Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2011, 12:58   #4906
Senior - BHPian
 
bottle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,487
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

^I remember paying about Rs.1400 for nightbreakers about a year ago, has the price dropped?
bottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 14:57   #4907
BHPian
 
nkapoor777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 567
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
^I remember paying about Rs.1400 for nightbreakers about a year ago, has the price dropped?
I'm talking about NB plus. See link below:
NEW Osram Night Breaker PLUS H4 472 +90% 12v 60/55w + Free 501 Extreme White Sidelights: Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 15:01   #4908
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Utopia!
Posts: 580
Thanked: 83 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottle View Post
^I remember paying about Rs.1400 for nightbreakers about a year ago, has the price dropped?
Seems high...IIRC, I paid less than Rs.850 for NB's (not NB+) from Osram dealer/distributor directly around 6-7 months back.
Digital Vampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 17:59   #4909
Senior - BHPian
 
cityvic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CCU | PHL
Posts: 1,678
Thanked: 2,508 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Guys how's Narva Bulbs?
cityvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 20:46   #4910
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 954 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkapoor777 View Post

I was just mentioning sometime ago (a day or two ago) that I was still going strong with the NB's that I bought a year ago for my i20. Friday night - one of the filaments conked off And I made the grave mistake of replacing them with Philips Crystal Vision - 4300K - I am NOT AT ALL happy with the output. It is all bull and no c**p. Just show!

I will have to go about looking for a store that stocks/sells Osram NB or NB+ in Bangalore - Any tips?

Kapoor saab - Is it a reliable site to order it online?
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 21:26   #4911
BHPian
 
HotChillyPepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bang_a_lore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 215 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
I will have to go about looking for a store that stocks/sells Osram NB or NB+ in Bangalore - Any tips?

Kapoor saab - Is it a reliable site to order it online?
I bought a pair of NB+ 60/55W H4 for 1150(MRP printed) from Sachin's Auto shop at Koramangala. I was using Hella 100/90W before. I felt the output of NB+ is same as my previous 100/90W bulbs, if not better. So I would recommend anyone who wants better output but still like to stick with OEM spec. The light is slightly white and spread is better than Hella. I am yet to align the head lamps after the bulbs changed, expecting some positive changes in high beam throw after that.

The main reason I didn't buy a Hella again is the availability of original one's. Most shops in Bangalore sells duplicates of Hella H4.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 11th April 2011 at 21:32.
HotChillyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 21:40   #4912
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 954 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
I bought a pair of NB+ 60/55W H4 for 1150(MRP printed) from Sachin's Auto shop at Koramangala. I was using Hella 100/90W before. I felt the output of NB+ is same as my previous 100/90W bulbs, if not better. So I would recommend anyone who wants better output but still like to stick with OEM spec. The light is slightly white and spread is better than Hella. I am yet to align the head lamps after the bulbs changed, expecting some positive changes in high beam throw after that.

The main reason I didn't buy a Hella again is the availability of original one's. Most shops in Bangalore sells duplicates of Hella H4.
Thank you Hotchillypepper. I just spoke with Suraj @ Autoshop and he has stock of NB+.

Light is slightly white - is what works best. Crystal vision sucks!

Align the head lamps? What car is that? I thought all modern cars come with motorized setting and no manual alignments.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 21:42   #4913
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 954 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityvic View Post
Guys how's Narva Bulbs?
As per their website, they seem to be good -- question is - do they ship to India. If yes, at what cost!
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 22:05   #4914
BHPian
 
HotChillyPepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bang_a_lore
Posts: 605
Thanked: 215 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Align the head lamps? What car is that? I thought all modern cars come with motorized setting and no manual alignments.
By align what I meant is adjusting the focus. All Halogen bulb fitted Headlamps will have an option to focus the beam. Motorized thing is only to adjust the beam up/down from inside the vehicle.

BTW, the vehicle is a Magnum.
HotChillyPepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 22:57   #4915
BHPian
 
nkapoor777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 567
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
I was just mentioning sometime ago (a day or two ago) that I was still going strong with the NB's that I bought a year ago for my i20. Friday night - one of the filaments conked off And I made the grave mistake of replacing them with Philips Crystal Vision - 4300K - I am NOT AT ALL happy with the output. It is all bull and no c**p. Just show!

I will have to go about looking for a store that stocks/sells Osram NB or NB+ in Bangalore - Any tips?

Kapoor saab - Is it a reliable site to order it online?
You spoke too soon!

I just linked the Amazon website to emphasise on the NB+ bulb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotChillyPepper View Post
I bought a pair of NB+ 60/55W H4 for 1150(MRP printed) from Sachin's Auto shop at Koramangala. I was using Hella 100/90W before. I felt the output of NB+ is same as my previous 100/90W bulbs, if not better. So I would recommend anyone who wants better output but still like to stick with OEM spec. The light is slightly white and spread is better than Hella. I am yet to align the head lamps after the bulbs changed, expecting some positive changes in high beam throw after that.

The main reason I didn't buy a Hella again is the availability of original one's. Most shops in Bangalore sells duplicates of Hella H4.
I have been quoted a price of 800/pair over the phone. This is from an authorised distributor (couple of friends have tried already and are satisfied)
nkapoor777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 13:43   #4916
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 436
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishsegar View Post
I just managed to locate an authorized dealer in Mumbai for OSRAM through their distribution network. I will meet them this weekend to buy nightbreaker for my TJet. Will post the address after i meet them and confirm that they are indeed authorized dealers.
Any update on this? Any contact details?
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 20:24   #4917
Newbie
 
EvilxKnievil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: _-*-_-*-_
Posts: 22
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Naveen, I10 head lamp replacement is not an easy job like other cars as the space behind the HL assembly is very limited AFAIK. Haven't come across any I10 with Hids so far.Its better to consult with a good accessory shop to make sure this as the HID bulb is slightly bigger than normal bulbs.
Yes the i10 has issues with space when putting in HID kits ..... In fact, there is one more issue which I came across..... its about the fact that most other cars come with double wiring and i10 comes with single wiring which makes it technically difficult..... I donno how to xplain in detail ... I am sorry.

Although that said and done, I do have a swift running H4 Bi Xenons + H11 Xenons both burning @ 10000K on 55W ballasts ...... and they are housed in OEM headlamps with no projectors. I thought about installing projectors for the same, but realised that either the projectors available are for halogens and if the retrofit available is for swift's OEM, then there is a chance it may leave gaps in the fitting unless done perfectly. This may later lead to dust accumulation in the unit leading to more glare.

The other option is to change the unit all together. I thot abt it as well. The usual Angel eye kits with projectors available in the market are nothing less that useless. One of my friend's installed it and didnt run for a week that he decided to throw them away. So I did some digging and came to the conclusion that MARS sells excellent aftermarket Headlamps with projectors for Swift. It was an excellent unit, looked like it was built to last and had nice quality. But luck didnt favor me there as well for MARS kit of Suzuki Swift does not support H4 bulbs.

So the OEM bulb or H4 Bi Xenons does not fit in the MARS kit in case anyone is planning to buy it.

Finally I gave up and came to the conclusion that if you want to be a responsible driver, drive low beam when there is oncoming traffic and all will be well. Usually what I have noticed is that when people see me coming from far, regardless of the car they are in, they automatically dim their lights as I come closer. It sure does put a grin on my face. Very rarely has anyone tried to put high beams against me. I still dont put high beams, so all is well...... no cops have caught me so far(Touchwood).

@ Naveen.raju -> I went with 10000K knowing its blue because I wanted something different. I have LED washer jets on the hood which have blue LEDs facing the front. I also have Blue theme for interior of this car, so call me stupid but I went with it .....
Attached Images
   
EvilxKnievil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 11:30   #4918
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilxKnievil View Post
Yes the i10 has issues with space when putting in HID kits ..... In fact, there is one more issue which I came across..... its about the fact that most other cars come with double wiring and i10 comes with single wiring which makes it technically difficult..... I donno how to xplain in detail ... I am sorry.

Although that said and done, I do have a swift running H4 Bi Xenons + H11 Xenons both burning @ 10000K on 55W ballasts ...... and they are housed in OEM headlamps with no projectors. I thought about installing projectors for the same, but realised that either the projectors available are for halogens and if the retrofit available is for swift's OEM, then there is a chance it may leave gaps in the fitting unless done perfectly. This may later lead to dust accumulation in the unit leading to more glare.

The other option is to change the unit all together. I thot abt it as well. The usual Angel eye kits with projectors available in the market are nothing less that useless. One of my friend's installed it and didnt run for a week that he decided to throw them away. So I did some digging and came to the conclusion that MARS sells excellent aftermarket Headlamps with projectors for Swift. It was an excellent unit, looked like it was built to last and had nice quality. But luck didnt favor me there as well for MARS kit of Suzuki Swift does not support H4 bulbs.

So the OEM bulb or H4 Bi Xenons does not fit in the MARS kit in case anyone is planning to buy it.

Finally I gave up and came to the conclusion that if you want to be a responsible driver, drive low beam when there is oncoming traffic and all will be well. Usually what I have noticed is that when people see me coming from far, regardless of the car they are in, they automatically dim their lights as I come closer. It sure does put a grin on my face. Very rarely has anyone tried to put high beams against me. I still dont put high beams, so all is well...... no cops have caught me so far(Touchwood).

@ Naveen.raju -> I went with 10000K knowing its blue because I wanted something different. I have LED washer jets on the hood which have blue LEDs facing the front. I also have Blue theme for interior of this car, so call me stupid but I went with it .....
Would really love to see your car dude with those HID's. How about some pics of them.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 14:02   #4919
Newbie
 
EvilxKnievil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: _-*-_-*-_
Posts: 22
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Sure Naveen. I will post some pics. I am going home for Vishu today after work and will be back on Monday. I will post them once m back.

By the way, forgive my noob mistake guys, the pics I have uploaded in my previous post are

Left to Right
----------------
1. HID @ 6000K with projectors(55W)
2. Same without projectors
3. i10 headlamp unit with projector installed (courtesy mxsmotosport)
EvilxKnievil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2011, 23:30   #4920
BHPian
 
blorebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 390
Thanked: 32 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

My Swift stock lights are not good for my highway driving. (I do around 12 hrs/300kms)of high way driving in the night in a month. hence looking for options.
1. Upgrade the bulb to higher watts - Please provide some options which are easy for the pocket.
2. Go for additional lights to supplement head lamps and use this only in highway. Keep the stock bulbs as is and advantage is in the city I use this and do not affend the fellow user during my daily city driving. Question - Is there any head light supplements available? (NOT fog lamps as they are for fog and for shorter distance as I have observed in my swift fog lamp) If there are lamps of this category please suggest value for money option ones.

Thanks in advance.
blorebuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3714 8th December 2016 08:56
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11182 3rd December 2016 17:34
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 71 17th February 2016 10:05
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 77 15th June 2015 13:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:56.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks