Lot easier installation, Produces least amount of heat. long life, best output. But it's expensive ).

I generally do not recommend HID's on stock Headlights since there may be a lot of scattering. Means, a lot of useful light will be scattered. HID's are basically meant to be used with Projector Headlights since they project the light. But if you use branded HID's and proper installation, then it wont be affected.

Since you are looking for better visibility, I would recommend you to go for higher rated bulbs. But make sure you use branded products and approach a skilled mechanic for installation .

All the best. Keep us updated.

Cheers.!
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2010, 15:15   #4427
BHPian
 
sajjt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 504
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by warp-drive View Post
I'm on the verge of replacing the stock Headlight Bulbs of my GP with Phillips Extreme Power 12V 6O/55W (H4's).
Also replacing the fog lights with Phillips Blue vision H1's 12V/55W.
This is being done bearing in mind my ride's just 3weeks old ;Wanted to avoid warranty related issues associated with HID Kits replacing the wiring etc.
Phillips claims 80% more light/25 mts longer beam.[ I reckon that should be taken with a pinch of Mobil1!]

I would appreciate confirmation from ye experts if this is the appropriate choice considering my requirement is basically better lighting/improved vehicle aesthetics.
Gurus, kindly shed some ''Xenon'' light on this conundrum!
I would say this blue/white tint is more or less a fancy light as its not an all weather lighting solution. Admitting that these got a eye catching tint and better visibility in normal weather especially the sign boards, road markings are more highlighted with this.

Any thing beyond 5K CT visibility will be severely affected during bad weather like rain and fogs as it gets absorbed so easily and you may even think that light intensity is reduced or not. You can see the sun light produces an extremely white light. Sun light is 4850K, and most HID systems produce about 6000K. Most vehicles are equipped with standard halogen bulbs with a Kelvin around 3200K. So its always safer to stay away from these useless blue/white tints.

Name:  CT Chart.jpg
Views: 1748
Size:  33.0 KB

If you want to upgrade the lights for better visibility, go for the suggested 4-5K CT range as it can travel more distance than these fancy colours and thereby more visibility and safety.

Considering these cons would you sacrifice the safety over fancy?
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 07:14   #4428
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I generally do not recommend HID's on stock Headlights since there may be a lot of scattering. Means, a lot of useful light will be scattered. HID's are basically meant to be used with Projector Headlights since they project the light. But if you use branded HID's and proper installation, then it wont be affected.
You mean use Branded HIDs with Projector HLs - right?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2010, 09:55   #4429
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,547
Thanked: 2,540 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
You mean use Branded HIDs with Projector HLs - right?
Yes, I would definitely recommend that. But, for some cars it's hard to source readymade projector HL's. You will have to retro fir them. And moreover, the whole assembly will be expensive.

BTW, wats your ride?
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2010, 22:28   #4430
BHPian
 
canonguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 98
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Can anybody suggest a good place near HSR Layout to source Hella 500FF or 700FF? Also any pointers to a good place to get them installed on an SX4, pls?
canonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 07:57   #4431
BHPian
 
jeeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 599
Thanked: 488 Times
Default

Reliance Autozone (on the Silk board-HSR layout road) has these. Things there are a bit overpriced, except for those Chinese fancy stuff (pouches, covers, holders etc...)
The accessory shops at JC road would have these at a lesser price, but one can never be sure if they are genuine ones.
Otherwise, here you go: Hella India : Distributor Locator

Not sure, if the Reliance folks will fit the lights, coz it would probably need some good clamps to be fabricated.
Karnataka Auto Electrical is a reputed one at that. When you go towards JC road, its on the left side after that new red coloured apparel shopping mall (some brand factory).

Last edited by jeeva : 19th October 2010 at 08:03.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 10:17   #4432
BHPian
 
Twiny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Cochin-Bangalore
Posts: 297
Thanked: 46 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Karnataka Auto Electrical is a reputed one at that. When you go towards JC road, its on the left side after that new red coloured apparel shopping mall (some brand factory).
If we are giving the lights assembly, how long will they take for fabricating the light clamps? Will they does complete (wiring harness & light) installation in sedan ? (means removal/fitting of bumper if required?)
Thanks..
Twiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 14:22   #4433
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Raleigh,NC
Posts: 141
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiny View Post
If we are giving the lights assembly, how long will they take for fabricating the light clamps? Will they does complete (wiring harness & light) installation in sedan ? (means removal/fitting of bumper if required?)
Thanks..
You can try Car Fittings in Double Road. I had my Lightforce installed there sometimes back. Take a left after the HDFC bank if you are coming from Lalbagh gate towards the double road flyover. His name is Basha. He charges 1400 /-. He was impressed with the wiring harness that came with the light force. He said he usually makes the wiring harness if the customer does not get one.

The fabrications and the whole fitting will not take more than 3 hours.
bkishore_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 15:01   #4434
BHPian
 
rm_arjuna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 440
Thanked: 50 Times
Default

last week upgraded my H/L to 100/90 in my getz , i see lots of blisters on the top of reflectors . I am worried of any damages that might arise forcing a change in headlight cluster . should i revert back to 60/55 .any suggestion guys!
rm_arjuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 15:02   #4435
BHPian
 
Rodeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 348
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

I have a Palio D which we use as 3rd car and its been hardly used nowadays. Now 3 out of 4 headlights have stopped working as holders hv melted. I have a choice of replacing the headlights which would cost me 5k but if i can avoid spending then it would be good as car is not used much. Can i change the holder and wiring so that atleast i can see four beams coming which is good enough for city driving as Hyd is quite well litup.
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 16:09   #4436
Senior - BHPian
 
anujmishra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,266
Thanked: 320 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
last week upgraded my H/L to 100/90 in my getz , i see lots of blisters on the top of reflectors . I am worried of any damages that might arise forcing a change in headlight cluster . should i revert back to 60/55 .any suggestion guys!
Is reflector made of plastic in Getz? I am using 100/90 in my 800 for last 2.5 years without any problem.

I would suggest you to go for Philips Extreme bulbs which will cost you around 850.00 a pair. But before looking into any alternatives, find out the root cause for those blisters. It may be the case that immense heat that 100/90 produces would cause those blisters.
anujmishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 16:33   #4437
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Head and Tail light for Mark 3

I am modifying my Ambassador - Mark 3. Wanted some suggestions in the head light and tail lights design. I want to put something that is trendy yet simple. Can someone suggest which types of lights would look nice, in terms of design and style.

It would be great if you could upload some pics of lights (used in certain cars that you like) so that i can have a pictorial imagination of the light on my Amby.
Kavish11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 17:15   #4438
BHPian
 
canonguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 98
Thanked: 3 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Reliance Autozone (on the Silk board-HSR layout road) has these. Things there are a bit overpriced, except for those Chinese fancy stuff (pouches, covers, holders etc...)
The accessory shops at JC road would have these at a lesser price, but one can never be sure if they are genuine ones.
Otherwise, here you go: Hella India : Distributor Locator

Not sure, if the Reliance folks will fit the lights, coz it would probably need some good clamps to be fabricated.
Karnataka Auto Electrical is a reputed one at that. When you go towards JC road, its on the left side after that new red coloured apparel shopping mall (some brand factory).
Thanks jeeva. Will check them out.
canonguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 17:50   #4439
BHPian
 
jeeva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 599
Thanked: 488 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavish11 View Post
I am modifying my Ambassador - Mark 3. Wanted some suggestions in the head light and tail lights design. I want to put something that is trendy yet simple. Can someone suggest which types of lights would look nice, in terms of design and style.
Kavish11, no offense meant to your idea of modifying a Mark3, but I feel you should retain its originality. There are a handful of amby experts in this forum who can guide you.
If you are familiar with JC road, Nitin Automobiles has most of the parts. Have seen people coming from far to procure stuff from them.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2010, 18:28   #4440
BHPian
 
ambivalent_98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune-Bangalore
Posts: 744
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Hi,
I have a Honda City ZX and I have not modified the headlights so far. This vacation I am going for a long drive and would like to upgrade the headlights. I have no clue in this matter. Suggestions are welcome about which brand to upgrade , what type , what is the approx cost.
I am more interested in function rather than showing off and blinding the vehicle coming from the opposite side. Waiting to hear from fellow-BHPians.
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3717 9th December 2016 22:09
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11182 3rd December 2016 17:34
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 71 17th February 2016 10:05
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 77 15th June 2015 13:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:05.

Copyright 2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks