Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 17:07   #5476
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default

I bought the Philips H7 HID 4200K color, for 140 pounds from Ebay UK. Its for the Skoda Laura FL, low beam. None of the dealers in India had 4200K. I prefer OEM color temp, so was adamant on that. Lets see what improvement i would get over the halogens, especially in rain.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 17:41   #5477
BHPian
 
Tassem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 471
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
None of the dealers in India had 4200K. I prefer OEM color temp
Adi, Sandeep Chawla is a Philips distributor in Bangalore and has stock of 4200K HID Lamps.

If anybody you know is still looking for the same, Sandeep can be reached on 080-26708097. If I remember correctly, the kit costs 8k with bill and warranty.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:07   #5478
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,701
Thanked: 317 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
I bought the Philips H7 HID 4200K color, for 140 pounds from Ebay UK. Its for the Skoda Laura FL, low beam. None of the dealers in India had 4200K. I prefer OEM color temp, so was adamant on that. Lets see what improvement i would get over the halogens, especially in rain.
Doesn't Skoda Laura have Halogen Projectors in Low - Beam ?
Aren't Halogen projectors and Hid projectors different ? (design of the reflectors etc)
So will the Halogen projectors produce proper output when HID bulbs with kit is installed ?
Somebody correct me IF I'm wrong.


Don't worry about the 4200K bulbs, the light colour is almost similar to the Normal Halogen bulbs colour.
Anything above 6000K hid bulbs will have a poor visibility issue in rain.
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 19:19   #5479
BHPian
 
Tassem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 471
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Aren't Halogen projectors and Hid projectors different ? (design of the reflectors etc)
So will the Halogen projectors produce proper output when HID bulbs with kit is installed ?
I'm with you here. There are some cars where they use halogen bulbs in HID projectors for the lower variants. In such cars, we can safely upgrade to HID and get a bright focused beam with a crisp cutoff.

However some cars have specific projectors for HID and Halogen. It appears the Laura falls into that category. See Below:

Having said that, the beam should still be much better than installing HID on regular reflectors. I'm saying this because I know someone who's used Skoda projectors to build an HID kit for his Lancer. The beam appears just as any HID projector should look. I guess auto-levelling is the main feature lost.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-laura.jpg  


Last edited by Tassem : 2nd September 2011 at 19:28.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:13   #5480
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

[quote=

If anybody you know is still looking for the same, Sandeep can be reached on 080-26708097. If I remember correctly, the kit costs 8k with bill and warranty.[/QUOTE]

think m too late to post….. thanks anyways for the contact. its ought to be useful in future for many of my friends.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:16   #5481
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Doesn't Skoda Laura have Halogen Projectors in Low - Beam ?
Aren't Halogen projectors and Hid projectors different ? (design of the reflectors etc)
So will the Halogen projectors produce proper output when HID bulbs with kit is installed ?
Somebody correct me IF I'm wrong.


Don't worry about the 4200K bulbs, the light colour is almost similar to the Normal Halogen bulbs colour.
Anything above 6000K hid bulbs will have a poor visibility issue in rain.
Yaar I believe, the projectors assembly is not different for the halogens as well as HIDs. still would have to confirm it with the Skoda ***. I am installing the HIDs anyway.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:20   #5482
BHPian
 
adi_petrolhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 780
Thanked: 765 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Having said that, the beam should still be much better than installing HID on regular reflectors. I'm saying this because I know someone who's used Skoda projectors to build an HID kit for his Lancer. The beam appears just as any HID projector should look. I guess auto-levelling is the main feature lost.
I guess if the beam is precise, it should not be a problem even though there is no dynamic(auto) leveling. i can live with the manual leveling.
adi_petrolhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 11:42   #5483
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,384
Thanked: 5,229 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post

However some cars have specific projectors for HID and Halogen. It appears the Laura falls into that category. See Below:

Having said that, the beam should still be much better than installing HID on regular reflectors. I'm saying this because I know someone who's used Skoda projectors to build an HID kit for his Lancer. The beam appears just as any HID projector should look. I guess auto-levelling is the main feature lost.
The assembly is the same, and so will be the output. In Europe with HIDs auto levelling and washers are mandatory with HIDs hence the version of the Laura with HIDs comes with those. The lower verions have halogens so they don't need auto levelling. The output will be the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
Yaar I believe, the projectors assembly is not different for the halogens as well as HIDs. still would have to confirm it with the Skoda ***. I am installing the HIDs anyway.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2011, 21:30   #5484
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 49
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I recently procured the illuminated Scuff plates for my Scorpio from Ebay for Rs 1.8K including shipping. They came in good working condition with 3M sticking tapes already pasted. I am considering connecting them to the footboard lights. Is there any problem with doing that ? Any suggestions ?
moinakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 09:36   #5485
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,535 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The assembly is the same, and so will be the output. In Europe with HIDs auto levelling and washers are mandatory with HIDs hence the version of the Laura with HIDs comes with those. The lower verions have halogens so they don't need auto levelling. The output will be the same.
One question I have is what is the difference between auto and manual leveling?

I have aftermarket projectors on my Swift. I tried using halogens in them at first but the output was horrible. After few days, I switched to 4300k HIDs. Now the output is brilliant. So a major difference when halogens and HID's are used here. Also, my projectors are connected to the OEM beam leveling feature. Now I can adjust the beam level of the projectors. Is this called the auto leveling? Am guessing manual leveling will be to adjust the beam level by adjusting the screws on the projectors itself. I have seen this in the older Swift projectors. Correct me if am wrong.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 11:16   #5486
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,384
Thanked: 5,229 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
One question I have is what is the difference between auto and manual leveling?

I have aftermarket projectors on my Swift. I tried using halogens in them at first but the output was horrible. After few days, I switched to 4300k HIDs. Now the output is brilliant. So a major difference when halogens and HID's are used here. Also, my projectors are connected to the OEM beam leveling feature. Now I can adjust the beam level of the projectors. Is this called the auto leveling? Am guessing manual leveling will be to adjust the beam level by adjusting the screws on the projectors itself. I have seen this in the older Swift projectors. Correct me if am wrong.
Manual levelling is what you are talking about buddy. Adjusting the switch on your dash and then the headlights adjust.

With auto levelling, the car senses the load and speed and automatically adjusts the level without you having to do anything.
Akshay1234 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 10:38   #5487
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 472
Thanked: 376 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by moinakg View Post
I recently procured the illuminated Scuff plates for my Scorpio from Ebay for Rs 1.8K including shipping. They came in good working condition with 3M sticking tapes already pasted. I am considering connecting them to the footboard lights. Is there any problem with doing that ? Any suggestions ?
You should connect to either the footboard lights or to the door-open activated light. You do not want the lights to be on all the time.

Go to a nearby accessories guy and ask him to do it. He will test out the correct wire on the nearest connector and get it done for you.
keyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2011, 23:27   #5488
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 49
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
You should connect to either the footboard lights or to the door-open activated light. You do not want the lights to be on all the time.

Go to a nearby accessories guy and ask him to do it. He will test out the correct wire on the nearest connector and get it done for you.
Thanks. I did open up the footboard light socket and the floor plates holding down the carpet. The footboard light socket appears to be the nearest connector. There are also holes in the floor plugged by plastic caps. The wire can be routed through these holes and under the door frame rubber lining to keep it totally concealed. Anyway I will check with an accessory shop.
moinakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 08:48   #5489
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 469 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by moinakg View Post
There are also holes in the floor plugged by plastic caps. The wire can be routed through these holes and under the door frame rubber lining to keep it totally concealed. Anyway I will check with an accessory shop.
Please don't remove or tamper with those plastic caps on the floor ; else you'll start seeing a damp floor soon ; the wires can be routed from under the plastic cover holding the carpet down and then through the door rubber beading
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 13:17   #5490
BHPian
 
Peter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mumbai Goa
Posts: 205
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Team,

I have been experiencing a strange issue with my recently upgraded headlights...here are the details.

Car : Maruti SX4 DDIS
Light Upgrade details : Upgraded to 100/90 Osram bulbs
Wiring Harness used : PMP wiring/relay KIT

The Issue :
The lights seemed to be working flawlessly for quite sometime after which I noticed that the LOW beam gave up on me only to realise that it was a blown fuse , the fuse was replaced and all was well for naother maybe 2 weeks.

The issue reoccurred again after 2 weeks with the fuse blowing up for the LOW beam only and this has been happening for the past 4 instances now only for the LOW beam,

As you know the Fuse has 2 pins hence the female holder has 2 sockets as well , out of these one of the sockets is kind of blackened due to heat Iam guessing.

The only thing to get the LOW beam in working condition is by replacing the FUSE for now.

Could you please advice as to what would be possible causes for the FUSE to conk off ?

I have been using a similar kit thought of ROOTS in my Hyundai Accent with the same bulbs for the past 2 years without any issues.

Please advice
Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11182 3rd December 2016 17:34
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3713 2nd December 2016 19:09
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 71 17th February 2016 10:05
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 77 15th June 2015 13:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:08.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks