Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 18:50   #5986
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,454
Thanked: 932 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hi fellow bhpians,
Wanted to share this with you all. Finally changed the old yellow light to white light with Philips Essential Vision H4 100/90W for headlamps, Philips Blue Vision W5W 4000K 5W for parking light & rear number plate and Philips Blue Vision HB4 9006 4000K 55W for fog lamps.

All done by myself D.i.Y. No problems or bulb out error. Now the car gets more attention on road and I'm loving it.

Do have a look and let me know your thoughts.
The Transformation from yellow light to white light.

Hope you all like it.

Another question to Automotive Lighting experts as I have changed the fog lamps from 51W to 55W will it cause any problems with increase of 4W?
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 23:10   #5987
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 139
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
I drive an Etios VD. I find the current headlamps a little too weak,especially on highways. I plan to upgrade to 100/90 bulbs. This is the quote that I got:-
Roots wiring harness - Rs.590.00
Roots relay 12V - Rs. 175.00
Lispart Halogen Bulbs 100/90 - Rs.85*2 = 170.00
Labour - 150.00

Total - Rs.1085.00

Has anybody installed Lispart bulbs on their cars? Is it reliable? I spoke to the owner of this shop & he seemed quite a imformed fellow. He quoted Philips 100/90 @ Rs.300 a pair.

So what do I go for - Lispart or Philips?

Will the warranty nullify with this installation? Do advice.

Regards,
Varun

Price seems to be fair , Lispart i have not heard. You will get Osram 90/100 which is good a pair cost me Rs 140 . The MRP per piece was Rs 110. Bought it from a whole sale dealer @ Cochin for my OHC last week. One of my phillips got fused.
I have Phillips on one and Osram on the other both has same light . Apparently the cost of Phillips is too high may be becasue of the brand . Duraability i need to check .
vinu_pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 23:47   #5988
BHPian
 
sandy82_2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 49
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

All,

Just got new set of hooters for my red rascal figo... 100/135 philips essential vision.. had to get ceramic holders and a whole kit for the same. Love my ride now!
sandy82_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 07:59   #5989
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,817
Thanked: 2,931 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
.. I have changed the fog lamps from 51W to 55W will it cause any problems with increase of 4W?
51W is non-standard. Are you sure you had 51W fog lamps ? Pls check again.
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 12:29   #5990
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,454
Thanked: 932 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
51W is non-standard. Are you sure you had 51W fog lamps ? Pls check again.
Yeah just checked it's 12V 51W. Will the extra 4W cause any heating issues.?
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 12:47   #5991
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,525
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061

Yeah just checked it's 12V 51W. Will the extra 4W cause any heating issues.?
51w is on a higher side for fog lamp.it will be almost as bright as the head lamp. 4 watts won't affect the wiring. No problem
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 14:08   #5992
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,638
Thanked: 3,056 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

My Civic specifies 55W, so no big deal. Within manufacturing tolerances 51 and 55 are the same.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 14:26   #5993
Senior - BHPian
 
el lobo 6061's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,454
Thanked: 932 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
51w is on a higher side for fog lamp.it will be almost as bright as the head lamp. 4 watts won't affect the wiring. No problem
The stock fog lamps of Vento are Sylvania HB4 9006 51W. As I changed over to Philips Blue Vision 4000K 55W it is quite bright. The casing gets quite hot, but no problems as yet and hope it stays that way.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 20:09   #5994
BHPian
 
ssh1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 395
Thanked: 106 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

A bit of background: I changed to HIDs a few months after purchase. I went in for the P8 Bi-Xenon. 35W, color temperature 6000-8000K. It looked bling. I loved the blue haze it threw on the road. I thought, hell yeah!

And then it all came crashing down. I turned into a coward from what I once was: an ever confident night time driver. My once frequent trips of ~550 kms one way dropped in number. On a recent trip which I HAD to make since it was a case of death of a family member (where speed was of utmost importance), it left me thanking heavens for returning me safely back home.

THEY ABSOLUTELY ARE HORRENDOUS. I'm ashamed to call them "lights". On the highways, the visibility was even lower than my stock headlamps.

Lesson learnt. The hard way. 13K rupees and ~2500 kms of frightened driving later. God why did I ever do this?! Mistakes:
  • Going in for HIDs
  • Going in for > 4300K
  • Going in for HIDs on stock reflectors
Forget rains or fogs. Anyone who regularly does night driving and if you drive on holiday trips and getaways on un-familiar roads, my humble suggestion is to not fall for bling over safety. They maybe cool within the city, but they are just like an emergency lamps' light on the dark, non-lighted highways (NH, SH and ordinary roads).

Then, started my restoration project: restoration of my confidence and proper highway lighting. I have finally arrived at a set of requirements and I think I am overdoing it. Since I refuse to listen to myself now, I thought I'd put this to the team here and let them thrash or appreciate the idea.

Current: 35W Bi-xenon for head lamps and fog, complete with ballast and relays. Stock reflectors.

Proposed (received quote from a garage):
  • 2 x 100/90 bulbs for headlamps with wiring kit and ceramic holders: bulbs from Hella and wiring kit/holder locally made. Rs. 1500.
  • 2 x Hella Rallye 3003 auxiliary lights: 12V/24V and they come with 55W, but I'd want to upgrade to 100W. Wiring kit/relays. Rs. 8000.
  • 2 x stock specification fog lamps (might use the ones they replaced originally).
  • Labour + clamp fixing charges: Rs. 1000.
Any advice or opinions, please?

* The above criticism is from my own experience only and I have nothing against HIDs in general. Just that they didn't work for me. So please, don't jump on my back for that! Also, I did check Phillips 6000K HIDs + projector modification before going in for P8. The Phillips + projector combo would have set me back by 50K

EDIT: vehicle: Ford Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT, 2011 model

Last edited by ssh1979 : 7th March 2012 at 20:11. Reason: mentioned vehicle make
ssh1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 21:03   #5995
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,525
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssh1979
A bit of background: I changed to HIDs a few months after purchase. I went in for the P8 Bi-Xenon. 35W, color temperature 6000-8000K. It looked bling. I loved the blue haze it threw on the road. I thought, hell yeah!

And then it all came crashing down. I turned into a coward from what I once was: an ever confident night time driver. My once frequent trips of ~550 kms one way dropped in number. On a recent trip which I HAD to make since it was a case of death of a family member (where speed was of utmost importance), it left me thanking heavens for returning me safely back home.

THEY ABSOLUTELY ARE HORRENDOUS. I'm ashamed to call them "lights". On the highways, the visibility was even lower than my stock headlamps.

Lesson learnt. The hard way. 13K rupees and ~2500 kms of frightened driving later. God why did I ever do this?! Mistakes:
[*] Going in for HIDs[*] Going in for > 4300K[*] Going in for HIDs on stock reflectors

Forget rains or fogs. Anyone who regularly does night driving and if you drive on holiday trips and getaways on un-familiar roads, my humble suggestion is to not fall for bling over safety. They maybe cool within the city, but they are just like an emergency lamps' light on the dark, non-lighted highways (NH, SH and ordinary roads).

Then, started my restoration project: restoration of my confidence and proper highway lighting. I have finally arrived at a set of requirements and I think I am overdoing it. Since I refuse to listen to myself now, I thought I'd put this to the team here and let them thrash or appreciate the idea.

Current: 35W Bi-xenon for head lamps and fog, complete with ballast and relays. Stock reflectors.

Proposed (received quote from a garage):
[*]2 x 100/90 bulbs for headlamps with wiring kit and ceramic holders: bulbs from Hella and wiring kit/holder locally made. Rs. 1500.

[*]2 x Hella Rallye 3003 auxiliary lights: 12V/24V and they come with 55W, but I'd want to upgrade to 100W. Wiring kit/relays. Rs. 8000.


[*]2 x stock specification fog lamps (might use the ones they replaced originally).


[*]Labour + clamp fixing charges: Rs. 1000.


Any advice or opinions, please?

* The above criticism is from my own experience only and I have nothing against HIDs in general. Just that they didn't work for me. So please, don't jump on my back for that! Also, I did check Phillips 6000K HIDs + projector modification before going in for P8. The Phillips + projector combo would have set me back by 50K

EDIT: vehicle: Ford Endeavour 3.0 4x4 AT, 2011 model


Basically its the color temperature where you went wrong. Had you put 4300k you would have loved the lighting on the highways. Trust me. Anything over this color temperature is waste. My suggestion would be to put HID in fog lamps and higher watt bulb in the main lamps.
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 22:05   #5996
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 660
Thanked: 135 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

ssh1979 - I have been running a genuine Philips HID conversion kit in both my Swift & Honda city from the last few years without any problems whatsoever.

The kit is the 6000 K & though it is whiter i have no issues. Even driving in pouring rain on unlit highways. Guess its more of a personal choice between whether one is comfortable with 4300 or 6000K. If you are in Blore, you are welcome to come & take a look

And this is in the stock reflectors !

Guess where it went wrong with you was the choice of the make only. I would suggest selling off the kit & get yourself a genuine Philips kit. Its easily available too.
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 22:45   #5997
BHPian
 
Kimified's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 231
Thanked: 65 Times
Talking Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Guys. I need some help. I am a complete noob when it comes to auto lighting.

I had replaced the stock bulbs with 100/90 Philips rally bulbs and added a relay in my i20 sometime back. I think its been more than a year since i did this. I recently noticed that the right side light throw had significantly reduced compared to the left side. So, I just the checked the headlights and was shocked to see this. Can someone please tell me what has gone wrong ? What do i need to do now ?

This is my right side headlight. Notice the black border , I guess that is due to over heating

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_1509.jpg

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_1511.jpg

And, this is the left headlight for reference. This one looks clean.

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img_1510.jpg

Also, although the 100/90 do a very good job on the highways, I would like to have something more. What more can i add to the current setup so that it would help highway driving. Thanks in advance.
Kimified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 00:06   #5998
SAS
BHPian
 
SAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 280
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimified View Post
Guys. I need some help. I am a complete noob when it comes to auto lighting.

I had replaced the stock bulbs with 100/90 Philips rally bulbs and added a relay in my i20 sometime back. I think its been more than a year since i did this. I recently noticed that the right side light throw had significantly reduced compared to the left side. So, I just the checked the headlights and was shocked to see this. Can someone please tell me what has gone wrong ? What do i need to do now ?

This is my right side headlight. Notice the black border , I guess that is due to over heating

Attachment 899058

Attachment 899060

And, this is the left headlight for reference. This one looks clean.

Attachment 899059

Also, although the 100/90 do a very good job on the highways, I would like to have something more. What more can i add to the current setup so that it would help highway driving. Thanks in advance.
Check the relay. The relay circuit is not working. This happened to my setup as well. Had to change the relays since it was over 3 years since I originally installed the roots relays.
SAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 01:26   #5999
BANNED
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 405
Thanked: 415 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
instead of what you did in pic 2 you could have done this so that the first contact point in case of minor bumps, the rod would hit first in stead of the light's glass.

hey i am not photoshop expert i just did the best i could with paint just to make a point. hope this helps you, since you put the efforts to get a fabricate a bracket and pipe for the fog lamp.

i guess you can have your fabricator do this, all he would need to do is remove the bracket welds he did now and re-weld them a little behind the pipe.
I understood your point and I remember once discussing this with the fabricator as well. but he missed this design part and when finally I got the delivery I didnt push further and got it fitted elsewhere since he had shortage of labor. actually, even in the other two brackets in middle (future provision), he has put the brackets facing downwards - which means the light would be fitted facing sky (or road!) - would later get a "L" bracket to solve whenever I fit the next set ! frankly speaking, I would live with it, rather than keep again chasing the guy for these changes. thanks for your PS efforts.
pcpranav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2012, 02:20   #6000
Senior - BHPian
 
rider60's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bhagyanagaram. (A.K.A. Hyderabad)
Posts: 1,619
Thanked: 47 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
I understood your point and I remember once discussing this with the fabricator as well. but he missed this design part and when finally I got the delivery I didnt push further and got it fitted elsewhere since he had shortage of labor. actually, even in the other two brackets in middle (future provision), he has put the brackets facing downwards - which means the light would be fitted facing sky (or road!) - would later get a "L" bracket to solve whenever I fit the next set ! frankly speaking, I would live with it, rather than keep again chasing the guy for these changes. thanks for your PS efforts.

i understand the pain and trouble one goes through to get a job like this done from veteran works-men instead of professional. i see the bracket you have is already nickel coated, so this time go to an arc-welding shop ask them to cut it and weld it the other way, and this should be done in an hour max.
[I am guessing the nickel coating part was the one that consumed a lot of time.]
after the weld you can just paint that welded part alone with an anti-rust coat and a silver or black or a color of your choice coat over the welded part just for long term.

if i were you i would do this when i find time.


And as per my fogs on the swift this is the progress so far, nothing final yet!

thoughts, suggetions and comments are welcome, there is a final piece of pipe that is going to be added too later on so the first point of contact would be the pipe instead of the lamps.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20120303_173712-bhp.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-20120304_144357-bhp.jpg  

rider60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11182 3rd December 2016 17:34
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3713 2nd December 2016 19:09
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 71 17th February 2016 10:05
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 77 15th June 2015 13:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:33.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks