Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2017, 11:14   #10246
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 98
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hi Folks!

I'm considering upgrading the stock headlights of my Fiat Punto MJD. Punto takes H4 sized bulb.

Now, i have been considering a projector kit, but haven't found anything worth yet. A quick search on Amazon gave me two options:
1. Philips Xtreme Vision (http://www.amazon.in/Philips-H4-X-tr...-1&keywords=H4)
2. Philips H/L HID headlight bulb (http://www.amazon.in/Philips-85815-H...-7&keywords=H4)

My 1st concern is will any of these replacements require changing the stock wiring. And will the 2nd option even fit in the stock holders, though the size says H4, but the tip of the bulb looks quite different.

Please advice!

Regards
Saurav
Thumping Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 11:40   #10247
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,630
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post

Punto takes H4 sized bulb.

Now, i have been considering a projector kit, but haven't found anything worth yet. A quick search on Amazon gave me two options:
1. Philips Xtreme Vision
2. Philips H/L HID headlight bulb

My 1st concern is will any of these replacements require changing the stock wiring. And will the 2nd option even fit in the stock holders, though the size says H4, but the tip of the bulb looks quite different.
The option 1 is a 55/60W bulb which will not need any wiring change. Just plug and play. I have these bulbs in my Sep'10 Wagon R. The advantage over stock bulbs is limited, just informing.

Option 2 : The bulbs are available with wiring or just the bulbs ? They are 85V as per the page and will certainly need wiring and Ballast. They are just bulbs, not the HID kit like this.
If you are purchasing the bulbs from link you have mentioned, the wiring +Ballast will have to be purchased separately.
aaggoswami is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 12:09   #10248
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 98
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
The option 1 is a 55/60W bulb which will not need any wiring change. Just plug and play. I have these bulbs in my Sep'10 Wagon R. The advantage over stock bulbs is limited, just informing.

Option 2 : The bulbs are available with wiring or just the bulbs ? They are 85V as per the page and will certainly need wiring and Ballast. They are just bulbs, not the HID kit like this.
If you are purchasing the bulbs from link you have mentioned, the wiring +Ballast will have to be purchased separately.
Thanks for the Osram link. So, my understanding is that HID kit would include the HID bulb + wiring + ballast and would need to be done by a trained mechanic, rather than a direct plug & play.

Also, please suggest what level of improvement can i expect over the stock lamps and if there are any projector lamps available for Punto & at what possible price points. I searched on amazon & few other portals but in vain.
Thumping Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 20:50   #10249
BHPian
 
::CMS::'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 572
Thanked: 450 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I never trust such dogmatic statements. Wiring can definitely handle 10A. To be doubly sure see what fuses are there. in my Civic the original fogs are 35W halogen. The replacement HIDs are 55W. I just did a swap, no issues whatsoever. I checked the fuses were 10A. Even 5A fuses should have done, 7.5 would definitely have worked.
Hope you understand the basics of automotive electricals, no fuse will be selected based on the ideal condition. Manufactures are not dump to use the wires with the exact requirement, it will always have a buffer. Its critical in case of a short circuit which will result in high currents than the rated specs. Hence, its always recommended to isolate the external fittings from the default circuits using a relay and draw power directly from the battery with a proper rated fuse as the external fittings are not tested by the manufacturer or the chances for short circuits are high. This will not only isolate but also prevent the existing circuit from loading more than the designed rating.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
Thanks for the Osram link. So, my understanding is that HID kit would include the HID bulb + wiring + ballast and would need to be done by a trained mechanic, rather than a direct plug & play.

Also, please suggest what level of improvement can i expect over the stock lamps and if there are any projector lamps available for Punto & at what possible price points. I searched on amazon & few other portals but in vain.
HID should never be used in a regular reflector combo as it will blind the oncoming traffic and wont give you any extra throw, it will just work as a flood light. Use them only with proper reflector combo (btw, regular cheap chinese projectors are of no use, you wont get much usable light from that).

Last edited by ::CMS:: : 5th January 2017 at 21:08.
::CMS:: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 21:05   #10250
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vijayawada
Posts: 218
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Guys,

Any feedback on the site http://www.autoglam.in

It has different lighting solutions for many vehicles.

Since, I have Duster AMT RXZ, are the projectors listed at below site, worth the cost and performance.

http://www.autoglam.in/renault/duster

Quick response is appreciated.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 5th January 2017 at 21:08.
vvrchandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2017, 21:11   #10251
BHPian
 
::CMS::'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 572
Thanked: 450 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Guys,

Any feedback on the site http://www.autoglam.in

It has different lighting solutions for many vehicles.

Since, I have Duster AMT RXZ, are the projectors listed at below site, worth the cost and performance.

http://www.autoglam.in/renault/duster

Quick response is appreciated.
Please dont waste money on those aftermarket kits, it wont give you anything more than a bling factor
::CMS:: is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 11:08   #10252
Senior - BHPian
 
aaggoswami's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vadodara
Posts: 4,630
Thanked: 1,318 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumping Soul View Post
Thanks for the Osram link. So, my understanding is that HID kit would include the HID bulb +...

Also, please suggest what level of improvement can i expect over the stock lamps and if there are any projector lamps available for Punto ....
My views concur with what CMS has mentioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
HID should never be used in a regular reflector combo as it will blind the ....
HID in reflector set up is not the optimum combination, and HID + projectors is whats the optimal recommendation. However, I am not aware of projector set up for Punto or any other car for that matter. There could be some guys who would possibly do that, and a few members have installed protectors in Swift (DIY: Maruti Suzuki Swift Bi-Xenon Projectors. Morimoto FX-R 3.0 Installation), Polo (threads are here on TBHP), but for me it was a greater risk when I wanted to upgrade lights in my Swift. Cost + rework+warranty. Hence, I went in for wiring + higher watt bulbs set up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ::CMS:: View Post
Hope you understand the basics of automotive electricals, no fuse will be selected based on the ideal condition. Manufactures are not dump to use the wires with the exact requirement, it will always have a buffer. Its critical in case of a short circuit which will result in high currents than the rated specs. ... designed rating.
I was very tempted to put H11 in my Swift instead of H8 which came as stock. But am afraid the wiring might not hold up to the additional load as 55W is more than 50% jump over stock 35W. Moreover, the fog lamp's focusing is just a toss. Dont know where it goes, mainly lighting up the zone which is out of my field of vision.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 6th January 2017 at 11:37.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 14:49   #10253
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,048
Thanked: 3,591 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I was very tempted to put H11 in my Swift instead of H8 which came as stock. But am afraid the wiring might not hold up to the additional load as 55W is more than 50% jump over stock 35W. Moreover, the fog lamp's focusing is just a toss. Dont know where it goes, mainly lighting up the zone which is out of my field of vision.
55W is still only 5A max. As I have said many times I have nor seen any automotive wiring rated at less than 10A. To be doubly are check the fuses. If they are also 10A or even 7.5A go ahead without fear.
sgiitk is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2017, 23:08   #10254
bkc
BHPian
 
bkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: bengaluru
Posts: 40
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
55W is still only 5A max. As I have said many times I have nor seen any automotive wiring rated at less than 10A. To be doubly are check the fuses. If they are also 10A or even 7.5A go ahead without fear.
I have put relay kit on both my Optra and Swift with 90/100 bulbs. The Optra had the MINDA wiring kit burnt, though they were of 90/100 rating.
Once, I was on highway with my second hand M800, the headlights gave away after sometime. On inspection, found the wiring harness had fried exactly near the holders due to heat. If relay kit goes, you’ll end up damaging the relay kit and fuse in that wiring harness, but, if you lose the car wiring, it will be worse. Better safe than sorry.
Suppose you burn your relay kit on highway, connect your headlights to stock wiring, until you reach a garage/safe place.
bkc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 08:56   #10255
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,048
Thanked: 3,591 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

@bkc; If you go to 90/100W then relay kit with harness is a must. Remember almost all the wattage comes out as heat. I was talking of the 35/55W regime where relays are more of a problem. Take it from me that as long as you are on 55/60W or less you DO NOT need relays and harness.
sgiitk is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 09:12   #10256
bkc
BHPian
 
bkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: bengaluru
Posts: 40
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@bkc; If you go to 90/100W then relay kit with harness is a must. Remember almost all the wattage comes out as heat. I was talking of the 35/55W regime where relays are more of a problem. Take it from me that as long as you are on 55/60W or less you DO NOT need relays and harness.
Yes, 55w never give any issues if you upgrade from 35w
I am planning to downgrade from 90/100w to 55/60w on my swift, due to future warranty issues.
Confused between, nightbreakers and extremevision.
bkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 09:58   #10257
Senior - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: B'lore / Mysore
Posts: 2,592
Thanked: 4,468 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Mini Super V2 Projector Setup ( Xenon Planet) on my Baleno :

Hot Spot is well centred resulting in superb high beam coverage. I have uploaded a video showing the beam pattern of Mini Super Projector.

Attached Thumbnails
Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-img20170106wa0017.jpg  

Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here-dsc_2136.jpg  

Dr.Naren is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 10:11   #10258
bkc
BHPian
 
bkc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: bengaluru
Posts: 40
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hi Naren,
Can you please, post the headlight pictures from the front end of the vehicle? Need to see how it looks, when viewed the vehicle head-on. Any warranty issues later on??
bkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 10:25   #10259
Senior - BHPian
 
Dr.Naren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: B'lore / Mysore
Posts: 2,592
Thanked: 4,468 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc View Post
Hi Naren,
Can you please, post the headlight pictures from the front end of the vehicle? Need to see how it looks, when viewed the vehicle head-on. Any warranty issues later on??
You can check the pics here :

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post4008620 (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here)

Electrical Warranty wouldn't be void because Xenon Planet do not cut any stock wiring. You would lose the warranty for headlights though, as they need to be opened for retrofit. Headlight warranty is for manufacturing defects, moisture/water inside headlight etc. You do not need to worry about it because Xenon Planet uses OEM type butyl rubber sealant for resealing the headlights.
Dr.Naren is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2017, 11:16   #10260
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,275
Thanked: 2,537 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Hot Spot is well centred resulting in superb high beam coverage. I have uploaded a video showing the beam pattern of Mini Super Projector.
This is really good Dr. Naren. The cutoff of the projectors look very clean. The high beam hot spot also looks very good. Compared to this, the cutoff and high beam throw of the projectors that I got installed from Lumens' Systems is very bad. Maybe XenonPlanet is doing a better quality control on the components that they use.

How is the quality of the retrofit and wiring done by XenonPlanet? Do they do a clean wiring with proper heatshrink tube insulation and copper tape, and good sealing of the headlights?

Off topic, I have summarized the quality and reliability issues with my projector setup in this post in a different thread.

Last edited by graaja : 7th January 2017 at 11:20.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3889 17th August 2017 18:31
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 420 5th August 2017 13:48
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11225 5th May 2017 10:16
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 78 16th December 2016 15:30
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 71 17th February 2016 10:05


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:06.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks