Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 9th January 2012, 20:27   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Car Vacuum Cleaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
^^ I have been using the Black & Decker CarVac for about 8 months now. I am satisfied with it, but it can never match the suction offered by a conventional vacuum cleaner. The only reason I ever bought it was because:

1. It could be used without a power socket, which is a boon since I do not reside in a ground floor accommodation.

2. I needed a vacuum cleaner for routine cleaning, like may be once a week.

3. It came from a reputed company, & that's why I paid a significantly higher price compared to a non-branded product.

I hope this can be of some help to you.
Thanks Blaskfire_9, i agree that a carvac can never match the conventional vaccuum cleaner and also agree that not relying on the power socket is a boon.
Just realised that you seem to have had a mind change as earlier in your post of Dec 2010 you had stated that you would go for a conventional vac that uses power socket, any reason for that?
Nevertheless, i have a small kid that makes use of a vac for the car essential, moreover my neighbor and I plan to share the same together hence its going to cost half to each of us
Do not want to risk with any un-branded stuff, hence will look for a good recent model of Black and Decker and order the same.
How much did you buy it for and what is the warranty / repair arrangement?

Last edited by mahen_narang : 9th January 2012 at 20:34. Reason: checked old post from blackfire_9 and updated the post accordingly
mahen_narang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 20:32   #62
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, there is only model from Black & Decker that's sold as CarVac, at least in India.

I got it for somehere around 2400 INR/- I was getting it cheaper from some electronic shop (for about 2200 INR) but decided to get it through a neighbor who used to work in B & D, just to ensure genuine stuff.

The warranty was for 1 year & the arrangement was to repair it in case of any issues, unless of course, the fault was such that it couldn't be repaired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahen_narang View Post
How much did you buy it for and what is the warranty / repair arrangement?

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 9th January 2012 at 20:34.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 10:47   #63
BHPian

As I was looking for a small vacuum cleaner for my car that operates with power from the car's battery, I bumped on this thread. I'm looking forward to buy the Black & Decker 1205 model. I just wanted to know your guys long term ownership experience? Is it worthy to go for this one? I would go for it if it would at-least work for the next 2 years with satisfying results. Anyone having experience using this particular model?
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 11:25   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
As I was looking for a small vacuum cleaner for my car that operates with power from the car's battery, I bumped on this thread. I'm looking forward to buy the Black & Decker 1205 model. I just wanted to know your guys long term ownership experience? Is it worthy to go for this one? I would go for it if it would at-least work for the next 2 years with satisfying results. Anyone having experience using this particular model?
I had one for a short period of time and i sold it off. While the Vacuum cleaner was good enough to pick up dust and light debris on the dashboard it was underpowered to do any real cleaning job like a home vacuum, which is to be expected. I sold it off because i found it cumbersome to use and not worth the hassle.

If you're looking for a portable battery operated vacuum cleaner which can also be used in a car do check out Dewalt portable wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It works on Dewalt 12-18 volt power tool battery and AC mains. But its a lot more expensive.

Or if you want the vacuum to do a decent cleaning and intend to use it only at home then go for a small vacuum like Eureka Trendy Nano.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 11:31   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As sankar pointed out, it's better to use a light weight home vacuum cleaner. I bought Eureka Forbes Easy Clean with the intention of using only for my car. It's light weight and the cable is pretty long. Suction is very good for car standards and does the job really well. You can get it for around 2.5k.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 11:35   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post

If you're looking for a portable battery operated vacuum cleaner which can also be used in a car do check out Dewalt portable wet/dry vacuum cleaner. It works on Dewalt 12-18 volt power tool battery and AC mains. But its a lot more expensive.
Is the Dewalt small enough and I would assume that it would work with the power from the car's battery. Using a home vacuum cleaner is not an option for me just because that I cannot find a suitable external power source to use it in my car.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 13:15   #67
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Is the Dewalt small enough and I would assume that it would work with the power from the car's battery. Using a home vacuum cleaner is not an option for me just because that I cannot find a suitable external power source to use it in my car.
Just wanted to check with you regarding your decision. Did you get the DeWalt or Black & Decker ?
My old one (chinese brand bought from Metro) died so looking to buy a new one. So far I've looked at the Black & Decker AV1205 (1860) and ACV1205 (Rs.2520). Some differences between the two (dust bowl capacity & more accessories in costlier model ACV 1205) but given the price difference, I plan to go with the cheaper AV1205.
*today's prices from flipkart

Last edited by NPV : 15th December 2013 at 13:31.
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 18:23   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Just wanted to check with you regarding your decision. Did you get the DeWalt or Black & Decker ?
My old one (chinese brand bought from Metro) died so looking to buy a new one. So far I've looked at the Black & Decker AV1205 (1860) and ACV1205 (Rs.2520). Some differences between the two (dust bowl capacity & more accessories in costlier model ACV 1205) but given the price difference, I plan to go with the cheaper AV1205.
*today's prices from flipkart
Yes, I went for the Black & Decker 1205-XJ 12V model. It does not pull out the dust particles that are deep inside the carpet's nylon fibers. You need to apply a bit of force and repeated tries to get it out. It however works well on the seats, corners, ac vents.
joe1980 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2013, 18:48   #69
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, I went for the Black & Decker 1205-XJ 12V model. It does not pull out the dust particles that are deep inside the carpet's nylon fibers. You need to apply a bit of force and repeated tries to get it out. It however works well on the seats, corners, ac vents.
Thanks!
What accessories did you get with this ? Is there a bag included too and where did you buy it from, price ? Sorry for too many questions
NPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 16:25   #70
BHPian

Saw this pretty neat German Vacuum Cleaner (Defort) in AutoCar Magazine and then ordered online on snapdeal....Its really nice, suction is good and the price is unbelievable (Bought it for just Rs. 753/-) !!! It also promises a 1 year warranty and got a nice professional company warranty card and user manual along ! Now also planning to buy the Tire Inflator which is also priced great at 1064/-. Amazing !!!!!

http://www.snapdeal.com/brand/defort-germany
Attached Thumbnails
Car Vacuum Cleaner-defort.jpg  

ashm99 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2014, 16:59   #71
Senior - BHPian

B&D's ACV1205 is currently retailing at 1862/-, a great price in my opinion. All the Certified Buyer reviews for ACV1205 are positive on flipkart which instills some confidence in me.

Folks who have bought B&D's vacuum cleaners earlier, how has it been fairing all this while?

What's strange is that AC1205 is listed at 1899/- even though its an inferior model when compared to ACV1205 which is listed for 1862/-.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2014, 14:28   #72

Just ordered the Black & Decker 1205 ACV from Flipkart today. Delivery expected in about a week.
NOTE: You get the best price if you order it from your phone app, rather than using your computer. (There is a promotion running to get you to use the phone app). After a further 150 discount, final price Rs. 1869.
Will post once it is here and I have used it.
Sumain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2014, 10:10   #73
BHPian

I have purchased a B&D car vacuum cleaner a couple of months ago from Flipkart. It is indeed good and with lot of attachments. No paper bag inside and very easy to clean. IMO, it is sufficient to clean your carpets but don't compare it with domestic vacuum cleaners. I also got a free multipurpose tool kit with of extremely good quality. It comes with a carry pouch but it is bit difficult to arrange the vacuum cleaner with all its attachments. Its VFM. Model is ACV1205 comes with two years warranty.
Regards.

Last edited by tasuray : 19th April 2014 at 10:20.
tasuray is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2014, 07:41   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
B&D's ACV1205 is currently retailing at 1862/-, a great price in my opinion. All the Certified Buyer reviews for ACV1205 are positive on flipkart which instills some confidence in me.

Folks who have bought B&D's vacuum cleaners earlier, how has it been fairing all this while?

What's strange is that AC1205 is listed at 1899/- even though its an inferior model when compared to ACV1205 which is listed for 1862/-.
Thanks. I ordered the same and received it yesterday evening. Build quality looks nice and the 2 years assurance from black and decker adds to confidence.

One question I had though:
In manual, it's mentioned that the vacuum cleaner should NOT be used while engine is running as it may lower the life of product. Is that true? I was earlier planning to keep engine running as I was assuming that there would be lot of load on battery otherwise. I do not plan to use it more than 20-25mins for sure.

Also, if I need to go via the route of not keeping the engine running, is there any guideline to let engine run for few minutes before using battery in engine off mode? This is specially in morning time.

Last edited by neel911 : 24th April 2014 at 07:43.
neel911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 16:04   #75
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I plan to get a regular home use hand held vacuum cleaner and use it for the car as well. However, I will run it off the battery using a belkin converter which I have. Is that advisable for a 800 watt unit? Can I go ahead?

This is the unit I've selected by the way: http://www.flipkart.com/black-decker...3-16ec99ca612a
Red Liner is online now   Reply With Quote