Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2013, 09:06   #7051
BHPian
 
rakesh_r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Pune/Mumbai
Posts: 931
Thanked: 505 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Guys, please clear my doubt.

Currently, im running philips 130/100 halogens(with ceramic holder wiring harness) in my Figo. Im planning to switch to HID's.

Now my question is will this "Philips Conv. Bulb H4 H/L 4200K 85815 P43" HID kit be brighter than my existing 130/100 halogen setup?

http://www.lighting.philips.co.in/v2...p?id=1012984#0

Please help me decide.

PS: Im also planning a upgrade to projector setup in the future, money permitting.
As far as I know the 4200k has been discontinued in India long back thanks to lack of knowledge where we always think blue is always best.Regarding on the performance the hid will run at a comparatively lower temperature hence won't compromise the reflectors.On the intensity front my swift runs on a 100-90 set up and my 220 on a 55w 4200 k hid.Found the latter to be much better.But it might be because the 220 has a projector.Hid always works best with a projector.
rakesh_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2013, 10:44   #7052
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,535 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboyscad View Post
Guys, please clear my doubt.

Currently, im running philips 130/100 halogens(with ceramic holder wiring harness) in my Figo. Im planning to switch to HID's.

Now my question is will this "Philips Conv. Bulb H4 H/L 4200K 85815 P43" HID kit be brighter than my existing 130/100 halogen setup?

http://www.lighting.philips.co.in/v2...p?id=1012984#0

Please help me decide.

PS: Im also planning a upgrade to projector setup in the future, money permitting.
If you are planning to upgrade to projectors in the future, wait for it and get HIDs. HID's in reflectors are not recommended. Moreover, stock bulb config might be different when compared to projector setup. If am correct, Figo got H4 bulbs while projector kit might accept different bulbs like H9. I had the same experience. So if you buy HID's now, it might suit the projector setup and your HID's will be a waste. So i advice you to stick with the current setup now and upgrade to projectors+HIDs when you have enough funds.

Philips had stopped the production of 4300k hids but you can source it now (Chinese made).
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 10:46   #7053
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,082
Thanked: 210 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I upgraded the headlight of my Getz to Philips Rally 100/90 with relay. I had tried Philips Vision Plus earlier, it was good but inadequate for highway runs. I am very happy with the upgrade. The brightness is too good for highway and throw has also improved.

I am not using a ceramic holder for the headlight. Is it required? The accessory guy was of the opinion that it was not required. If required, where can I source them in Bangalore? I think it is better to be on the safer side with headlight and electrical system.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 24th March 2013 at 10:55.
PatienceWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 11:31   #7054
Senior - BHPian
 
sameerg001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Dwarka, Delhi
Posts: 1,499
Thanked: 416 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I upgraded the headlight of my Getz to Philips Rally 100/90 with relay. I had tried Philips Vision Plus earlier, it was good but inadequate for highway runs. I am very happy with the upgrade. The brightness is too good for highway and throw has also improved.

I am not using a ceramic holder for the headlight. Is it required? The accessory guy was of the opinion that it was not required. If required, where can I source them in Bangalore? I think it is better to be on the safer side with headlight and electrical system.
I am using 90/100 with relay and without ceramic holders, well they are good to have but not neccassary to have. I didn't faced any darkening of reflectors since last 3 years.

Rest you can find them easily at any good accessories shop.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 15:31   #7055
BHPian
 
sajjt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 504
Thanked: 96 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post

I am using 90/100 with relay and without ceramic holders, well they are good to have but not neccassary to have. I didn't faced any darkening of reflectors since last 3 years.

Rest you can find them easily at any good accessories shop.
Dude, there is no relation between ceramic holders and blackened headlight glass. It's used for protecting the holder's from melting due to the excess heat from the higher rated bulbs. Some OE holders are of good quality which may withstand the heat from the bulb some may not. Melting the holder's can cause fire which is the last thing we would like hear.
sajjt is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2013, 19:46   #7056
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,300
Thanked: 711 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I myself got Philips Rally 100/90w bulbs with Philips original relay kit (relay + ceramic holders), all of it was done for 1300/- (good deal?)

The installer didn't wipe the bulbs with any alcohol solution before putting them in and when I asked he said it wasn't necessary.

The light is with a very little whitish tinge, definitely brighter and lights up the road ahead like its daytime. However, when there's oncoming traffic the glare from the opposite side mellows down the throw.

Compared to my swift's OEM setup, its way bright and doing ~100-110 kmph in night now seems manageable.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 12:16   #7057
BHPian
 
Sommos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bhilai, CG.
Posts: 985
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I upgraded the headlight of my Getz to Philips Rally 100/90 with relay. I had tried Philips Vision Plus earlier, it was good but inadequate for highway runs. I am very happy with the upgrade. The brightness is too good for highway and throw has also improved.

I am not using a ceramic holder for the headlight. Is it required? The accessory guy was of the opinion that it was not required. If required, where can I source them in Bangalore? I think it is better to be on the safer side with headlight and electrical system.
This depends more on your usage pattern.
If you do not drive much at night i.e. with your headlamps on, the stock holders may work. But if you do some long drives at night your stock holders will, in all probability, not hold good with the immense heat generated by these bulbs.
It is always advisable to install ceramic holders with 100/90W bulbs.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 14:10   #7058
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Delhi
Posts: 2
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hi
Went in for H4 100/90 (Halonix ) for my SX4. It says 100/90 CP, not W or watts, on the lamps. What's the difference?
The vendor wasn't sure himself, because it was something he hadn't ever noticed.
Any ideas?
ambidextaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 16:31   #7059
BHPian
 
Sommos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bhilai, CG.
Posts: 985
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambidextaurus View Post
Hi
Went in for H4 100/90 (Halonix ) for my SX4. It says 100/90 CP, not W or watts, on the lamps. What's the difference?
The vendor wasn't sure himself, because it was something he hadn't ever noticed.
Any ideas?
CP is the abbreviation of Candlepower.

Candlepower is an obsolete unit measuring luminous intensity, equal to 0.981 candela. It expresses levels of light intensity in terms of the light emitted by a candle of specific size and constituents.

In modern usage Candlepower equates directly to the unit known as the candela.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 03:44   #7060
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,300
Thanked: 711 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

What would be the brightest set of bulbs that I can put in place of the OE fog lamps in my swift? I think those are H7 type but my objective would be to use them during daytime on highway drives as DRLs.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 04:45   #7061
BHPian
 
OmThoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 78
Thanked: 50 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Can anybody tell me how much would the HID kit for Cedia sports cost me? I've checked at couple of places, and dealers are telling me around 8k-ish - is that reasonable?
OmThoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 09:41   #7062
BHPian
 
Sommos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bhilai, CG.
Posts: 985
Thanked: 671 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What would be the brightest set of bulbs that I can put in place of the OE fog lamps in my swift? I think those are H7 type but my objective would be to use them during daytime on highway drives as DRLs.
Why would you like to use the fogs as DRL when you can put proper DRL on your Swift.
Take a look at Naveen Raju's Swift in this thread : Swift custom modz (Swift Custom Modz)


Quote:
Originally Posted by OmThoke View Post
Can anybody tell me how much would the HID kit for Cedia sports cost me? I've checked at couple of places, and dealers are telling me around 8k-ish - is that reasonable?
A good quality HID with projector should cost much more.
This should be ideal for good results and should cost around 20K.
HID : Philips or Morimoto.
Projector : Morimoto Mini or Hella E55.

I would request you to use HID with projector setup.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 09:44   #7063
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,535 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
What would be the brightest set of bulbs that I can put in place of the OE fog lamps in my swift? I think those are H7 type but my objective would be to use them during daytime on highway drives as DRLs.
As Sommos pointed out, why do you want to use the fogs a DRLs? You can install a set of DRL's on the lower portion of the grill which will look good. I have installed a cheap Chinese product which is pretty good. For something bright, go with Philips DRL's but be prepared to shell out 5k-6k for these. But worth the cash and it's pretty bright.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 10:18   #7064
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,300
Thanked: 711 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
As Sommos pointed out, why do you want to use the fogs a DRLs?
I don't want it for the bling factor but during highway drives in daytime. I did see the DRLs that you got but these wouldn't be as powerful as the fogs.

Also, the bulbs in the fog lamps would be cheap to replace and I can do that every 6 months also if required.

I could even go with a higher wattage than 55 or 60 because the fog lamp reflectors are cheap and can be replaced upon blackening.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2013, 10:37   #7065
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,535 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I don't want it for the bling factor but during highway drives in daytime. I did see the DRLs that you got but these wouldn't be as powerful as the fogs.

Also, the bulbs in the fog lamps would be cheap to replace and I can do that every 6 months also if required.

I could even go with a higher wattage than 55 or 60 because the fog lamp reflectors are cheap and can be replaced upon blackening.
Then the best bet for you is to upgrade the fog lamps with higher wattage bulbs. I wanted something that's not too bright like Philips so went for the Chinese brand. Upgrade your fogs to Philips with higher wattage bulbs.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11182 3rd December 2016 17:34
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3713 2nd December 2016 19:09
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 71 17th February 2016 10:05
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 77 15th June 2015 13:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:00.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks