Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2011, 01:50   #5446
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 864
Thanked: 177 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

My philips crystal vision H4 (4300K) blew its High Beam, one by one both sides blew up, now I am with normal OEM yellow crap head lamp.

I am going to try the OSRAM Nightbreaker plus.
Can someone please confirm whats the cost of pair currently, I read is Rs.900/pair

Also if someone can post name of any shop in lajpat nagar who sells these, I would be very obliged, as my small town sells these on high prices and i've someone coming from delhi who can pick them only if they are available in Lajpat Nagar Part I only.

Last edited by ghpk : 27th August 2011 at 01:51.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 10:36   #5447
BHPian
 
whitelion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kolhapur
Posts: 202
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
My philips crystal vision H4 (4300K) blew its High Beam, one by one both sides blew up, now I am with normal OEM yellow crap head lamp.

I am going to try the OSRAM Nightbreaker plus.
Can someone please confirm whats the cost of pair currently, I read is Rs.900/pair

Also if someone can post name of any shop in lajpat nagar who sells these, I would be very obliged, as my small town sells these on high prices and i've someone coming from delhi who can pick them only if they are available in Lajpat Nagar Part I only.
I am also from a Small Town Osram NBP is available for 980/- at dealer and accessory shops are selling it for 1200/- Try to contact Osram Distributor and he will tell you nearby dealer who will give you at reasonable price. I did same, I contacted Mumbai Distributor who in turn gave contact in My town.

Please tell me about Crystal Vision how did you Find them. Are they adequate ?
whitelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 18:01   #5448
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 864
Thanked: 177 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
I am also from a Small Town Osram NBP is available for 980/- at dealer and accessory shops are selling it for 1200/- Try to contact Osram Distributor and he will tell you nearby dealer who will give you at reasonable price. I did same, I contacted Mumbai Distributor who in turn gave contact in My town.

Please tell me about Crystal Vision how did you Find them. Are they adequate ?
Philips Crystal vision were performing very well on my santro, All other cars headlights passing by used to look pale and yellow.

A lot of people even asked me if i have Installed pure white HID and were surprised to know that its only the bulb, but as soon i told them price which was 1000+ they just backed off and concluded the conversation.

I posted the package pic and price on some thread approx 1.5 year or more back, you would need to search for them.

This time i do want OSRAM as philips CV, lasted only a year and i've used 2 pair till now, Now its time to give osram a try.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 22:35   #5449
BHPian
 
AnkitPrashar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 111
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

hello everyone

I am planning to retrofit a new headlamp cluster in my vehicle.
My only issue is that my current stock headlmap has an H4 main bulb, a small parking light and a regular turn signal bulb.

The new headlamp on the other hand has 2 H7 bulbs , a small parking light and a regular turn signal. I wish to know would i have to do any changes to my vehicles electrical systems or can i just plug-n-play.

Please note that i am not just changing the bulbs in a headlamp from H4 to H7, rather i am changing the whole headlamp cluster to a new one which uses more powerful bulbs.

New Headlamp specs:-

• Bulb Type: H7 / H7
• Bulb Type: PY21W
• Bulb Type: W5W
• Number of light functions: 4
• Rated Voltage: 12 V

Stock (Current) Headlamp Specs:-

• Bulb Type: H4
• Bulb Type: W5W
• Bulb Type: PY21W
AnkitPrashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 01:00   #5450
BHPian
 
whitelion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kolhapur
Posts: 202
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
I dont have the pic showing the beam pattern on a wall. Here's one taken in an open ground.

Car - Swift
HIDs - Philips 6000k running on stock reflectors.

Low Beam

High Beam

4300k vs 6000k HIDs (4300k HIDs running on my projectors - Swift)
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
The 6000k HID did look great in person. In the pic it feels that 6000k HIDs are better than the 4300k but in person I felt that 4300k HID performed better since the scattering was minimized due to the projectors in mine. Here are the pics during the same shootout.

4300k HIDs with projectors - Low inside view

4300k HIDs with projectors - Low outside view

4300k HIDs with projectors - High inside view

4300k HIDs with projectors - High outside view
Thanks naveen.raju for Beam Pictures.

I am Considering HIDs as HL upgradation for Figo. I have few queries

1. What is geometry, Cost and wattage of 4300K HIDs. (Figo HL are H4)
2. How they perform in Dry/rain or on wet tar road with Stock Reflectors ?
3. Do they harm reflectors or front shell ? Figo has both of them Plastic.
4. Is 55/60 Stock wiring and Fuse has enough rating for 4300K HIDs.
5. What is Cost of Projectors and Do you Find them useful.
6. Is there any blinding effect on Oncoming traffic.
7. Can HID be Fitted in Aux. lamps ?

Hope you respond at earliest.
whitelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 09:00   #5451
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,543
Thanked: 2,534 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
Thanks naveen.raju for Beam Pictures.

I am Considering HIDs as HL upgradation for Figo. I have few queries

Hope you respond at earliest.
My answers in bold

1. What is geometry, Cost and wattage of 4300K HIDs. (Figo HL are H4)
I have Auto Gauge 4300k HIDs. Got it for 7.5k 1.5 years back. Wattage - 35w.

2. How they perform in Dry/rain or on wet tar road with Stock Reflectors ?
Works well in dry but not all that good during rains. But I find it better than stock lights. I havent it tested this on stock reflectors though.

3. Do they harm reflectors or front shell ? Figo has both of them Plastic.
No. Since they emit very less heat, the reflectors will be safe.

4. Is 55/60 Stock wiring and Fuse has enough rating for 4300K HIDs.
Everything will be intact. A pair of ballast will be fitted with the existing wiring.

5. What is Cost of Projectors and Do you Find them useful.
Projectors can start from 6k (bolt on) and can go up to 20k depending on the quality. You will be able to find a decent one for 15k though. Definitely useful. HID's are meant to be used with projectors. I had tried using normal halogens in projectors. It was useless. When i installed HID's in my projectors, I could see the difference.

6. Is there any blinding effect on Oncoming traffic.
If HID's are used in stock reflectors - Yes. But an experienced installer can deal this and avoid much of the blinding effect. Check few pages back. I remember reading a post regarding this where someone installed it on stock reflectors and there is no blinding.

7. Can HID be Fitted in Aux. lamps ?
Definitely. It can be.

Hope this got some info that you needed. Let me know if you need any help.
Cheers!
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 13:20   #5452
BHPian
 
sajjt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 504
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnkitPrashar View Post
hello everyone

I am planning to retrofit a new headlamp cluster in my vehicle.
My only issue is that my current stock headlmap has an H4 main bulb, a small parking light and a regular turn signal bulb.

The new headlamp on the other hand has 2 H7 bulbs , a small parking light and a regular turn signal. I wish to know would i have to do any changes to my vehicles electrical systems or can i just plug-n-play.

Please note that i am not just changing the bulbs in a headlamp from H4 to H7, rather i am changing the whole headlamp cluster to a new one which uses more powerful bulbs.

New Headlamp specs:-

• Bulb Type: H7 / H7
• Bulb Type: PY21W
• Bulb Type: W5W
• Number of light functions: 4
• Rated Voltage: 12 V

Stock (Current) Headlamp Specs:-

• Bulb Type: H4
• Bulb Type: W5W
• Bulb Type: PY21W
At the outset let us know your ride, have you got the correct aftermarket fitment for replacing the stock H4? Assume that you are planning for quad lighting setup which is considered to be the best among existing lighting solutions.

Being with a H4 wiring, by stock you can have only one beam at a time, ie; low or high. But with a quad setup you can go for twin beam setup by altering the wiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
My answers in bold

1. What is geometry, Cost and wattage of 4300K HIDs. (Figo HL are H4)
I have Auto Gauge 4300k HIDs. Got it for 7.5k 1.5 years back. Wattage - 35w.
Naveen, P8 is available for just 5.8K which is far better than any other Chinese brands.

p8 HID Xenon Conversion Kit 6000k | eBay
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
If HID's are used in stock reflectors - Yes. But an experienced installer can deal this and avoid much of the blinding effect. Check few pages back. I remember reading a post regarding this where someone installed it on stock reflectors and there is no blinding.
Oh no, you dumped me by suggesting this Nobody can reduce the glares from HID on reflectors. The only thing they do is keep the beam level as much as low which will make the beam throw less effective. I guess you were referring to Frank's HID mod and its very much evident on the wall projection. See how much glares its producing even on low setting on the beam leveler.




Figo is a very practical hatch back in all terms except in lighting Every Figo owners will vouch this fact and almost every one is after HID upgrades which gives a bit of difference than the stock at the expense of others happiness. The reflector design itself not a good performer at least for a halogen, then what will be with a HID? Get ready to receive the warm/wild greets from your oncoming traffic.

Another thing, fitting projectors on Figo is a big pain as there's not much space is left for it especially on the sides, the bulb socket is not placed centrally. There should be at least 12cm depth and 3" dia in the reflector cavity to accommodate any retrofit projector. If you plan to fit a 2" projector too, with AEs it will come to 3" as outer dia which will be difficult to place it centrally as the side portion doesn't've much space left there.

Name:  H4 dimension.jpg
Views: 1176
Size:  26.9 KB

My friend is running with 35W HID on his Figo and still he's not satisfied with the performance but still, some thing better than stock lighting even though the beam spread has changed. Also admits that he used to get many flashes even if he's on low beam. Now we are in the process of fitting projectors on his ride as a better solution. We are considering 2" projectors for this but not sure of its success just because of the space constraints due to the HL design.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 16:42   #5453
BHPian
 
whitelion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kolhapur
Posts: 202
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
My answers in bold

1. What is geometry, Cost and wattage of 4300K HIDs. (Figo HL are H4)
I have Auto Gauge 4300k HIDs. Got it for 7.5k 1.5 years back. Wattage - 35w.

Hope this got some info that you needed. Let me know if you need any help.
Cheers!
What I mean by geometry is Whether The bulbs will fit into Stock Reflector socket Perfectly and Focus properly. Figo needs H4 bulbs. From whatever I have read on HIDs those work on different principle than normal Halogen bulbs which has filament and Filament is put at Focal Point of Reflector. But HIDs work on principle of Arc and it has different illumination characteristics than Filament. It is also at some offset to Focal point of reflector.

Your post was really helpful to me and I would like to express gratitude towards that. I am confident that If I need some help a Fellow BHPian is always standing by me. Thanks a lot for help.
whitelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 20:12   #5454
BHPian
 
Kimified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 231
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Got DRL's Fixed on my i20. Thought i'll share. Got these from DealExtreme. Let me know if there is any other place where it would look better.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-drl_1_edit.jpg


Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-drl_edit.jpg
Kimified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 23:55   #5455
BHPian
 
nikibusa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Vikhroli - (Mumbai)
Posts: 714
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

He He. I have the exact same setup on my car. How much did you buy these for? and how much time did it take for the product to reach at your address.
nikibusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 00:08   #5456
BHPian
 
ghpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 864
Thanked: 177 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

whitelion, I am also thinking of going the HID way this time.
I'll prefer white light and not blue one.
Found one ebay seller who complies with ebay global buy, this would help you get the product without worrying about custom clearance and I am sure this would be handled by ebay.in and ebay.com internally.

I am thinking of 6000K color one I sure they are white/whitest ones.

the price is also very competitive and I've heard about this brand from a few earlier.
check this link for product

Rs.3540/- for a paid of HID is very tempting.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 08:35   #5457
BHPian
 
whitelion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kolhapur
Posts: 202
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I read somewhere 4300K give Near to sunlight visibility so I feel 5000K is Nearest available to that. I have also read that blue tint light is less effective for visibility. So feel 5000K HIDs will be more functionally useful than Higher one. Anyways thanks for Information. As far as I am concerned I am studying other option of Hella Aux. Lamps due to Figo reflector Design. One of Fellow BHPian has installed such lamps and I am in touch with him before I conclude on this issue.
whitelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 09:17   #5458
BHPian
 
whitelion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kolhapur
Posts: 202
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Oh no, you dumped me by suggesting this Nobody can reduce the glares from HID on reflectors. The only thing they do is keep the beam level as much as low which will make the beam throw less effective. I guess you were referring to Frank's HID mod and its very much evident on the wall projection. See how much glares its producing even on low setting on the beam leveler.

Figo is a very practical hatch back in all terms except in lighting Every Figo owners will vouch this fact and almost every one is after HID upgrades which gives a bit of difference than the stock at the expense of others happiness. The reflector design itself not a good performer at least for a halogen, then what will be with a HID? Get ready to receive the warm/wild greets from your oncoming traffic.

Another thing, fitting projectors on Figo is a big pain as there's not much space is left for it especially on the sides, the bulb socket is not placed centrally. There should be at least 12cm depth and 3" dia in the reflector cavity to accommodate any retrofit projector. If you plan to fit a 2" projector too, with AEs it will come to 3" as outer dia which will be difficult to place it centrally as the side portion doesn't've much space left there.

My friend is running with 35W HID on his Figo and still he's not satisfied with the performance but still, some thing better than stock lighting even though the beam spread has changed. Also admits that he used to get many flashes even if he's on low beam. Now we are in the process of fitting projectors on his ride as a better solution. We are considering 2" projectors for this but not sure of its success just because of the space constraints due to the HL design.
Thanks sajjt for sharing this and Confirming issues about Figo reflectors. Before buying Figo I was aware of two issues with Figo First is HL and other is GC. Sunday evening My M800 mechanic and Me studied the visibility pattern with stock bulbs and concurred that adding high power bulbs will result in similar beam pattern so visibility will not Improve much. Today I read your post confirming that. So now only option left is Aux. Head Lamps to be Fitted with some zuggad.

In this thinking line HIDs Aux Lamps, HID projector Aux Lamps, Hella Aux. Lamps with 100w and Hella 35W fog lamps are the options being considered. In first two options I think I should use either HL or this and last 2 Options use them along with HL as and when required. Sajit your comments on this are very Valuable since you have experience with Figo lighting.
whitelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 10:27   #5459
BHPian
 
sajjt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 504
Thanked: 96 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
whitelion, I am also thinking of going the HID way this time.
I'll prefer white light and not blue one.
Found one ebay seller who complies with ebay global buy, this would help you get the product without worrying about custom clearance and I am sure this would be handled by ebay.in and ebay.com internally.

I am thinking of 6000K color one I sure they are white/whitest ones.

the price is also very competitive and I've heard about this brand from a few earlier.
check this link for product

Rs.3540/- for a paid of HID is very tempting.
Ebay GEB is considered to be a costly affair as they escalate the prices to cover any other unexpected duties or expenses whatever comes on the way and the result will be it will bear a higher price tag than a bulk imported ones. Shipping will also take another 2-3 weeks again depends on the purchase orders as they will wait for some minimum quantity of orders from GEB to reduce the shipping cost. What about the guarantee? If you google for GEB purchase experiences, you will come know of it. If you got a defective part, you need to send it back to them and wait for the refund. I had a similar experience when I odered a FM modulator with Bluetooth hands free costing 1.3K, it came as totally broken condition and got the refund after a few weeks waiting. Being its a low value and non-repairable item, I didn't have to send it back and once I fixed it with glue and tested, its working but it didn't last long as the outer casing was totally damaged.

I would suggest you to search for local shops for a better deal with 1year guarantee so that you can pay the money with peace of mind. You can even source this particular model from a local shops even on cheaper price. One more thing, lesser the money you pay lesser the quality of the kit, always invest in some branded kits usually available in the market. There are kits available in the market from 2.5K onwards for a pair but if you ask the quality, the shop keeper will give a grin max.

BTW, the listed kit is for single beam only, if you are looking for H4 you may have to pay something extra other than the listed price.

Using HID on reflector are illegal and dangerous, you are going to blind the on coming traffic and there by risking your life too. The installers will say they can keep it at its min but its just a false promise as nobody can do that. The increased intensity from the HID may tempt you to use it, but before that I would suggest to take a few snaps of stock beams spreads and compare with the HID beam spread, it will be totally different and you will be loosing the distant visibility than the stock due to the incorrect focusing of the new light source on a non compatible HL assy.

Last edited by sajjt : 29th August 2011 at 10:51.
sajjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 10:46   #5460
BHPian
 
whitelion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kolhapur
Posts: 202
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
Using HID on reflector are illegal and dangerous, you are going to blind the on coming traffic and there by risking your life too. The installers will say they can keep it at its min but its just a false promise as nobody can do that. The increased intensity from the HID may tempt you to use it, but before that I would suggest to take a few snaps of stock beams spreads and compare with the HID beam spread, it will be totally different and you will be loosing the distant visibility than the stock due to the incorrect focusing of the new light source on a non compatible HL assy.
This is exactly what I am afraid of. We studied Figo's Beam and spread with stock lamps as mentioned in earlier post now a new dimension of Focal Point of reflector has come into picture. So HIDs in stock reflector is not proper solution for Figo Lighting. Only option left is Auxiliary Lamps. Sajit please ref my recent posts and suggest some options for further study.

Last edited by whitelion : 29th August 2011 at 10:53.
whitelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11182 3rd December 2016 17:34
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3713 2nd December 2016 19:09
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 71 17th February 2016 10:05
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 77 15th June 2015 13:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:50.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks