Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2012, 14:48   #6211
BHPian
 
swarnava.m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai/Margao
Posts: 631
Thanked: 252 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hey guys need some input here. I want to change my i20's headlamp bulbs. I have been running on stock lamps for the past 13 months and the low beam is a real pain. So I always drive with High beam. Anyway I really had my heart set for white lights as it does look good on white cars but there is a problem. Actually there are 2 problems:

1) I have fog lamps and then I have to change them too. Car accessories shop claims that only Chinese bulbs are available for white fog lamps. So reliablity is a problem. THen again the stock fog lamps are pretty decent and I dont want to change them.

2) I am really not sure if the visibility will improve if I install white lights.

Now after some research I have short listed 3 different bulbs:

1) Philips Extreme vision (Yellow light)

2) Philips Crystal vision( White Light)

3) Osram Night Breakers(Yellow light)

I have read enough good reviews about the philips extreme vision so that is a safe choice. But then one of the reputed shops here (GLIX, quoted 1200 a pair) claimed that the is no warranty on Philips lamps. Is it true??? Because there was another shop which claimed that Philips bulbs have 1 year warranty but they quoted 1450 a pair. Isn't that expensive ?

Now the "Osram" part of the story. The shop which quoted 1450 for the Xtreme vision spoke highly about the Osram Night Breakers. Claimed that it is in a completely different league and blah blah. THey qouted 1250 a pair for the OSRAM but but when they showed me the lamps I noticed that they were FEB 2009 manufactured and the bulbs were not in good shape. Did not look encouraging. So what should I do? I am confused. HELP!!
Stay away from OSRAM. A lot of people have reported unsatisfactory improvement over stock lighting, or bulbs going kaput soon. Is the retailer giving you any warranty??

As for Philips bulbs, they are definitely good. No doubt. Regarding the choice between Extreme Vision & Crystal Vision, if the Extreme is 60/55 with +100%, then there will not really be marked improvement in lighting.

The crystal vision ones, with 100/90, must be installed with a relay, and are really good. The throw improves a lot. It cost be about 1.3k odd, with a Lumax relay. I will post a pic later, to demonstrate..
swarnava.m is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 15:00   #6212
Senior - BHPian
 
sameerg001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dwarka, Delhi
Posts: 1,499
Thanked: 416 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Hey guys need some input here. I want to change my i20's headlamp bulbs. I have been running on stock lamps for the past 13 mo....................................1250 a pair for the OSRAM but but when they showed me the lamps I noticed that they were FEB 2009 manufactured and the bulbs were not in good shape. Did not look encouraging. So what should I do? I am confused. HELP!!
Just read the below mentioned link, Your all queries will be solved.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ce-done-5.html

Cheers
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 16:27   #6213
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 816
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Stay away from OSRAM. A lot of people have reported unsatisfactory improvement over stock lighting, or bulbs going kaput soon. Is the retailer giving you any warranty??

As for Philips bulbs, they are definitely good. No doubt. Regarding the choice between Extreme Vision & Crystal Vision, if the Extreme is 60/55 with +100%, then there will not really be marked improvement in lighting.

The crystal vision ones, with 100/90, must be installed with a relay, and are really good. The throw improves a lot. It cost be about 1.3k odd, with a Lumax relay. I will post a pic later, to demonstrate..
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Just read the below mentioned link, Your all queries will be solved.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ce-done-5.html

Cheers
Sameer
I read the posts. Thanks a lot but can you give me an idea how much would the relay and everything cost me if I convert the 55/60 to 90/100.

P.S: I dont think I can go for white lights because Philips actually dont make fog lamp bulbs for i20.

Last edited by Pancham : 30th June 2012 at 16:30.
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 17:28   #6214
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 2,588
Thanked: 2,936 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I am not sure if you could do that on an i20 in a straight forward manner, because the headlamp assembly have a plastic cover behind the light holder. The stock holder is integrated into the assembly. Incase of some other vehicles, these is just a rubber cover. In order to use the wiring kit and ceramic holders, you either have to permanently remove the cover or drill holes to make way for the new wires. If you remove the cover, dust and moisture can get accumulated inside the headlamps. The relay will cost around 200-300, the wiring kit costs max 800.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 17:46   #6215
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 816
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I am not sure if you could do that on an i20 in a straight forward manner, because the headlamp assembly have a plastic cover behind the light holder. The stock holder is integrated into the assembly. Incase of some other vehicles, these is just a rubber cover. In order to use the wiring kit and ceramic holders, you either have to permanently remove the cover or drill holes to make way for the new wires. If you remove the cover, dust and moisture can get accumulated inside the headlamps. The relay will cost around 200-300, the wiring kit costs max 800.
Does that mean warranty gone???
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 18:01   #6216
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 2,588
Thanked: 2,936 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Yes if you drill through the cover then it is a permanent action. In the vento thread, the back cover is made of rubber. Same is the setup in my sx4 too. So even if you want to revert back in case of any issue, the setup will look untouched. My neighbour removed the plastic cover in order to make way for the ceramic holder. After a year, his headlamp assemblies are now full of dust. So he had to get them cleaned by opening the headlamps. Just wanted to give you an idea of how things are done. The shopkeeper had told him that there is no issue in leaving the cover open, which he realised now. Also, while trying to push the holder ontot he bulb, do not use excessive pressure as the headlamp levelling system has chances of getting damaged. When you force the holder, you are forcing the entire reflector setup which tilts up and down and this can get damaged by force.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 18:37   #6217
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 816
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Yes if you drill through the cover then it is a permanent action. In the vento thread, the back cover is made of rubber. Same is the setup in my sx4 too. So even if you want to revert back in case of any issue, the setup will look untouched. My neighbour removed the plastic cover in order to make way for the ceramic holder. After a year, his headlamp assemblies are now full of dust. So he had to get them cleaned by opening the headlamps. Just wanted to give you an idea of how things are done. The shopkeeper had told him that there is no issue in leaving the cover open, which he realised now. Also, while trying to push the holder ontot he bulb, do not use excessive pressure as the headlamp levelling system has chances of getting damaged. When you force the holder, you are forcing the entire reflector setup which tilts up and down and this can get damaged by force.
And that means I will only have to go for 55/60W bulbs (since I care for warranty)???
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 19:42   #6218
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,523
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham
And that means I will only have to go for 55/60W bulbs (since I care for warranty)???
Go for Philips extreme vision . Stock wattage . Excellent improvement over stock. You won't be disappointed.

Don't bother about relay and ceramic holder since you have to drill into the headlanp assembly and warranty gone
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 20:15   #6219
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 816
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Go for Philips extreme vision . Stock wattage . Excellent improvement over stock. You won't be disappointed.

Don't bother about relay and ceramic holder since you have to drill into the headlanp assembly and warranty gone
Arre yes. I was thinking of going for xtreme vision as I am not left with any other option. My heart still says White lights but may be next time. I just dont want to trade off my stock fogs for cheap Chinese ones. Any idea on the current market price of Xtreme vision. I was quoted 1200 a pair and 1450 a pair in two different shops.
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 20:22   #6220
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,523
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham

Arre yes. I was thinking of going for xtreme vision as I am not left with any other option. My heart still says White lights but may be next time. I just dont want to trade off my stock fogs for cheap Chinese ones. Any idea on the current market price of Xtreme vision. I was quoted 1200 a pair and 1450 a pair in two different shops.
It costs 600 for a single bulb so if a pack contains a pair it must be less than 1200 bucks.
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 20:50   #6221
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 816
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
It costs 600 for a single bulb so if a pack contains a pair it must be less than 1200 bucks.
None of the dealers I have checked are willing to go below 1200. I will visit some more shops tomorrow. BTW have you replaced your stock lamps with Xtreme vision??
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 20:53   #6222
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,523
Thanked: 1,133 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham

None of the dealers I have checked are willing to go below 1200. I will visit some more shops tomorrow. BTW have you replaced your stock lamps with Xtreme vision??
Mine is extreme power. The younger sibling of vision. Very happy with low beam. Not so happy with high beam. Its kind of diffused
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2012, 23:34   #6223
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 816
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

So its H27 bulbs for i20 fog lamps. Does anyone have any idea about any white lights which are H27 types? Damn I am being desperate to give my ride a pair of white eyes.
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 10:00   #6224
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 2,588
Thanked: 2,936 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Phillips has H27 in offer but they are the normal yellow type. There is no H27 under crystal vision, blue vision or diamond vision. I doubt osram has too, as its difficult to get the entire range of osram products here except for those Nightbreakers and the common types. H27 AFAIK is used by hyundai only so you will have to look at Chinese brands if you are looking for white bulbs.

Also, if you want more light, then white is not the colour you must look for.
audioholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2012, 10:16   #6225
BHPian
 
Pancham's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 816
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic

Also, if you want more light, then white is not the colour you must look for.
I am definitely looking for more light so I guess I will just stick to xtreme vision for now.
Pancham is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11182 3rd December 2016 17:34
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3713 2nd December 2016 19:09
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 71 17th February 2016 10:05
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 77 15th June 2015 13:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:24.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks