Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2016, 16:55   #9781
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,827
Thanked: 2,939 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I have been thinking if we should get back the old rule of masking the top part of the headlamp .. It looks to be even more required today, considering the more powerful bulbs we use, and with using HID's without projectors ..

And yesterday, I Spot this car ..

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc_1325red.jpg

Thoughtful of the owner ..
condor is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2016, 07:05   #9782
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 6,644
Thanked: 3,059 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Angry Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I have been thinking if we should get back the old rule of masking the top part of the headlamp .. It looks to be even more required today, considering the more powerful bulbs we use, and with using HID's without projectors ..
With modern complex patterns, esp with most cars no longer having lenses in the front glass, this will be pretty ineffective. Brilliant idea, first do illegal with the light source, and the break the law by blackening. Strictly speaking you are interfering in the safety related system by covering part of the glass. I have checked with a transportation engineer friend and he had confirmed.

So break the law, and then again break it.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2016, 08:30   #9783
Distinguished - BHPian
 
condor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Speed-brkr City
Posts: 9,827
Thanked: 2,939 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Can you think of something else to overcome the breaking-the-law part ? I remember the reason they said for having the strip, and the reason they said for removing the strip.

But the new bulbs, not even regular halogens in reflectors can cut off the high-beam in a way to prevent blinding the on-coming person. In such a situation a the blackeing may be the easiest method to prevent blinding the on-coming driver, - however crude the method.

Even with new cars, the projectors with their precision-like cut-off are in the low-beam. Most of the cars that have projectors have a regular reflector based high-beam, which easily blind the on-coming driver.

And let's not even touch the HID-sans-projectors.


btw, this guy may have broken the law by adding these lamps. But IMHO, it is still not as bad as the ones who drive with their high-beams permanently on.

Last edited by condor : 13th April 2016 at 08:31.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2016, 08:54   #9784
Senior - BHPian
 
audioholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BengaLuru
Posts: 2,590
Thanked: 2,941 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I remember the reason they said for having the strip, and the reason they said for removing the strip.

But the new bulbs, not even regular halogens in reflectors can cut off the high-beam in a way to prevent blinding the on-coming person. In such a situation a the blackeing may be the easiest method to prevent blinding the on-coming driver, - however crude the method.
Technically, your suggestion would be wrong. The blackening method is only acceptable for old headlights with no optics involved and anything later than the glass lens will not give any benefit, and rather degrade the light output to an unusable level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
With modern complex patterns, esp with most cars no longer having lenses in the front glass, this will be pretty ineffective.
To elaborate on what professor has said, the low beam of your car is bounced off the upper portion of the reflector with the farthest part of the beam thrown from the center of the reflector. Refer the image below:

Name:  lamp.jpg
Views: 1331
Size:  64.2 KB

So if you blacken the top portion of the reflector, the near area of the low beam will be gone and you will get a faint beam far away from the car. And the high beam will be compromised to some extent depending upon how much you have blackened.

However, in high beam, if you want to elimnate glare, the whole lens should be blackened since the entire area is used to reflect the beam. Blackening a portion of the lens will not give you any reduction in the beam. Hence, it is good that this rule has been trashed. Perhaps they should implement auto dipping headlight systems in all cars as a rule. That will make a huge difference.

Speaking this as I work next to a team working on LED headlight clusters, so I get to hear some points
audioholic is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2016, 10:09   #9785
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 482
Thanked: 442 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Low beam and high beam, or full and dip are actually old terms, the real terms are shielded and focussed. What we call high beam is focussed, and the low beam has a shield that cuts off part of the beam to avoid blinding on comming traffic.
You should dip your beam when there is oncomming traffic, and use the focussed high beam only when there is no one ahead of you. Anything else is just silly.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 14:53   #9786
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore , Ind
Posts: 13
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Honda City Additional Lighting for Highway Drives

Hello

I own a 2010 Honda City SMT.Using P8 HID's as the main source of headlights.

However, over the years i feel the light quality & amount has gone down. Also, my regular highway trips have increased.

Want to upgrade to better lighting. What could be the solutions ?

1. Get a new set of HID's ( High Intensity ? Please suggest specifically )
2. Get Fog Lights with HID's in them
3. Additional LED/Other based light bars etc etc ?

Looking forward to some urgent guidance
TIA

Last edited by Zappo : 14th April 2016 at 15:01. Reason: Please search and use relevant existing threads to put up your query rather than opening a new thread.
rnagpal89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 22:38   #9787
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 8
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Vehicle owners as well as manufacturers are taking ongoing efforts to ensure that headlights are becoming better. The throw and spread of light is optimum & lumen emitted per penny invested. This is good because safety gets enhanced in the process.

However, a trend that is observed where indicators sit pretty close to the headlamps in the headlight clusters.
Due to this, when the driver tries to indicate a turn (using the indicator) while the headlight is on high beam, it may not be readily identifiable by other commuters coming from the opposite direction, resulting in judgement errors.
This could have a direct impact on the safety of the commuters of either vehicles.

This challenge could be potentially countered by manufacturers by ensuring that headlights automatically switch to dipper mode each time the indicator is used.

There could be potential flip-side of the suggestion that I have just made. While I work on figuring this out using my limited knowledge, would request other forum members to share their thoughts on this.
MS_Auto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 23:00   #9788
BHPian
 
v_safari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 112
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
This is the view that the on-coming driver/person gets. I was asking for the view from the driver seat.
Picture with no lights and just the LEDs on.
.
Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1460654990682.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-1460655099419.jpg  


Last edited by FlyingSpur : 15th April 2016 at 03:12. Reason: Successive posts merged as per RP
v_safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2016, 23:49   #9789
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Mlore/Kasaragod
Posts: 1,488
Thanked: 2,231 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnagpal89 View Post
Hello

I own a 2010 Honda City SMT.Using P8 HID's as the main source of headlights.

However, over the years i feel the light quality & amount has gone down. Also, my regular highway trips have increased.

Want to upgrade to better lighting. What could be the solutions ?

1. Get a new set of HID's ( High Intensity ? Please suggest specifically )
2. Get Fog Lights with HID's in them
3. Additional LED/Other based light bars etc etc ?

Looking forward to some urgent guidance
TIA
I suggest you to go for good quality projector setup kit from Morimoto or xenon planet. Both offer warranty and reliable for long term.
Dr.Naren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 08:03   #9790
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 1,027
Thanked: 1,389 Times
Default Re: Honda City Additional Lighting for Highway Drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnagpal89 View Post
However, over the years i feel the light quality & amount has gone down.
This may be due to headlights being very old - the glass may have lost its original shine and see-through ability over the period of time. Did you try doing any headlight cleaning and restoration things? There are some detailing shops who do this and it's not costly. May be just Rs. 500 to give it a try.

Your current P8 HIDs are good enough. Adding more K lights may not help bigtime. In my limited experience, I have seen that the HIDs are good for most situations but if you still need more light, nothing can beat aux lights setup using Hella, Lightforce or even LEDs. You can also use morimoto bi-xenon setup as well but the gain won't be too big. Also I suppose this will need opening your headlight assembly and tweaking with it. I would personally prefer to have a separate light setup instead of fiddling with headlights.
abirnale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2016, 23:29   #9791
Senior - BHPian
 
AutoIndian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: PCMC, Pune-MH14
Posts: 2,869
Thanked: 3,348 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS_Auto View Post
This challenge could be potentially countered by manufacturers by ensuring that headlights automatically switch to dipper mode each time the indicator is used.

There could be potential flip-side of the suggestion that I have just made. While I work on figuring this out using my limited knowledge, would request other forum members to share their thoughts on this.
That is a very good suggestion. Very few people bother about the impact of their car's headlights on other commuters/ road users. I never use upper beam while driving within city limits. However I do use the fog lamps for the additional illumination on the road just ahead of the car. When turning at an intersection I switch off my headlamps once I turn on the indicator. My fog lamps give me sufficient illumination and the indicators can be easily spotted by the oncoming traffic. Besides this when I come to a standstill either due to traffic or at red lights I switch off my headlamps (note: parking lamps and fog lamps are on). That way the oncoming traffic or people crossing road don't get dazzled by my headlights. Also this gives an opportunity for the lights to cool down a bit.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2016, 10:15   #9792
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Pune
Posts: 8
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Very few people bother about the impact of their car's headlights on other commuters/ road users. I never use upper beam while driving within city limits. However I do use the fog lamps for the additional illumination on the road just ahead of the car. When turning at an intersection I switch off my headlamps once I turn on the indicator. My fog lamps give me sufficient illumination and the indicators can be easily spotted by the oncoming traffic.
This is definitely very considerate of you sir.
You are very right when you say that "Very few people bother about the impact of their car's headlights on other commuters/ road users."
Or it could simply be that as a user, I may have forgotten to manually flip some switch so that others are not troubled.

Historically, car manufacturers have identified the need for reducing manual intervention in activities like switching off turn indicators when we the vehicle finishes taking a turn.

And, for this exact same reason, it could be worthwhile for vehicle manufacturers to explore opportunities by automating change from high beam to low beam till such time that indicators are on. Headlights can change to high beam automatically once indicators are turned off.

Am sure this should not add too much to their overall cost.

Benefits:
- Improvement in road safety
- No trouble to oncoming vehicle
- No dependency on vehicle user to manually change headlight settings.

Last edited by MS_Auto : 16th April 2016 at 10:28.
MS_Auto is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 10:13   #9793
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 482
Thanked: 442 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Has any one tried Philips X Treme Ultinon H4 or equivalent bulbs in their stock reflector set up. At the moment they are available only in white colour, as I am not a fan of white light, I will be interested in using them when warm white is introduces.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2016, 19:33   #9794
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Delhi/Indore
Posts: 84
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Rao View Post
Has any one tried Philips X Treme Ultinon H4 or equivalent bulbs in their stock reflector set up. At the moment they are available only in white colour, as I am not a fan of white light, I will be interested in using them when warm white is introduces.

Rahul
Hey Rahul, even I keep a close eye on this product and have been trying to get some feedback on it. Eventually, I guess I'll have to be the guinea pig and share my thoughts on it with others but the only thing stops me from getting it is the price tag. Somewhere in the range of 5-7k would have been the ideal price but 11-12k is way too overpriced. I mean, you can get a decent projector HID setup with that price.
k.sumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 11:12   #9795
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 482
Thanked: 442 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by k.sumit View Post
Somewhere in the range of 5-7k would have been the ideal price but 11-12k is way too overpriced. I mean, you can get a decent projector HID setup with that price.
This is just plug and play, it fit's the H4 holder there is no modification to fit it.
A friend recently fitted his XUV500 with Osram HID's in low beam, and X-treme Ultinon 2700k fog lamps. The local reseller had fog lamps in 2700k, 6000k and 6700k with holder adaptor for H8 / H11 / H16.
If they had something around 4000k in H7 he was interested in replacing the high beams too.
I don't know what others feel, but I don't see better in white light as all manufacturers advertise.

Rahul
Rahul Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3717 9th December 2016 22:09
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11182 3rd December 2016 17:34
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 416 8th October 2016 21:04
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 71 17th February 2016 10:05
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 77 15th June 2015 13:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:53.

Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks