Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2010, 22:30   #3721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro-Idiot View Post
Hi guys,

Getting my new swift on Sunday!

Our review suggests lighting is not good in the car, Upgrade of bulb recomended!

Please advise the correct bulb change for adequate lighting, nothing high fi just the correct fit, am very keen on doing this, since my old maruti 800 has very bad lights, before that my bajaj bike had very bad lights, would be a huge dissapointment if the brand new swift has bad lights.

By the way the snapshot is my fathers new Scorpio (true monster of a vehicle), wondering what my white swift will look like next to it!

Cheers
Stock 60/55W only seem inadequate because of other cars with 100-130W blinding you. However you can try extreme power (phillips) or night breakers (Osram) - both 55/60W but "brighter". Upgrading to 90/100W with a relay will void warranty.
Old 19th February 2010, 22:47   #3722
Senior - BHPian

Running 90/100 w bulbs without relay

I went to the parts shop to get Philips Extreme Power 55/60 w bulbs, but he said the 55/60 w bulbs are no longer marketed by any of the shops, as nobody buys them. Ended up getting Mico Bosch 90/100w bulbs fitted instead. There are no relays and the electrician assured me there would be no damage other than a possible melting of the holders.

Looks like I shall have to get the relays installed now. Which is a good (but reasonably priced) relay and what kind of wiring should I buy?

Also more importantly is there any place in Nashik which will do it? I am driving there tomorrow and would like to get it done asap so as not to compromise the safety.
Old 19th February 2010, 22:53   #3723
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I went to the parts shop to get Philips Extreme Power 55/60 w bulbs, but he said the 55/60 w bulbs are no longer marketed by any of the shops, as nobody buys them. Ended up getting Mico Bosch 90/100w bulbs fitted instead. There are no relays and the electrician assured me there would be no damage other than a possible melting of the holders.

Looks like I shall have to get the relays installed now. Which is a good (but reasonably priced) relay and what kind of wiring should I buy?

Also more importantly is there any place in Nashik which will do it? I am driving there tomorrow and would like to get it done asap so as not to compromise the safety.
get the relay installed ASAP. go for roots relay+ wiring kit . costs around 700 bucks
Old 20th February 2010, 11:58   #3724
BHPian

Currently using Philips Rallye 130/100W H4's for my Swift's headlights.

They provide very bright light, more than sufficient for regular night time hiway runs.

The original upgrade to Philips Rallye 100/90's was done by Motor Plaza Sreekariyam, Trivandrum, who I must say did a bang up job. These were the bulbs I have now upgraded to 130/100 on the same wiring/relay system with no trouble at all.

However, one problem I have is that the distribution on high beam is not really as good as it should be, so that as distance increases, clarity drops markedly. However, at working distances, they are more than good enough. They get very hot, though, so make sure you don't touch the headlight glass for at least 5-10 minutes after switching off your headlights.

One big advantage: no one dares to high-flash me anymore at night. One flash of my new high beams and they are sometimes even forced to stop. I know this is bad ethics, but these people only understand that kind of language.

On a related note, does anyone know how to increase the low-beam reach of the Swift? It is currently so close that driving at any reasonable speed at night is just not safe, especially in Kerala, where local people treat the highways as extensions of their sitting rooms. You will find people chatting in the middle of the highway at night, and no one has lights on their bicycles. I would like for the low beams to extend a little further, say 50 feet instead of the current 30. My 130/100's should easily be able to handle the added distance.

Another thing I found when one of my front fog lights died was that Maruti equips the car with 35W H11's OE, as against the 55W H11's mentioned in the specs section of the manual. So I have now upgraded both bulbs to Philips 55W H11's and am running with those for now. Does anybody have any better bulbs they can suggest?

Last edited by pillainp : 20th February 2010 at 12:02.
Old 20th February 2010, 12:37   #3725
BHPian

Hi,

This is where your experience can really help my lack of knowledge.

As posted earlier I have two HID kits which have busted relays. Getting a new relay wiring kit is now proving to be quite futile.

I spoke to someone else on another forum who said that the relay wasnt quite needed and that the hi/lo would work regardless. Upon asking how, this is what I was told -
Quote:
The kit connects to the stock headlight harness. There are three wires there and basically you have to use a screw driver to pull them out of the connector and switch them until you get the high beams to work. Different cars have different wiring set ups and these kits come wired only one way in the connector.
He also gave me these 2 links where I could get some more information -

How true/not true is this and what are the potential risk I am taking without using the relay wiring harness? Both bulbs are 50w hi/lo; one being 4300k and the other 3000k working absolutely fine except for the hi/lo function at times.

Thanks for your help in advance!
Old 23rd February 2010, 10:03   #3726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
get the relay installed ASAP. go for roots relay+ wiring kit . costs around 700 bucks
Thanks for the advice, I got the relay and wiring (Hella) installed in Nashik as we reached there in the morning. Total cost Rs. 950/-. The kit includes relay, wiring, holders as well as separate fuses for both lights.

My combination switch is not working, so high beams are disabled. Had some trouble driving at night only on low beams but the light seems to be ok.
Old 25th February 2010, 14:03   #3727
BHPian

Hi! Everyone!!
could anyone tell me how is P8 HID Kit??
P8 is being supplied by Amritras India!! and they claim to have used German Technology in their HID Kits!!
any reviews??
a pair of H4 H/L costs 7200/- with 1 year B/W
what all i want to know about is, how is the quality of light throw??
Old 25th February 2010, 16:41   #3728
BHPian

Right hand side, head lights on my zen has lost the rubber seal (the round rubber thingy which seals the bulb and bulb holder) beneath the hood..
Now the issue is some dust has enter the silver/ chrome part of the headlight..
The vision is impacted at night..can some one please help in this regard? how to remove the dust??

I tried getting the rubber seal, however, I was told that it only comes wit a new head light, I don want to buy a new head light just for a rubber seal...
Old 25th February 2010, 18:39   #3729
BHPian

try some insulation tape and get the lens cleaned up ASAP
Old 1st March 2010, 10:13   #3730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastFieast View Post
I know I should have search the thread, but searing around 250 page is very difficult.

Will really appreciate if someone suggest what should be the best upgrade for new ANHC, whether 90/100 or 100/130 and from which company and which company for relay.

Also what should be the ideal price for them.
Finally I upgraded to Philips Rally 90/100 with Hella Relay Kit having 6months warranty, I must say results are awesome. I got what I wanted from this setup.

Thanks Team-BHP.
Old 1st March 2010, 13:25   #3731
BHPian

Hi experts

Can someone tell me where I can get Hella Gold 100\90 in bangalore ?. Is it written Gold on the package anywhere ?. I bought hella for my hyundai verna crdi and not satisfied. any help ? Thanks in advance
Old 1st March 2010, 19:52   #3732
BHPian

Hi guys, I have a query here and am sure the answer is posted in this thread, but going through 200+ pages is difficult like what TheBeast said. I have a Zen which currently has standard bright halogen lamps. I want to upgrade them to the white lights that are seen on some cars like Skodas, Civics etc. I think they are Xenon lamps. Could someone please shed some light as to where I can get this done in Bangalore? What is the approximate cost of getting this? Do I have to make battery changes? Kindly revert!
Old 2nd March 2010, 00:29   #3733
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Hi guys, I have a query here and am sure the answer is posted in this thread, but going through 200+ pages is difficult like what TheBeast said. I have a Zen which currently has standard bright halogen lamps. I want to upgrade them to the white lights that are seen on some cars like Skodas, Civics etc. I think they are Xenon lamps. Could someone please shed some light as to where I can get this done in Bangalore? What is the approximate cost of getting this? Do I have to make battery changes? Kindly revert!
You've got two options:

1. Philips Diamond Vision Halogen Bulbs, Cost: I am not sure but around Rs 1000-1500/-

2. An HID Kit, Cost: Around Rs: 6000/- but this is the real deal. If focussed correctly results are way better.

Hope it helps.
Old 2nd March 2010, 00:53   #3734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Buddy, I'll suggest you to stick with the stock specs as the Diamond Vision is useless when it comes to visibility and range. During dark streches, rains, fog and driving in high-beams along with others these white bulbs fail.

For HID, getting the focus correct is the key to successful installation but a Projector is what is required to ensure optimum visibility. This involves more expenditure.
Old 2nd March 2010, 09:34   #3735
BHPian

Quote:
white halogens are useless in rains . you would need to go for HID+projector setup which would be costly.

Most Viewed