Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2012, 11:48   #6256
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 2,590
Thanked: 2,941 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

For the 100/90 bulbs, I would recommend either Philips rally or Hella. They both are imported bulbs and just make sure you get the genuine ones. For the wiring harness, you get various brands in the market. There is Lumax, Minda, Lucas-TVS, and even a philips kit which I had seen in reliance autozone, Basavangudi. Keep a spare relay in case the one with the kit turns out to be faulty. I had got a sticky relay along with a 'Super' brand wiring kit. The cost of the headlight upgrade alone will come up to 1k. Not sure about the other lights.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 11:52   #6257
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 3,903
Thanked: 2,925 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

can somebody recommend a good installer/fixer for HID's in south/central delhi?
Also, how good are filaments in projectors?
The guy who installed my projectors did a fair job, but the way he installed the HIDs is pathetic.
tape all around.

I'm assuming with filaments, I could get rid of the ballast and the mess left.
mayankk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 17:30   #6258
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 155
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

today went in searching of headlight bulbs for my friend's swift. He was particular about Osram or Phillips (100/90 or 100/80 etc i.e higher wattage). Visited authorised Disti Reliance Auto & AK Traders JC Rd, B'lore. Bulbs were available but all these are though original manufactured in China. He wants bulbs 'Made in Germany'. Where in B'lore these are availble? Any inputs pls?
If not in B'lore other of India also Ok. Checked in e-bay, there too flooded with Chinese makes. Pls offer your inputs.

thanks
ALSUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 17:55   #6259
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 2,538 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
If not in B'lore other of India also Ok. Checked in e-bay, there too flooded with Chinese makes. Pls offer your inputs.

thanks
Here are some shops taken from the net.
1) Methods Automotive
City: Bangalore
Address: No - 30/1, Rear Block, 7th Cross, Lavelle road - 560001
Phone: 91 80 22217879
Email: kk@methods.co.in

2) Chawla Motors
City: Bangalore
Address: No - 19, 3rd Cross, J.C.Road - 560002
Phone: 91 80 26708097
Email: sandeepchawla1@yahoo.co.in

Just give it a shot.
naveen.raju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 18:05   #6260
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 155
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Thanks Naveen, I'll ask him to try there. I'm after HID kit as you know
ALSUDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 18:07   #6261
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 2,538 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
Thanks Naveen, I'll ask him to try there. I'm after HID kit as you know
Anytime. Just keep me updated. Most of the kits do come from China nowadays. Will be hard to find German kits. Anyways, just try.
naveen.raju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 08:02   #6262
BHPian
 
WasavaTyres's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indore
Posts: 671
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I was planning on trying out the Osram NB+ but if they blow out within a year then it's a waste.
Osram NB+ is a reliable choice if your ride's electric system is in proper condition. I've been using them on my Punto for over 1.5 years now. 55/60W setup,good light for city and highway use AFAIC.
WasavaTyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 11:19   #6263
Distinguished - BHPian
 
hemanth.anand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,865
Thanked: 4,166 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I was planning on trying out the Osram NB+ but if they blow out within a year then it's a waste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasavaTyres View Post
Osram NB+ is a reliable choice if your ride's electric system is in proper condition. I've been using them on my Punto for over 1.5 years now. 55/60W setup,good light for city and highway use AFAIC.
Its the same case with me as well.
Its now been a little over than a year since I've put ONB+ on my punto.
I'm satisfied with the results provided its just a plug-n-play.

My colleague's punto had this, but one bulb went for a toss just after 7-8 months though.
hemanth.anand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2012, 13:09   #6264
BHPian
 
ryan_wheelz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: mumbai
Posts: 139
Thanked: 37 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hi All,


I was wondering if a double projector setup has any bad effects ? planning to install it . Currently i have 1 pair of projectors installed !

So basically im trying to understand if i can install an independent switch to start the second set of projectors.

this is the current set up
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-lityntnhy-1-1.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-ymyuluo-1-1.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-hhhnbg-1-1.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-jtujuk-1-1.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-oookmo-1-1.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-wp_000677.jpg  

ryan_wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 10:07   #6265
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 2,538 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Some kits used by my friend. The red and white angel ring is done on a type 2 Honda CRV.

@Ryan_wheelz - Think you know this car.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img2012072500217.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img2012072500218.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img2012072500219.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img2012072500220.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img2012072500222.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img2012072500226.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img2012072500230.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img2012072500231.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img2012072500232.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img2012072500235.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img2012072500237.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img2012072500238.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img2012072600242.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img2012072600244.jpg  

naveen.raju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 15:13   #6266
BHPian
 
rajeshchand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 265
Thanked: 75 Times
Default

I have a specific question for all the BHPians who have done these kind of modifications.

I am detailing a modification of my BMW X1 headlight assembly. The modification Is basically to install the projector headlamps along with angel eyes, which do not come as stock figment in a corporate edition. I am ready to take the risk of fitting these in a Beemer. The guy who is doing it is quite professional and I have found few of his earlier projects on an X3 very good. However the changes include, cutting the headlight assembly glass, then cutting the reflectors to accommodate a larger projector lamp and then placing the angel eyes, now the projector headlamps would be connected to the power source provided in the car, however angel eyes cannot be connected to them as the dashboard will show a permanent error on lighting source, so they will connect that directly to battery and provide the connection to one of the spare switches in the dashboard.

Now the question to all BHPians is whether these kind of aftermarket installations works fine on the car, I am quite aware of doing this on a Beemer, the warranty issues etc but My specific question to those who have done these modifications on their car is what is the reliability, what is the failure rate of these fitments and how long do they service you, what are the general issues faced with these aftermarket installations and any other points that you have in mind before I actually take the plunge.

Before anyone ask the question why I cannot buy this off the shelf from BMW, I tried that for last 4 months and it has come out that it is not possible to fit the one available off the shelf into my model of Beemer because it will need a change of the software and hardware and they are not ready to even price it forget about doing it, so much for customer experience.

Last edited by rajeshchand : 28th July 2012 at 15:14.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 16:36   #6267
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 2,538 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post

Now the question to all BHPians is whether these kind of aftermarket installations works fine on the car, I am quite aware of doing this on a Beemer, the warranty issues etc but My specific question to those who have done these modifications on their car is what is the reliability, what is the failure rate of these fitments and how long do they service you, what are the general issues faced with these aftermarket installations and any other points that you have in mind before I actually take the plunge.
Cutting the reflectors involves a lot of work and the installer needs to be perfect. There are projectors available which can be installed directly without having to cut the reflectors. These can be small and might not give an OEM finish. If you are confident that your mechanic can install it perfectly by cutting the reflectors then go for it.
These projectors will be plug n play devices and can be connected to the stock wiring. Projectors with angel eyes are available which is connected directly to the battery.

Speaking from my personal experience, I find the light output to be great. Some problems that can happen

1) After opening the headlight assembly to install the projectors, air gets trapped and you will notice the headlight assembly get foggy. This is due to the trapped air and mist is formed. This will stay for couple of days before getting cleared.
2) Since these are aftermarket kits, driving on bad roads tends to rattle these kits and connections tends to get loose.

Some things that needs to be done before leaving the workshop after installation.
1) Make sure all lights are working properly. Ok, it might sound a bit stupid but test the lights properly. Switch it on and off, try the high beams, try flashing. Do everything for couple of min. This happened to me as the high beam is activated by a shield. This got stuck because the wiring was jammed in between. So test it properly.
2) Check the light alignment. Make sure you test the light by facing the car atleast 20ft from a wall. Check the beam level and see it properly aligns with the level. Also make sure that both lights switch on at the same time.
3) Kits should be properly sealed and harnessed well. Make sure the wires arent sealed just for the sake of it. They should be properly placed without causing any strain which can later cause wear and tear.
4) Check whether the headlight assembly is sealed properly. Is they are not properly sealed, water can seep in damaging the projectors and the bulb. Use proper silicone gel as sealant. They are many other sealants available. Check with the mechanic.
5) Absolutely no cutting of stock wires.

If these are properly done, this will last without causing any problems. I have been after market projectors kits for more than 2 years without any major problems.

Hope this will help you. Keep us updated.
naveen.raju is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 18:50   #6268
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 175
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Some kits used by my friend. The red and white angel ring is done on a type 2 Honda CRV.

@Ryan_wheelz - Think you know this car.
Wow, those are some neat options. Whats the cost on them?

Also judging by the english on those images, the kit looks like china stuff. Does that mean that the HID bulbs too are not quite reliable? Or are these kits similar to the Philips / Osram HIDs or other kits? I'm not too familiar with the HID setups and I was looking to research a few for my own OHC.
Vandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 19:23   #6269
BHPian
 
rajeshchand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 265
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Cutting the reflectors involves a lot of work and the installer needs to be perfect. There are projectors available which can be installed directly without having to cut the reflectors. These can be small and might not give an OEM finish. If you are confident that your mechanic can install it perfectly by cutting the reflectors then go for it.
These projectors will be plug n play devices and can be connected to the stock wiring. Projectors with angel eyes are available which is connected directly to the battery.
Yes, of course, i inquired quite a lot details from the guy and he is quite confident about it and he has already told and shown me few X3s which he has modified the same manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Speaking from my personal experience, I find the light output to be great. Some problems that can happen

1) After opening the headlight assembly to install the projectors, air gets trapped and you will notice the headlight assembly get foggy. This is due to the trapped air and mist is formed. This will stay for couple of days before getting cleared.
2) Since these are aftermarket kits, driving on bad roads tends to rattle these kits and connections tends to get loose.
Yes, regarding air trapping, he confirmed that it can happen sometimes, that is an ok issue with me. I am worried about the second point of yours, that the aftermarket kits can rattle and create loose connection, as i use the car for long drives quite a lot this can become an issue , right. What is your experience with this, has this happened to you or it is just an issue that you believe that can happen.

Thanks for the confidence building post, i am leaning towards getting this done, will definitely post pics of all the procedures.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2012, 21:01   #6270
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,546
Thanked: 2,538 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandit View Post
Wow, those are some neat options. Whats the cost on them?

Also judging by the english on those images, the kit looks like china stuff. Does that mean that the HID bulbs too are not quite reliable? Or are these kits similar to the Philips / Osram HIDs or other kits? I'm not too familiar with the HID setups and I was looking to research a few for my own OHC.
FYI, the pics attached are not mine. These are from my friend's latest installation. I have a Swift with aftermarket projectors made in Singapore. I use Auto Gauge HID's. The ones in the OHC are not branded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
I am worried about the second point of yours, that the aftermarket kits can rattle and create loose connection, as i use the car for long drives quite a lot this can become an issue , right. What is your experience with this, has this happened to you or it is just an issue that you believe that can happen.
That wouldnt be a major issue if the installation is done properly. I experienced this a couple of times, just recently (2 years, absolutely no problem). The reason that I feel:
My car is running on low profile tires and tends to get badly when going over potholes. This causes a lot of vibration which tends to loosen the assembly (just an assumption because I have driven over potholes at a moderate speed)

Just mention this to your mechanic so that he is aware of this situation. This might help him do a much better installation.
naveen.raju is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3717 9th December 2016 22:09
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11182 3rd December 2016 17:34
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 71 17th February 2016 10:05
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 77 15th June 2015 13:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:20.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks