Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2011, 18:34   #5581
Senior - BHPian
 
Shubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,780
Thanked: 954 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseldunk View Post
I was planning to have the LED done. phillips 20-LED pack for my Swift

One small question will the LED blue light be blanked out by a 130/100 yellow/white light as the blue color is inferior to yellow/white in the ray spectrum.
When the headlights are on - it sure would blank out the LED blue effect cos 130/100 is a blast when compared to the cooler blue. May be when you are on "parking light" mode - your LED's might show up well.
Shubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st October 2011, 19:53   #5582
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 81
Thanked: Once
Default Front Fog Lamp and Rear Reversign Light Upgrade

I am looking for Fog Lamp suggestions...

Team any idea what will be the best Fog Lamp upgrade for Ritz with

Option 1
Existing stock holder place. I found that the current bulb is H8 and I did not found any H8 bulb reference in the internet. But I doubt I can open the Fog Lamp to replace the bulb. Is this at all possible ? If possible can I have some suggestions ?

Option 2
I have seen many people replacing their Fog Lamps with 55W Bosch / Philips of H3 make. Can I fit a H3 sized Fog Light assembly in the stock place holder of Ritz without cutting the bumber ?


Now my second Question.

I have seen this in trips, that, say I am somewhere where it is totally dark. It is almost impossible to see what is behind while reversing. Is there any light available that I can fix in the behind which can give me atleast 10 ft proper visibility if not more ? If so what are the options I have here ?

Guys Please help me out here. I guess this may just be the same problem with 100s of TBHP members/readers.

Last edited by VictorSinha : 21st October 2011 at 19:55. Reason: A little spelling correction
VictorSinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2011, 00:04   #5583
Senior - BHPian
 
sohail99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,250
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: Front Fog Lamp and Rear Reversign Light Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorSinha View Post
Now my second Question.

I have seen this in trips, that, say I am somewhere where it is totally dark. It is almost impossible to see what is behind while reversing. Is there any light available that I can fix in the behind which can give me atleast 10 ft proper visibility if not more ? If so what are the options I have here ?

Guys Please help me out here. I guess this may just be the same problem with 100s of TBHP members/readers.
Check out my video above! I use a white LED with a projector lens on it in place of my reversing lights and it literally projects a white beam behind to illuminate stuff behind the car!

My stock reversing bulbs used to look like these :

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-reversing-light.png

I replaced them with projector LEDs instead! Now they throw much more focussed and usable cool white light, dont heat up the assembly and lens and consume wayy less power!

Here is a great resource to find what type of bulbs your tail lamp assembly and other lights have - Automotive Bulb Visual Finder
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 11:54   #5584
Newbie
 
gparekh_2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

hey guys, want some suggestions for my Vista headlight mod. want some led & projectors put in it
gparekh_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd October 2011, 13:27   #5585
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hi all,

As a newbie, please excuse if the question is too basic. I want to change the headlamps on my ANHC to improve the visibility especially in the rain. So my basic purpose is brighter (better) light and not the aesthetic value. I had a budget of upto 15,000 in mind for the whole setup. Can some one suggest what options I should consider and also recommend an auto accessory shop in Mumbai best suited for this.
Thanks
Ankit Baveja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 18:04   #5586
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 1.37N 103.92E
Posts: 83
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Hello. Please can someone advise on the approaches below.
Constants:
Car-Cedia
Need-better lighting in fog and rain. I've already changed the stock headlamps to 100/90.
Reason: am planning a drive in north India during December when it would be foggy.

The pros and cons are as perceived. Please do correct if you think otherwise.

Option 1:
OEM or after market fog lamp assembly. Change stock bulbs (fog lamp) to Hellas.
Pros: No cosmetic changes.
Cons: dual items needed. Not sure of effectiveness.

Option 2(a): Dedicated after market fog lamps (Hellas preferably) fixed to front bumper.
Pros: heavy duty, dedicated parts.
Cons: Police trouble, bumper mod. I'm not clear if fixing on bumper will cause issues with crumple zone.

Option 2(b): Same as 2(a) but fix on overhead luggage rack.
Pros: no changes to bumper.
Cons: police trouble, effectiveness. Will have to get a rack as well.

Additional questions. Is it advisable to add aux lights in pairs? Do they have to be the same or can they be different i.e. 1 fog + 1 pencil? This in terms of effectiveness.

Thanks much.
rtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 18:23   #5587
BHPian
 
Tassem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 471
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
Hello. Please can someone advise on the approaches below.
Constants:
Car-Cedia
Need-better lighting in fog and rain. I've already changed the stock headlamps to 100/90.
Reason: am planning a drive in north India during December when it would be foggy.

The pros and cons are as perceived. Please do correct if you think otherwise.

Option 1:
OEM or after market fog lamp assembly. Change stock bulbs (fog lamp) to Hellas.
Pros: No cosmetic changes.
Cons: dual items needed. Not sure of effectiveness.

The OEM Option won't give you much of an edge in thick fog. While they're not totally useless, they will not accomplish what you're after.

Option 2(a): Dedicated after market fog lamps (Hellas preferably) fixed to front bumper.
Pros: heavy duty, dedicated parts.
Cons: Police trouble, bumper mod. I'm not clear if fixing on bumper will cause issues with crumple zone.

Cedia has ready-made bumpers which will accommodate large rally spec lamps. You may want to look into that instead of modifying the existing bumper. Crumple zones should not be affected unless you're planning a bullbar type mount.

Option 2(b): Same as 2(a) but fix on overhead luggage rack.
Pros: no changes to bumper.
Cons: police trouble, effectiveness. Will have to get a rack as well.

Will look fugly! Don't try.

Additional questions. Is it advisable to add aux lights in pairs? Do they have to be the same or can they be different i.e. 1 fog + 1 pencil? This in terms of effectiveness.

You can add them in any combination. Just buy lamps which don't come as pairs and mix and match. Though, the beam pattern from within the car may bother you as one is flood and the other focused.

Thanks much.
I have two suggestions. Get a pair of Hella Micro DE Projectors with 3000k lamps and have it mounted on the bumper. They're small but very effective. The small size makes for easy mounting as well. The kits costs around 5k + bulbs. Make sure you go for 3000k bulbs.

The second option is the least intrusive, but is a pain. Get a pair of 3000k bulbs for your car headlight and install them as and when necessary. No visible changes to the car and very easily reversible. But interchanging the bulbs often will be a major pain.

Last edited by Tassem : 24th October 2011 at 18:24.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 20:31   #5588
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 818
Thanked: 112 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Guys
Do the Hella 500s come with rocker/toggle switch for on/off? Else where can we get high quality single pole toggle/rocker switches of sufficient amp rating?

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 20:54   #5589
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: 1.37N 103.92E
Posts: 83
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem
Cedia has ready-made bumpers which will accommodate large rally spec lamps. You may want to look into that instead of modifying the existing bumper. Crumple zones should not be affected unless you're planning a bullbar type mount.
Thanks Tassem.
Any suggestion on where to source this from? Dealer or speciality shop?
Do you know the price point?

Thanks.
rtandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2011, 20:59   #5590
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,902
Thanked: 2,924 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul
Guys
Do the Hella 500s come with rocker/toggle switch for on/off? Else where can we get high quality single pole toggle/rocker switches of sufficient amp rating?

--Ragul
I got a spring loaded cover one,in faux CF with a flick toggle with an led from ioffer.
I'm using it on my car.
Look for "new/used fiesta" ,last page has the install and pics.
Cost about 300.
It doesn't have any wires itself,but thick connecting pins.you can choose correct load wires.But
it also has an led on top which you can wire up.I chose not to.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 13:52   #5591
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 72
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hello

Need inputs for changing my stock headlights in Safari DICOR GX . I dont want to do any modifications to the assembly or wiring.
The light throw isnt good on highways.

thanks
Keyan
keyank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 17:53   #5592
BHPian
 
D'Artagnan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 261
Thanked: 126 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyank
Hello

Need inputs for changing my stock headlights in Safari DICOR GX . I dont want to do any modifications to the assembly or wiring.
The light throw isnt good on highways.

thanks
Keyan
Hi keyan,
I just came across some bulbs from PIAA they have the same power as a 100/90 but pull in same power 55w. Got to see them on eBay US site. They might just suit your needs.

Just want to add that it is the company that make these claims. :-)
D'Artagnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 19:42   #5593
BHPian
 
Speed.Demon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kochi/Manama
Posts: 191
Thanked: 167 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hey guys,

I am planning to add a pair of DRLs for my waggie sometime tomorrow. They are Philips branded, and the dealer say they cost around 1.5k/m. Is this the real deal?
A friend of mine said that he had installed cheaper LED DRLs in his car(not Philips) and water found its way into the light assembly during the monsoons, which led to a few of the LEDs not working.
Will this happen to all aftermarket DRLs? Or was it because my friend bought the cheaper alternative? Please advice, as you know it rains a lot here in kerala, and I don't want to end up with a LED strip where only half the lights work.
Speed.Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 23:46   #5594
BHPian
 
Tassem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 471
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
Thanks Tassem.
Any suggestion on where to source this from? Dealer or speciality shop?
Do you know the price point?

Thanks.
I'm not sure where you can source it. I've just seen one on the roads and it looked quite good.

Easiest option would be to get a used bumper, refurbish it, and modify it to accommodate the lamps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
Hey guys,

I am planning to add a pair of DRLs for my waggie sometime tomorrow. They are Philips branded, and the dealer say they cost around 1.5k/m. Is this the real deal?
A friend of mine said that he had installed cheaper LED DRLs in his car(not Philips) and water found its way into the light assembly during the monsoons, which led to a few of the LEDs not working.
Will this happen to all aftermarket DRLs? Or was it because my friend bought the cheaper alternative? Please advice, as you know it rains a lot here in kerala, and I don't want to end up with a LED strip where only half the lights work.
Well the dealer is referring to the type of LED Strips that come in rolls since he's talking about cost in metres. IMHO these look cheap irrespective of the manufacturer and are best used for internal lighting rather than as DRLs.

Look around for DRL units instead and opt for a good quality one. The Philips DRL Kit is expensive. But you can find good quality chinese ones for 1.5-3k which offer equivalent brightness with good build quality. Avoid the flimsy ones with bad finishing.

Last edited by Tassem : 25th October 2011 at 23:49.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th October 2011, 23:55   #5595
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 921
Thanked: 340 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Tried searching the forum for options but could not find any specific answers.

Here's my simple question :-

1. I want to upgrade my Punto's lights. What are my options?

NOTE: Not interested in going the HID way. Coz I don't want to kill the people coming in the oncoming direction!
praful is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11182 3rd December 2016 17:34
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3713 2nd December 2016 19:09
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 71 17th February 2016 10:05
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 77 15th June 2015 13:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:56.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks