Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2012, 11:09   #5776
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Kollam, Kerala
Posts: 233
Thanked: 107 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
i bought projectors for my linea. but the main issue is the headlight glass of linea is sealed with permaglue type sealant which does not melt upon heating.

does anyone know how to open these kind of headlight glasses apart
If the permaglue is rigid, you should be able to cut through with a Dremel fitted with a cutting wheel. The cutting wheel wont work if the glue is gooey. You may have to make a wooden jig to hold the headlamp assembly steady while working on it.

While I have worked on headlights & plastics, I have not come across these new headlight glues yet.
basky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2012, 14:31   #5777
BHPian
 
praful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 919
Thanked: 339 Times
Default Re: Linea headlight upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Going for a higher wattage bulb and ceramic holders + relay would definitely void the warranty on a two year old Punto [with extended warranty] right ?

Contemplating putting just the 90/100 bulbs on the Punto!
Quick update:

Got Phillips Rally 90/100 bulbs along with a wiring harness with ceramic holders.

The Lo beam has only marginally improved, but the high beam is just fantastic now!

Lighting is so much better now! Much recommended upgrade for the Punto, especially if one drives around a lot at night.
praful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 14:40   #5778
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Could someone help me with this
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2645090

I posted it there and then realised that it would be better to post here. Mods. Please shift post from my thread if required.

I want lights that can be used as driving lights on highways at night. Want them to be as compact as possible at a budget around 7K
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 15:17   #5779
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,637
Thanked: 3,050 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I may be on the lookout for H11 HID kits (2700K) for the fog lamps of my Civic. Where can I get them along with the looms so that there is no cutting involved, and what will be the approximate cost. I will like to ensure that the ballasts are of top quality.

Why the fogs, some places are cracking down on HID headlamps (Goa, Bangalore, etc.) so HID in fogs is far safer.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 18:11   #5780
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NA
Posts: 220
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Higher wattage bulbs would cost around 1k-1.2k. I have personally used 90/100w Osram bulbs before getting projectors. I can say that the higher wattage bulbs perform much better than the stock headlights. I changed my bulbs as soon as I got the car since I wasnt impressed with the stock lights.

HID's as DRLs? HIDs will be a lot brighter when compared to DRLs. If you looking for looks go for HID's else stick with stock fogs. Cost depends on the wattage. Not sure how much it will come to. Maybe few hundred bucks. Please check on that because am not sure about the fog bulb configuration.
Hi Naveen,
I really dont want to use any relay on my vento but i want to upgrade the headlight bulbs to philips rally vision 100/90.
my night driving is very less (but still wants to upgrade bulbs).
what are the chances of damage? appreciate your feedback.
Nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 20:42   #5781
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,543
Thanked: 2,534 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky View Post
Hi Naveen,
I really dont want to use any relay on my vento but i want to upgrade the headlight bulbs to philips rally vision 100/90.
my night driving is very less (but still wants to upgrade bulbs).
what are the chances of damage? appreciate your feedback.
Without relays? I dont think that would be a great idea. Even when using relays, I have seen many of friends car's headlight smoked. I wouldnt recommend using higher wattage bulbs without relays. If you dont want relays upgrade to a better brand of the same wattage. A slight improvement can be expected. Any particular reason for not going for relays? Scared whether it will void the warranty? Then not to worry. It wont do any harm as long as you dont cut the wires.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 21:09   #5782
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,922 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky

Hi Naveen,
I really dont want to use any relay on my vento but i want to upgrade the headlight bulbs to philips rally vision 100/90.
my night driving is very less (but still wants to upgrade bulbs).
what are the chances of damage? appreciate your feedback.
You could buy same wattage but a lower temperature set.
But like naveen asked ,why not a relay change?
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 19:30   #5783
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LAX-SNA-BFL-BLR
Posts: 319
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Guys, my friend with a Ford Figo is looking for a good HID/Xenons kit. Where can he get one in Bangalore? I was thinking JC road but im afraid if we went down there without prior knowledge we would end up with a fake or substandard quality kit.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 20:16   #5784
BHPian
 
devenashani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 34
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza
Guys, my friend with a Ford Figo is looking for a good HID/Xenons kit. Where can he get one in Bangalore? I was thinking JC road but im afraid if we went down there without prior knowledge we would end up with a fake or substandard quality kit.
HID in reflectors is not a good idea, if you want HID then go for proper projector setup. Else use relay and wiring kit for higher ratings bulbs.

Drive safely and think about oncoming traffic.
devenashani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 09:49   #5785
BHPian
 
triedeverything's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 492
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
I'm currently using 100/90 Philips bulbs with a relay. I'd like to go back to using OE bulbs. Can I just replace the bulbs or will I have to take out the relay as well? What is the impact of using the OE bulbs with the relay?

I'm also looking at adding additional lights, preferably HID. I'm looking at lighting up the area between the low beam and the high beam. At high speeds, the low beam doesn't throw enough light to see what lies ahead. The high beam is good but it affects oncoming traffic. I like the Lightforce lights but their HIDs are very prohibitively expensive. I don't mind spending up to 20k. Does Hella have HIDs?

I've seen a lot of mods where the OE headlights of various cars have been fitted with projectors. Has anyone tried this with additional lights? E.g. Source a Lightforce 170 or 240 and then add projectors and HIDs?
Disappointed that there's no response from such a learned crowd.
Anyway, I found ebay australia sells kits like these - eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d
Does anyone have any experience with buying or installing these?
I also talked to the IRONMAN dealer in Bangalore and he said that the IRONMAN 220 VEGA - was similarly rated to the Lightforce 240 blitz (halogen). He also said that there was a rebate available on the product which is now selling at 16.5 k. He said the lights are brilliant with an awesome throw. The only difference he said is that the IRONMAN can't be adjusted like the Lightforce. (The Lightforce lights have a mechanism where the same beam can be adjusted from good spread to good throw.) I'm looking at the right balance between throw and spread. Anyone have any experience with this product? Maybe I can buy the IRONMAN now and look for HID kits that can be installed later thus splitting up the investments? Thoughts?
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 10:27   #5786
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,899
Thanked: 2,922 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
Disappointed that there's no response from such a learned crowd.
Anyway, I found ebay australia sells kits like these - eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d
Does anyone have any experience with buying or installing these?
I also talked to the IRONMAN dealer in Bangalore and he said that the IRONMAN 220 VEGA - was similarly rated to the Lightforce 240 blitz (halogen). He also said that there was a rebate available on the product which is now selling at 16.5 k. He said the lights are brilliant with an awesome throw. The only difference he said is that the IRONMAN can't be adjusted like the Lightforce. (The Lightforce lights have a mechanism where the same beam can be adjusted from good spread to good throw.) I'm looking at the right balance between throw and spread. Anyone have any experience with this product? Maybe I can buy the IRONMAN now and look for HID kits that can be installed later thus splitting up the investments? Thoughts?
As far as i can figure, you dont need to change the relays.
For 20k, probably under, you could get a projector setup, aftermarket, and then decide if you want hids or filaments in them.

Edit: error in the quote, I was quoting your previous post you quoted in the post before mine.
slightly dazed.

Last edited by mayankk : 16th January 2012 at 10:28.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 13:30   #5787
BHPian
 
triedeverything's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 492
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

When you say projector setup, I think you mean modifying the headlights right? That's something I don't want to do. There are a couple of reasons why. Primarily, because the HID beam takes a while to turn on... thus you lose the ability to use the dipper (in the day) if you change your primary lights to HID. Of course, once the lights are on, this should not be an issue.

In the case of additional lights, they can be turned on (only) when necessary. Thus, don't have to fear harassment from the cops.

Last edited by triedeverything : 16th January 2012 at 13:32.
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 13:43   #5788
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,543
Thanked: 2,534 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
When you say projector setup, I think you mean modifying the headlights right? That's something I don't want to do. There are a couple of reasons why. Primarily, because the HID beam takes a while to turn on... thus you lose the ability to use the dipper (in the day) if you change your primary lights to HID. Of course, once the lights are on, this should not be an issue.

In the case of additional lights, they can be turned on (only) when necessary. Thus, don't have to fear harassment from the cops.
Although HID's take time to warm up, it wouldnt be an issue while flashing during daytime. If you plan to go for projectors, you will need HID's. Using halogens in projectors wont be a good idea. I tried this and the output isnt great.
You will get Hella HID's but commonly preferred ones are Philips, Osram, P8, Auto Gauge.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 14:17   #5789
BHPian
 
triedeverything's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 492
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Although HID's take time to warm up, it wouldnt be an issue while flashing during daytime. If you plan to go for projectors, you will need HID's. Using halogens in projectors wont be a good idea. I tried this and the output isnt great.
You will get Hella HID's but commonly preferred ones are Philips, Osram, P8, Auto Gauge.
I'm not planning to use halogens in projectors. I don't want to touch my headlights. I'm looking for additional lights that can be mounted on the bumper or using brackets.
Could you suggest specifics when it comes to Hella/philips?

This is what I'm targeting for now (halogen) - Ironman 4x4 Vega 220.

It uses H1 bulbs. I'm thinking I can source good HID H1 bulbs online. But I haven't seen anyone fit projectors to additional lights.

So the question really is does Hella/Philips and any other branded manufacturer sell ADDITIONAL/AUXILIARY lights like those being made by Lightforce or Ironman? They need to come with HID AND projectors.

I just took another look at the pictures on their respective websites and noticed that neither of these lights (Ironman nor Lightforce) shows the use of a lens in the images for their HID lights so that makes these light just the same as using a HID without projectors right?

The other worry is that search results for lightforce hid kit throws up many search results... but ironman hid kit get zilch :( So what is the difference? Will I not be able to replace the bulb for a hid bulb in the case of Ironman?

Last edited by triedeverything : 16th January 2012 at 14:25.
triedeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 14:47   #5790
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,543
Thanked: 2,534 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
I'm not planning to use halogens in projectors. I don't want to touch my headlights. I'm looking for additional lights that can be mounted on the bumper or using brackets.
Could you suggest specifics when it comes to Hella/philips?

This is what I'm targeting for now (halogen) - Ironman 4x4 Vega 220.

It uses H1 bulbs. I'm thinking I can source good HID H1 bulbs online. But I haven't seen anyone fit projectors to additional lights.

So the question really is does Hella/Philips and any other branded manufacturer sell ADDITIONAL/AUXILIARY lights like those being made by Lightforce or Ironman? They need to come with HID AND projectors.

I just took another look at the pictures on their respective websites and noticed that neither of these lights (Ironman nor Lightforce) shows the use of a lens in the images for their HID lights so that makes these light just the same as using a HID without projectors right?

The other worry is that search results for lightforce hid kit throws up many search results... but ironman hid kit get zilch :( So what is the difference? Will I not be able to replace the bulb for a hid bulb in the case of Ironman?
It's always best not to retrofit projectors onto the existing headlights. Always better to go for readymade kits.
Aux lights wont have projectors. You will be able to fit HID's and other brands on to Ironman (atleast from the looks).
Hella got aux lights too. I mostly see Hella/Lightforce aux in many cars here.

For inspiration see these videos






Last edited by Rehaan : 17th January 2012 at 11:36. Reason: Fixing youtube links. Just paste them as-is, no need to put them in tags. Thanks.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11182 3rd December 2016 17:34
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3713 2nd December 2016 19:09
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 71 17th February 2016 10:05
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 77 15th June 2015 13:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 11:41.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks