Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2011, 20:13   #5521
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,816
Thanked: 2,927 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

@Headers, pls dont keep this as your only source of light. Have a back-up aux light.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 22:07   #5522
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Headers, pls dont keep this as your only source of light. Have a back-up aux light.
Why? And can you suggest something [brand / cost / install directions]?

Thanx buddy!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th September 2011, 13:36   #5523
BHPian
 
Tassem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 471
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkishya View Post
Yes, I had to cut the cap too. I've tried to reduce the opening as much as possible by sticking double sided tape both inside and outside the cap, but only time will tell if it will stay that way.
That was what I was worried about. You may want to try silicon sealant for best results. Plus they dont harden over a period of time and will retain some elasticity. I'm still looking for a replacement. Only then will I cut the existing cap.

Quote:
Tassem, BTW, Darryl shipped 1.5" Autorunner for rear tyres today.
Hey that's cool. Have you installed it yet? Start a new thread on it. I haven't been able to get back to Darryl yet. Been busy the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Why? And can you suggest something [brand / cost / install directions]?

Thanx buddy!
After market HIDs have a nasty habit of failing when you least expect it. And since its for your jeep which I assume goes on trails this should be a concern. To be honest, if this is primarily an off road vehicle, skip the projector and install them directly to your existing reflectors. You can use the scattered light when off roading.

And look for the slimmer electronic ballast. These are much more resistant to bumps and vibrations and have a lesser failure rate. Not that the older ones fail easily. I've had HID lamps on my lancer for the last two years and have not faced any problems yet.

Always go with a reputed brand even if it costs you a tad higher. I would strongly suggest Philips 4300K. Buy it directly from a distributor to avoid fakes. It should cost you around 8k. Installation is very simple and can be a DIY. The only hitch is if you end up needing mounts for the ballast and don't have anything handy.

Last edited by Tassem : 12th September 2011 at 13:45.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 14:04   #5524
Senior - BHPian
 
panky12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,638
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hi, planning to change the H1 and H7 bulbs of my indigo.. No HIDs/projectors blah blah. Need suggestions, interested in 100/90 but no options with relay I suppose.
panky12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 14:24   #5525
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hi, I want to upgrade the headlamp lighting of my Baleno from stock to at least 100/90. I have the original (Stanley?) company fitted fog lamps as well.

I am guessing 130/100 would get too hot for the plastic lens of the Baleno causing it to yellow over time. Is this right, or can I go with 130/100 safely (more is always better)?

With regard to the relay, holders, and wiring, I am hearing differing views on the ready-made plug and play wiring loom (with relay and ceramic holders) versus buying the relay, holders, and wiring separately and doing the wiring manually.

Some say the ready-made looms ("electronics") get bad quickly and give problem after just a few months and/or are unreliable and could fail in the middle of nowhere in the dark, and that the manually done (with the bigger metal relay in place of the integrated sealed black box one) system is preferred and more robust.

Others say there is no such thing and the ready-made kits (PMP) are just fine, and if anything, it is the fuse holders which sometimes melt after some time and can be easily spliced off and replaced. Ditto for the relay - which they say is as likely to fail in the integrated kit as versus the mix and match one.

Could you guys please help out and give me your advice with regard to what to go for etc.?
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 18:40   #5526
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 954 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Hi, I want to upgrade the headlamp lighting of my Baleno from stock to at least 100/90. I have the original (Stanley?) company fitted fog lamps as well.

I am guessing 130/100 would get too hot for the plastic lens of the Baleno causing it to yellow over time. Is this right, or can I go with 130/100 safely (more is always better)?

With regard to the relay, holders, and wiring, I am hearing differing views on the ready-made plug and play wiring loom (with relay and ceramic holders) versus buying the relay, holders, and wiring separately and doing the wiring manually.

Some say the ready-made looms ("electronics") get bad quickly and give problem after just a few months and/or are unreliable and could fail in the middle of nowhere in the dark, and that the manually done (with the bigger metal relay in place of the integrated sealed black box one) system is preferred and more robust.

Others say there is no such thing and the ready-made kits (PMP) are just fine, and if anything, it is the fuse holders which sometimes melt after some time and can be easily spliced off and replaced. Ditto for the relay - which they say is as likely to fail in the integrated kit as versus the mix and match one.

Could you guys please help out and give me your advice with regard to what to go for etc.?
Just my 2 paisa on this - The "electronics" are always at a risk of failing. Could be within days, could take years.

My own experience - I got Stebel Nautilus on my i20 and it came with an electronic relay and within days it failed - the horn just started blaring continuously in the middle of traffic and I had to hurriedly put it aside to pull the "safety" fuse off. I was strongly recommended to go for the PMP stuff and I was almost ready when the electrician (at HASS) fished out another electronic relay saying lets take another chance. and it hasn't failed so far. (almost year n a half with it now)

The "PMP" stuff is more robust though it could be a little clumsier than its electronic counterparts.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 19:01   #5527
Senior - BHPian
 
ebonho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,942
Thanked: 3,170 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Thanks Shubz. Actually, PMP makes both the integrated complete loom "kits" (with built in relay and holders) as well as separate relays for which you need to do wiring separately with separate ceramic holders (Roots are supposed to be the best?). So my question really was which route to go. The integrated kit is much simpler to fit (plug and play) and would be the cheaper less hassle option for sure as well. But I don't want it konking off on me in the middle of nowhere. At least the relatively dim 60/55 lights have worked non-stop since January 2005 .... same bulbs as from the factory (I still have the company replacements in my glove box).
ebonho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 12:12   #5528
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,701
Thanked: 317 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Hi, Thanx ^^ - am tempted to go for HID with projector setup for my Jeep

Any pointers as to where in Chennai I could source the HID and projector ? and indicative prices? Currently, using Phillips 100/90 HLs - Beam throw is OK and not great especially low beam and I am wondering how to work on it!

Looks like finally I too am getting bit by the HID bug!!
Will you be taking the Jeep on a highway ? If yes, then wouldn't suggest you Projectors. As the Jeep does have ony 1 pair of headlight for High/low (seperate are like Civic, Fiesta etc ) So you'll have to fit a Bixenon projector in the headlight dome. The high beam throw from the projectors is not too great in many projectors (except for the Hella E55, FX-R projectors, which are fairly good).
Most of the Chinese projectors are not good in terms of light throw.

If only for city use, then projectors are just fine, where the low beam intensity, spread & Cutoff is good.

I have Morimoto H1 Projectors(With good 35W Hid Kit) on my Civic, so telling it by experience.

Speaking purely interms of throw of light, As of now Halogens can't be beaten up by projectors.( I have not used 75W Hid's co can't compare and comment on them)

Even if you install Projectors, don't just keep these projectors as only source of light, have Auxiliary ones, where the light throw & Spread is good.
As Lighting up of some HID take 3-5 seconds to time, sometimes you might loose the PASS-Beam option.

If you want very good low beam projectors then Acura TSX (S2K) projectors are too good along with TL/ZKW-R projectors, but these are expensive.
You can check here for the same and also for the price
The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
can you suggest something [brand / cost / install directions]?
Please check here for Hella products with price
http://www.shop4hella.com/listProduct.aspx?DeptId=1

Last edited by sushrutha : 14th September 2011 at 12:16. Reason: added hella URL
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 12:17   #5529
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,901
Thanked: 2,923 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

small query.
Is it okay if i remove my headlights, remove bulbs, and give a gentle wash to insides with water?
no poking with cloths inside, just gentle sloshes of water filled through the bulb holes?
and leave it to dry completely before putting it back on?
just asking.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 13:03   #5530
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,701
Thanked: 317 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
small query.
Is it okay if i remove my headlights, remove bulbs, and give a gentle wash to insides with water?
no poking with cloths inside, just gentle sloshes of water filled through the bulb holes?
and leave it to dry completely before putting it back on?
just asking.
Should be Ok as long as you don't use Hard water. Else when drying it might leave some water mark stains.
The same technique is followed by the Headlamp restorers/sellers here in Shivajinagar Gujri in BLR. I have seen them doing it.
They also carefully clean the reflectors & polish Headlamp assembly with wax polish.
Instead of using cloth, You can use pressurised Air to remove the water droplets.
Make sure you dry it in clean place without dust, and front part upside, so that if the water is trapped inside, it flows down.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 13:14   #5531
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Noida
Posts: 519
Thanked: 175 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
small query.
Is it okay if i remove my headlights, remove bulbs, and give a gentle wash to insides with water?
no poking with cloths inside, just gentle sloshes of water filled through the bulb holes?
and leave it to dry completely before putting it back on?
just asking.
If the headlights are beam levelling motor equipped, then definitely no. Even otherwise, depending on cars, headlights have at least three bulbs in them. Main light, parking light and side turn indicator. Would you be able to remove all bulbs? And there is a whole lot of wiring inside. I think there would be a risk of short circuit if traces of water are left on electrical connections. It might just work fine but I think there is a risk. Just my views.
amit1234singla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 13:18   #5532
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Will you be taking the Jeep on a highway ?
Yes, most definitely - infact thats the reason for the question. IN city I hardly use HL - Street lights are good enough.

Now, my question is -

I'm using 90/100 Halogens [yellow light] in my jeep. Can I use some other bulb like Phillips Nightvision or Osram Night breakers that give me White light?

Is this white light as "white" as the HID? The only down side of Halogens over HID is higher power consumption, but guess I dont have much choice and taking the Bi Xenon route for my Jeep may not make sense for me at this point in time!


Or should I go for 100/130 and add 4 lights on the roof of the vehicle
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 13:20   #5533
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,901
Thanked: 2,923 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit1234singla View Post
If the headlights are beam levelling motor equipped, then definitely no. Even otherwise, depending on cars, headlights have at least three bulbs in them. Main light, parking light and side turn indicator. Would you be able to remove all bulbs? And there is a whole lot of wiring inside. I think there would be a risk of short circuit if traces of water are left on electrical connections. It might just work fine but I think there is a risk. Just my views.

Its a fiesta(old), and ive removed the headlamp a lot of times, and have changed the bulbs a few times too.

And now that you mention it, i have just remembered the rotary switch inside the car....
any idea where the motors are located for a fiesta?
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 13:49   #5534
Senior - BHPian
 
sushrutha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chikmagalur/Ban
Posts: 1,701
Thanked: 317 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Its a fiesta(old), and ive removed the headlamp a lot of times, and have changed the bulbs a few times too.

And now that you mention it, i have just remembered the rotary switch inside the car....
any idea where the motors are located for a fiesta?
Motors are attached to the headlamp assembly, it's usually at the backside of the assembly. In some vehicles it can be easily removed (rememeber it's attached to the reflector)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Yes, most definitely - infact thats the reason for the question. IN city I hardly use HL - Street lights are good enough.

Now, my question is -

I'm using 90/100 Halogens [yellow light] in my jeep. Can I use some other bulb like Phillips Nightvision or Osram Night breakers that give me White light?

Is this white light as "white" as the HID? The only down side of Halogens over HID is higher power consumption, but guess I dont have much choice and taking the Bi Xenon route for my Jeep may not make sense for me at this point in time!
Agree. Forget the Projector part if you do most of Highway driving.

Regarding the light.......
This is how the white lights look

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_0460_1.jpg

I have Morimoto 3Five 4300K bulbs in low beam projectors(extreme left & extreme right) and Philips Crystal vision 4300 55W in Highbeam. (so almost both are same colour intensity, but the light colour produced by them are different)
This should give you a rough idea regarding the colour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
Or should I go for 100/130 and add 4 lights on the roof of the vehicle
Go for 100/130 with good ceramic holders and equally good wiring kit if u really want more light on an highway, but for the oncoming vehicle it would be an overkill , if the glare is directly to the oncoming driver.
Should cost you around 1.5K - 2K including a good pair of bulbls + relay + wiring harness

If your budget permits, go for a pair Lightforce 240Blitz (~17.5K - 18K here in BLR), You'll never ever regret it.. until n unless someone steals it (touchwood)
Also it's sold as a single light too.

Last edited by sushrutha : 14th September 2011 at 13:51.
sushrutha is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2011, 18:15   #5535
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,534
Thanked: 418 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Agree. Forget the Projector part if you do most of Highway driving.

Regarding the light.......
This is how the white lights look

Attachment 609350


I have Morimoto 3Five 4300K bulbs in low beam projectors(extreme left & extreme right) and Philips Crystal vision 4300 55W in Highbeam. (so almost both are same colour intensity, but the light colour produced by them are different)
This should give you a rough idea regarding the colour.
Superb - Thanks I really appreciate the effort taken by you to show the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Go for 100/130 with good ceramic holders and equally good wiring kit if u really want more light on an highway, but for the oncoming vehicle it would be an overkill , if the glare is directly to the oncoming driver.
Should cost you around 1.5K - 2K including a good pair of bulbls + relay + wiring harness

If your budget permits, go for a pair Lightforce 240Blitz (~17.5K - 18K here in BLR), You'll never ever regret it.. until n unless someone steals it (touchwood)
Also it's sold as a single light too.
I guess I will just change to Phillips Crystal vision 4300 55W and check how the light throw and spread is before I tweak it further..

I am not for 100/130 stuff as I dont want to be a menace on the highway - I face the idiots almost every other day and would not want to become one

Lightforce 240Blitz is a pair of aux lights is it? Let me check whether someone lets me steal theirs
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11182 3rd December 2016 17:34
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3713 2nd December 2016 19:09
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 71 17th February 2016 10:05
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 77 15th June 2015 13:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:32.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks