Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2013, 13:39   #7201
BHPian
 
Chris_Xtreme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 103
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I got it from a brick and mortar store.
Thanks for the info. Will scout this weekend for a relay kit and a 90/100 bulb for the headlight upgrade which I had planned for my WagonR.
Chris_Xtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 15:01   #7202
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Thanks a lot! I finally upgraded the lights yesterday. Had to go in for 130/100 ( I wanted 90/100) as all I found in 90/100 were white lights which I did not want. Its a Philips Rally one and a pair of them costed Rs.660. The relay kit used was of Hella and costed Rs.900. The shop I went to tried to make me buy a pair of Osram ones (white lights) for Rs.1200 and literally he was forcing me! Those did not even have a pack. I demanded for the cover and stuff and slowly he arranged for a fresh Philips one. I had quite a poor experience. I got to know from the guy the procedure to change to stock bulbs. The upgraded bulbs are awesome and I never feel the need to use the high beam in the city! But I feel 130/100 is an overkill. I'l wait for some more time before deciding whether to change or not.

Thanks everyone for the help!

Cheers!
Awesome. The spread is really good and lights up the road really well. Glad you are happy with the outcome. Do keep us updated on it's performance and your experience.
Congrats!
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 15:42   #7203
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,036
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Guys

Can anyone recommend a good set of fogs for my Fiesta sxi (now Classic)? One of my OE fogs was damaged and hangs loose sometimes, as the plastic bracket is broken. Per Ford, I need to change for a new set of fogs that will set me back by 5 K.
I am happy with the stock fogs, but wanted to know if there are better or cheaper options.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 15:47   #7204
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys

Can anyone recommend a good set of fogs for my Fiesta sxi (now Classic)? One of my OE fogs was damaged and hangs loose sometimes, as the plastic bracket is broken. Per Ford, I need to change for a new set of fogs that will set me back by 5 K.
I am happy with the stock fogs, but wanted to know if there are better or cheaper options.
There are many varieties of aftermarket fog lights available in the market like LED's, Projector fogs lights etc. I would recommend the halogen type fog lights since it will be within your budget and provides good visibility (Guess it wont be as good as the OE fogs but cant ask for more when it comes cheap). Check out these at any local accessories shops and see that it fits well.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 15:48   #7205
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 86
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Thanks a lot! I finally upgraded the lights yesterday. Had to go in for 130/100 ( I wanted 90/100) as all I found in 90/100 were white lights which I did not want. Its a Philips Rally one and a pair of them costed Rs.660. The relay kit used was of Hella and costed Rs.900. The shop I went to tried to make me buy a pair of Osram ones (white lights) for Rs.1200 and literally he was forcing me! Those did not even have a pack. I demanded for the cover and stuff and slowly he arranged for a fresh Philips one. I had quite a poor experience. I got to know from the guy the procedure to change to stock bulbs. The upgraded bulbs are awesome and I never feel the need to use the high beam in the city! But I feel 130/100 is an overkill. I'l wait for some more time before deciding whether to change or not.



Thanks everyone for the help!

Cheers!
Hi freakmuzik. Much needed upgrade I guess. One question though, is your front windshield tinted? I had 130/100 in my Zen and they were yellowish and too bright. From the pics, the light output is whitish. Am I to see the Eye Specialist?
Maxwell Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 15:49   #7206
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,011
Thanked: 6,046 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Can anyone recommend a good set of fogs for my Fiesta sxi (now Classic)? One of my OE fogs was damaged and hangs loose sometimes, as the plastic bracket is broken.
Please visit any car accessory showroom at Minister Road and get the fog lamps replaced from them. Since your not particular on brand or make, you can choose from a variety of options and it will set you back a maximum of 1000-1500 INR.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 15:50   #7207
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,036
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
There are many varieties of aftermarket fog lights available in the market like LED's, Projector fogs lights etc. I would recommend the halogen type fog lights since it will be within your budget and provides good visibility (Guess it wont be as good as the OE fogs but cant ask for more when it comes cheap). Check out these at any local accessories shops and see that it fits well.
That was quick, thanks. If the cost difference is only around 2K, then I think I'll go for stock ones from Ford.
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 15:55   #7208
BHPian
 
freakmuzik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 437
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Arthur View Post
Hi freakmuzik. Much needed upgrade I guess. One question though, is your front windshield tinted? I had 130/100 in my Zen and they were yellowish and too bright. From the pics, the light output is whitish. Am I to see the Eye Specialist?
Haha, no they're not tinted ! I think it looks whitish because my Mobile cam coulnd't handle the brightness haha. They're yellow and awesomely bright. I'm gonna enjoy night driving for sure! Hope you had a good experience with 130/100 bulbs.
freakmuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 15:56   #7209
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,544
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
That was quick, thanks. If the cost difference is only around 2K, then I think I'll go for stock ones from Ford.
If the margin isnt much, it's better to go for the OE lamps. Try getting a discount. If you know someone out there (Like, a SA) he might help you reduce the price. I do this when I get OE accessories. Did once when I had a Fiesta. Got the Ford emblem of cost.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 15:58   #7210
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 86
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakmuzik View Post
Haha, no they're not tinted ! I think it looks whitish because my Mobile cam coulnd't handle the brightness haha. They're yellow and awesomely bright. I'm gonna enjoy night driving for sure! Hope you had a good experience with 130/100 bulbs.

Awesome. The bulbs are just wonderful. As long as I had it on the car, nobody dared come in front of me with the high beam. Seriously. The headlamp reflectors on the Zen were plastic and I did not fine any discoloration even after prolonged use.
Maxwell Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th May 2013, 17:41   #7211
BHPian
 
devilwearsprada's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: 30km. from IGI.
Posts: 386
Thanked: 519 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Just got projectors on my Esteem(Type-3). The Projectors have literally turned the world around for my car.
1. Reason for upgrade : The 130/100 Philips Bulbs with Hella Relay I had earlier wasn't even close to sufficient for the car. They were too yellow, the throw was short and they weren't good for the highways.
2. Shop address and mini-review : The projectors were bought from Autozone(Batra Car Care) on Old Delhi Road.Deepak's a great chap, and the lights were fit quickly. However, the wiring got a little loose but got it corrected the next day. He smoked the lamps for free too.
3. Price : Rs.11500 + 3000(Reflectors)
4. Result : The Projector look great along with the Angel Eyes(CCFL-Rings). They have a great throw, prefectly balanced white light and suitable for highways. Will put up pictures later
devilwearsprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 11:02   #7212
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,337
Thanked: 771 Times
Default Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaap View Post
I am planning to install the 100/90 HL bulbs on my Alto (as the stock ones are just not sufficient) along with fog lights, my questions are:
1. Will the fog lights also work in normal conditions and provide extra illumination (along with the 100/90)
2. Is it Ok to install the fog lights in the place provided for fog lights in Alto's bumper
Alaap
1 - You want fog lamps or auxiliary lights ? Now if its the latter, yes they do and improves the lighting quite a bit.

2 - You will need to find something that fits in exactly into the bumper.

I suggest that you pick up the Hella 500FF or the 700FF and install them on a custom made clamp like the other members have done with their cars.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2013, 12:46   #7213
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: The Hella Experience - 500 FF

Thanks buddy. As of now will be getting the 100/90 philips rallye with relay installed, will get the Hella 500FF installed next month probably.

Jus hesitatinig due to the safety of the Hellas from anti social elements as they look too tempting on the bumper with clamps rather than in the Fog light sockets in the bumper

Thanks again... as of now 100/90 it is !!!

Alaap
Alaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 13:35   #7214
Senior - BHPian
 
fine69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,301
Thanked: 712 Times
Default

Is it ok to wash the engine bay with mild pressure or almost no pressure while I've got philips relay and all those plugs sitting in the engine bay?
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2013, 20:10   #7215
Senior - BHPian
 
vnabhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DC -> DC
Posts: 5,036
Thanked: 1,038 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
If the margin isnt much, it's better to go for the OE lamps. Try getting a discount. If you know someone out there (Like, a SA) he might help you reduce the price. I do this when I get OE accessories. Did once when I had a Fiesta. Got the Ford emblem of cost.
I'm delighted to tell you that I've got my problem fixed at the local accessories shop near my home, from whom I buy stuff like perfumes, mats, sun film, etc.

He got the fog assembly removed from the bumper first (it is held by clips onto the bumper socket by the horizontal slats). Then he reached for the dangling fog lamp, detached the wire and took it out to examine the damage. There is a circular plastic compartment within which the fog assembly fits snugly, and this plastic compartment has 4 holes at the outer edge onto which the screws are fixed and then latched to the bumper's chrome fog bracket. Two of the holes were damaged at the top, and I believe screw holes are there only at the top in the Fiesta's design. As a result the ones at the bottom are not screwed on all this long.

So he simply inverted the assembly, after adjusting the angle of the bulb, and then screwed it on using the holes that were earlier at the bottom, and now at the top. Thereafter he placed the assembly onto the bumper socket and pushed the plastic clips into place. All this took around 25 minutes. The results were very satisfying, though if one takes a close look into the chrome socket, one can see a very slight gap at the bottom.

All this was done for Rs 150. Great when compared to Rs 4750 for a set of OEM fogs from Ford. I wish Ford A.S.S had got this idea before (though in my prior visit in Jan the new SA mentioned that he'd do some jugaad in the next service).
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11182 3rd December 2016 17:34
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3713 2nd December 2016 19:09
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 71 17th February 2016 10:05
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 77 15th June 2015 13:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:02.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks