Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2017, 17:46   #10456
BHPian
 
Myth_sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: KOL, BBSR
Posts: 48
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I was also wondering if there is anyway to improve the stock lighting in my 2015 VW Jetta Highline by probably changing to better bulbs?
Better bulbs might have some improvement but not too much. The oem projectors usually do not have clear lens and this impacts the light throw intensity.
Check your projector lens for circular etchings. Or if you can clearly see the bulb or the solenoid.
Myth_sx is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:00   #10457
BHPian
 
PearlJam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 310
Thanked: 328 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Hi, can someone please comment on the aftermarket kits from autoglam.in? I was looking at the following for my Verna fluidic, and they look really cool:

http://www.autoglam.in/projector-hea...tor-headlights

From the autoglam website:




They are giving 55W bi-xenon HIDs, and it's supposed to be a straight fit replacement without wire cutting. But I'm not sure about (a) quality and other issues (b) Whether any heating issues could occur due to incorrect projector casing for HIDs. Any feedback is highly appreciated. Thanks!
PearlJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:19   #10458
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,115
Thanked: 3,489 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Hi, can someone -------SNIP-------- feedback is highly appreciated. Thanks!
I see these a lot nowadays, 3-4 of them in my society itself. They were pretty cool some time back, but now they look downright shoddy. Sort of reminiscent of the "my other car is a roller" sticker. They are everywhere, from altos to ecosports.
However, if you do want to go for them, these same ones are the units that are there on the majority of cars. It would be better if you just get morimoto's in the stock headlamps, without this LED thingummies. Solves the purpose and is discreet enough.
mayankk is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 13:22   #10459
BHPian
 
Myth_sx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: KOL, BBSR
Posts: 48
Thanked: 51 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Hi, can someone please comment on the aftermarket kits from autoglam.in? I was looking at the following for my Verna fluidic, and they look really cool:

They are giving 55W bi-xenon HIDs, and it's supposed to be a straight fit replacement without wire cutting. But I'm not sure about (a) quality and other issues (b) Whether any heating issues could occur due to incorrect projector casing for HIDs. Any feedback is highly appreciated. Thanks!
For the price of 44k mentioned in the website, its highly overpriced and way too much bling.
If that is your purpose and expectation, go ahead.

On the other hand, if you want a neat setup with more functional value than bling factor, do look around for some custom retrofitting experts. At around half the above price, you will get some quality stuff as well as plenty of option to customize your headlight assembly.
Myth_sx is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 14:04   #10460
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,306
Thanked: 2,573 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
They are giving 55W bi-xenon HIDs, and it's supposed to be a straight fit replacement without wire cutting. But I'm not sure about (a) quality and other issues (b) Whether any heating issues could occur due to incorrect projector casing for HIDs. Any feedback is highly appreciated. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth_sx View Post
On the other hand, if you want a neat setup with more functional value than bling factor, do look around for some custom retrofitting experts. At around half the above price, you will get some quality stuff as well as plenty of option to customize your headlight assembly.
+1 to Myth_sx. These headlights give more importance to the bling factor than the actual headlight performance. I have seen such after market replicas with colorful DRL's etc., but with very poor light output from the main projector.

If you need good light, the best option would be to retrofit a good projector from a well known source like Morimoto or XenonPlanet, and find a professional retrofitter who will do a good job of retrofitting.

Else it is better to go with 100W halogen upgrade with relay kit.

Another option which may be expensive is to go with OE projector headlights that may be fit in cars sold in other countries.

EDIT: I see that the latest Fluidic Verna comes with projector headlights from factory. Check with the Hyundai workshop if it is possible to fit the OE lights to your Verna.

Last edited by graaja : 23rd May 2017 at 14:08.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 17:09   #10461
BHPian
 
drhoneycake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 269
Thanked: 491 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Anyone tried these Bi-Beam LED Projectors ??? Looking into getting it for one of the cars at home. The advantages that these guys speak of with LED's compared to HID's is

1) Instant on (no warm-up)
2) Longer life (20,000hrs)
3) Uses much less current than HID's.
4) Because of 1, you don't lose the ability to flash.

Here's a comparison video:
drhoneycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 10:20   #10462
BHPian
 
PearlJam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 310
Thanked: 328 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Thanks for all your inputs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
It would be better if you just get morimoto's in the stock headlamps, without this LED thingummies. Solves the purpose and is discreet enough.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth_sx View Post
if you want a neat setup with more functional value than bling factor, do look around for some custom retrofitting experts. At around half the above price, you will get some quality stuff as well as plenty of option to customize your headlight assembly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
If you need good light, the best option would be to retrofit a good projector from a well known source like Morimoto or XenonPlanet, and find a professional retrofitter who will do a good job of retrofitting.

Else it is better to go with 100W halogen upgrade with relay kit.

Another option which may be expensive is to go with OE projector headlights that may be fit in cars sold in other countries.

EDIT: I see that the latest Fluidic Verna comes with projector headlights from factory. Check with the Hyundai workshop if it is possible to fit the OE lights to your Verna.
Just to clarify, I already have the OEM projectors in my Verna 4S. They work pretty well, but it lacks LED DRLs. I have three main requirements, in order of priority:
  1. No wire cutting for the sake of warranty
  2. Add LED DRLs that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Some people put an extra LED strip, which I do not want.
  3. Increase brightness of the OEM projectors. Though they are OK, a little more brightness would do no harm!
The pre-facelift Verna used to have an option for OEM projectors that came along with LED DRLs. But the issues with them are (a) Way too expensive, more than a lakh for a set (b) Doesn't look that great anyway for that price (c) Brightness of LED DRLs is low (I've seen on a couple on the road), and brightness of projectors is same as what I already have.

Upgrading the Halogens to 100w may not be worth it, mainly due to the extra heat and other relay/changes anyway. I may as well move to HIDs in that case.

If I want to only meet my requirement (1) above, then there is also an option of buying the foglamp that has DRLs in it - They involve just a straight replacement of the OEM fog lamps:



But again, these are relatively cheap chinese replacements from aliexpress, and I'm not sure of the brightness of the DRLs, as well as reliability.

Thoughts?
PearlJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 10:52   #10463
Senior - BHPian
 
graaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 1,306
Thanked: 2,573 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlJam View Post
Just to clarify, I already have the OEM projectors in my Verna 4S. They work pretty well, but it lacks LED DRLs. I have three main requirements, in order of priority:
  1. No wire cutting for the sake of warranty
  2. Add LED DRLs that doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Some people put an extra LED strip, which I do not want.
  3. Increase brightness of the OEM projectors. Though they are OK, a little more brightness would do no harm!
The pre-facelift Verna used to have an option for OEM projectors that came along with LED DRLs. But the issues with them are (a) Way too expensive, more than a lakh for a set (b) Doesn't look that great anyway for that price (c) Brightness of LED DRLs is low (I've seen on a couple on the road), and brightness of projectors is same as what I already have.

Upgrading the Halogens to 100w may not be worth it, mainly due to the extra heat and other relay/changes anyway. I may as well move to HIDs in that case.

If I want to only meet my requirement (1) above, then there is also an option of buying the foglamp that has DRLs in it - They involve just a straight replacement of the OEM fog lamps:



But again, these are relatively cheap chinese replacements from aliexpress, and I'm not sure of the brightness of the DRLs, as well as reliability.

Thoughts?
Any aftermarket replica does not have the guarantee to have good looks and performance.

Satisfying all your conditions is very difficult. The only option I can see is to go for those fog lamps with DRLs. I would not recommend any changes to the headlights as you have mentioned that they perform well.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 12:08   #10464
Senior - BHPian
 
Epic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,248
Thanked: 340 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Anyone tried these Bi-Beam LED Projectors ??? Looking into getting it for one of the cars at home. The advantages that these guys speak of with LED's compared to HID's is

1) Instant on (no warm-up)
2) Longer life (20,000hrs)
3) Uses much less current than HID's.
4) Because of 1, you don't lose the ability to flash.

Here's a comparison video:
To be honest, after seeing the video, I feel the HIDs seem to perform better than the LEDs. The HID beam covers a larger area (especially in the center) as compared to the LEDs. I also noticed in the LED set up, a slight delay in the right side bulb when the lights were being flashed at 1m 15s in the video.
Epic is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2017, 17:08   #10465
BHPian
 
me_sid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 298
Thanked: 182 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Epic, +1 to that. I was kind of contemplating in going for LED's, but came across this video. In fact in my earlier generation XUV, I had a pair of Morimotos (HID) fitted, worked extremely well, and that too for almost 2 years without any issues. Spread, intensity was quite good. Only issue is that HID's don't perform like Halogens in the rain. However, I am talking in the perspective of having projectors teamed up with LED.

me_sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 10:19   #10466
BHPian
 
drhoneycake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 269
Thanked: 491 Times
Default Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by me_sid View Post
Epic, +1 to that. I was kind of contemplating in going for LED's, but came across this video. In fact in my earlier generation XUV, I had a pair of Morimotos (HID) fitted, worked extremely well, and that too for almost 2 years without any issues. Spread, intensity was quite good. Only issue is that HID's don't perform like Halogens in the rain. However, I am talking in the perspective of having projectors teamed up with LED.




Agreed with you and Epic

In the video above he plonks an led bulb inside a projector which messes up the optics and hence a poor beam.

What I've asked in my video is with regards to an LED Projector with no bulb, but a led chip inside, similar to the bi-beam headlights of the new fortuner, Ignis, new Dzire. The cutoff seems to be brilliant in the comparison video and hence the question.

I've tried these led bulbs in my Verna's Projector headlights and they're awful. No cutoff, no proper beam, just a white light. I use 35W 4300K HID's now and they are absolutely brilliant.


Sent from my iPhone 6 using Team-BHP
drhoneycake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 11:05   #10467
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 574
Thanked: 176 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

I am looking to upgrade the headlights in my Jett TDI Highline AT. It was manufactured in 2011. I'm thinking of Morimoto Fx-R 3.0 would these work for the car? What would I need to do to install these? I'm open to other suggestions as well. Thanks!
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 13:20   #10468
BHPian
 
T-Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 47
Thanked: 19 Times
Default

Hi, just a thought, why don't you go for Jetta 2014 headlights. I think it should be a direct fit. Cost may be astronomical though.
T-Rex is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2017, 15:12   #10469
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 574
Thanked: 176 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rex View Post
Hi, just a thought, why don't you go for Jetta 2014 headlights. I think it should be a direct fit. Cost may be astronomical though.
Well they are expensive and considering this car is now beginning to age, I really don't want to spend more money than I have to. The lights truly are atrocious and visibility at night is terrible. I don't care for DRLs or fancy looking stuff for this car. Just want to improve visibility.
imp! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st June 2017, 00:55   #10470
BHPian
 
antardaksh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: delhi
Posts: 323
Thanked: 200 Times
Default Re: Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Anyone tried these Bi-Beam LED Projectors ??? Looking into getting it for one of the cars at home.
Hi drhoneycake,

Even I am was looking at this option primarily because we won't have to fiddle with original wiring and deal with high voltage. However I feel this type of product will take time to mature and parts used at the moment might not be OEM spec.

Following are some of the listings from aliexpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/gro...608.0.0.xxQl7z

This one is OEM but isn't available easily and expensive.
http://vip-xenon.com.ua/en/projector...ors-koito.html

Until then I believe HID would be the best option available to us.

Regards.

Last edited by antardaksh : 1st June 2017 at 00:56.
antardaksh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here ravi_28_8 Gadgets, Computers & Software 11245 13th December 2017 13:51
Automobile Insurance Queries? Ask me rjvora_2000 Indian Car Loans & Insurance 3965 11th December 2017 01:20
Formal dressing and tailoring for all occassions (EDIT: Put all your queries here) manaa45 Shifting gears 77 13th November 2017 11:47
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 423 7th October 2017 14:31
The Guitar Thread - Post all Queries,tabs and info here TributE Shifting gears 78 16th December 2016 15:30


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:02.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks