Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories

Old 10th January 2011, 20:14   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: H&R Lowering springs from Germany for my Maruti AStar!

The springs are installed. Saw the car and i liked the way it sits now. There is a slight problem where the right rear wheel is touching the inner fender, so its getting sorted right now. They took the car for a drive and said they really liked the way its holding the line now! Said the car feels PLANTED! I didn't drive it today, i'll drive once the wheel scrub issue is sorted out. Everything's fine at the front end though. really appreciate the guys in taking the extra effort and enthu getting the scrub sorted out.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 20:47   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Is it hitting in resting position or full travel? Pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
GC of Astar is 170mm
GC of the Alto 09 is 150mm

Yes the 35mm drop is for the Alto 09, and i can expect a drop of around 55mm on my car. Like i said the slight worry i have is for the dampers. But Bilstein does have a dampers suitable for the Alto 09 as i found out, but the problem is that they haven't listed it in their website and the guys who have it is not willing to sell it or ship it, poor me

You can see that in this PDF file. Those looks like entry level Bilstein dampers to me, anyway by the time i wear out the stock dampers i will try to source an aftermarket one or try to get the stock dampers worked upon.
1.3" is quite a big drop. You are gonna have a big reduction in jounce travel so you have to be careful on potholes otherwise the shock piston will bottom out. Also, I hope the Astar has camber adjustment.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 21:01   #18
Senior - BHPian

sankar any specific reason opting for the lowering springs ? I remember fellow member vikram_d had opted for lowering springs from eibach or so and then changed back to stock. As mentioned vikram was having issue's with the GC.

Considering the fact that the car is lowered by 1.3" , isn't it quite a bit of a compromise? Also what have you planned on the dampeners front. I am sure unless you do something they are bound to wear our prematurely. Did you consider getting strut braces also installed?
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 21:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

I hope the car's being tested with 3 adults in the back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
Also, I hope the Astar has camber adjustment.
Oh yeah. AFAIK, I don't think there is camber adjustment. He's gonna have to do the wheel alignment to know the change in camber. The variation would be around 0.5 degrees(negative) from stock.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 21:54   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i said the slight worry i have is for the dampers. But Bilstein does have a dampers suitable for the Alto 09 as i found out, but the problem is that they haven't listed it in their website and the guys who have it is not willing to sell it or ship it, poor me
More than likely, they took an existing unit and modified it for their project car.

BTW you need some nice 14 or 15" low profile rubber to compliment your hot setup.

Last edited by Mpower : 11th January 2011 at 03:36.
Old 10th January 2011, 23:19   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Is it hitting in resting position or full travel? Pics?

1.3" is quite a big drop. You are gonna have a big reduction in jounce travel so you have to be careful on potholes otherwise the shock piston will bottom out. Also, I hope the Astar has camber adjustment.
Not at full travel. I used to get this scrubbing even before the lowering springs especially if i have a passenger in the back and go over an undulation/dip at speed. But there is no rubbing on good roads. The rub is to be blamed on the 185section tyre, i should've opted for 175. But anyway once it gets sorted out 185 section will be fine with or without lowering springs. Before the springs i never cared for that scrub as i rarely have more than 2 people in the car at any given time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
sankar any specific reason opting for the lowering springs ? I remember fellow member vikram_d had opted for lowering springs from eibach or so and then changed back to stock. As mentioned vikram was having issue's with the GC.

Considering the fact that the car is lowered by 1.3" , isn't it quite a bit of a compromise? Also what have you planned on the dampeners front. I am sure unless you do something they are bound to wear our prematurely. Did you consider getting strut braces also installed?
GC will drop, i'm okay with that. Mostly i like the look and the lowered stance and for the improvement it brings in wrt handling.

I'll change the dampers, but later. No plans of getting strut braces yet, only because they're not readily available, and i can't get one made here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
I hope the car's being tested with 3 adults in the back.

Oh yeah. AFAIK, I don't think there is camber adjustment. He's gonna have to do the wheel alignment to know the change in camber. The variation would be around 0.5 degrees(negative) from stock.
Afaik, there is no camber adjustment possible, i guess the ony adjustment possible is toe in and out. For wildly lowered cars a camber kit is recommended to bring it back to acceptable level. Will get the alignment checked, will know for sure then.

Quote:
More then likely, they took an existing unit and modified it for their project car.

BTW you need some nice 14 or 15" low profile rubber to compliment your hot setup.
Good news is that i sent them a second mail today, after they didn't respond to the first mail i sent months ago, is asked them for the Bilstein part number if they can't sell the dampers and voila they agreed to sell it. The bad news is that the cost of one front damper is around 280 Pounds and for one rear damper is 143 Pounds. Which is very expensive so i guess i'll wait

Last edited by Sankar : 10th January 2011 at 23:21.
Old 11th January 2011, 20:29   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Got the car this afternoon and took it for a test drive on the Chaka-Shangumugham road since it have some good corners. The car holds the road like its on rails, the feeling is amazing, i picked a line through the corner and the car holds it, doesn't need any correction to keep it there. Response to steering is sharper. Tyre scrub was taken care of very well and there is no scrub at any point of time. Previously the rear end tended to be a little skitttish when cornering hard on a rough section, now even that has vanished. There is a rough left hander patch which i take almost daily and today the rear end was much tighter. The only con so far has been that the ride has become a bit bumpy, which is expected.

The length of the stock spring and the H&R springs are almost the same, but the stock springs doesn't look like they're progressive, where as H&R is. The first couple of coils is easier to press on the H&R than the stock, but H&R gets stiffer as its compressed. I'll post the pics of the stock springs once i clean it.

H&R Lowering springs from Germany for my Maruti AStar!-11012011207s.jpg

H&R Lowering springs from Germany for my Maruti AStar!-11012011213.jpg

Many thanks to Midhun for taking extra effort in sorting out the issues
Old 12th January 2011, 19:10   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Car looks racy! but not superlow Did you measure fender-ground distance before and after?
Quote:
which i take almost daily and today the rear end was much tighter. The only con so far has been that the ride has become a bit bumpy, which is expected.
)
Bumpy like omni? Is it jiggly meaning does the body oscillate for a second after passing over a bump/pothole?
Old 12th January 2011, 20:03   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Car looks racy! but not superlow Did you measure fender-ground distance before and after?
Bumpy like omni? Is it jiggly meaning does the body oscillate for a second after passing over a bump/pothole?
Yes not superlow, man that would've been too bad for a daily drive. I didn't measure the clearance before and after the change. But here is a picture of the car i took on a different day at the same place.

H&R Lowering springs from Germany for my Maruti AStar!-astar.jpg

Bumpy like a Gypsy i drove a long time ago, its hard too. No it doesn't jiggle or oscillate.

Here's a comparison (sorry not side by side) of the stock and H&R springs.

Stock
H&R Lowering springs from Germany for my Maruti AStar!-p1120389.jpg
H&R
H&R Lowering springs from Germany for my Maruti AStar!-08012011192.jpg

Notice the difference in no of coils and the way the springs are wound?

Last edited by Sankar : 12th January 2011 at 20:18.
Old 13th January 2011, 10:29   #25
BHPian

Nice mod.. Just the spring or the shocks too?
16v100bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 10:53   #26
Team-BHP Support

Super gangsta look! actually some angles looks like a Punto too!!!

Anyways very stealth mod and me like it. Do keep updating the report and don't overdo it on roads!!
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 13:16   #27
Senior - BHPian

sankar the difference is hardly noticeable man,car looks superb with those alloys too. In-fact I think you gotto get those wheel arches filled, they still look a tad empty in-spite of the lowering springs being installed.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 17:06   #28
Senior - BHPian

the difference is subtle yet very sleek. The stance looks more cat-like now, ready to pounce and the lower stance matches with the front grill. The look from the front 3/4ths seems much more rounded and matches a Punto.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 17:21   #29
Senior - BHPian

185/60/R14 or 175/60R14 for hot looks.
But, whatever ride's left will be gone.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2011, 19:01   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16v100bhp View Post
Nice mod.. Just the spring or the shocks too?
Just the springs, can't afford the dampers now :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Super gangsta look! actually some angles looks like a Punto too!!!

Anyways very stealth mod and me like it. Do keep updating the report and don't overdo it on roads!!
Thank you thank you Sure will update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
sankar the difference is hardly noticeable man,car looks superb with those alloys too. In-fact I think you gotto get those wheel arches filled, they still look a tad empty in-spite of the lowering springs being installed.
Thanks man! But the difference is there, the difference may not have been noticeable due to the pics were from different side. The front wheel arch is filled it may look that way due to 13" wheel and larger profile tyre. This combination is infact taller than stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
the difference is subtle yet very sleek. The stance looks more cat-like now, ready to pounce and the lower stance matches with the front grill. The look from the front 3/4ths seems much more rounded and matches a Punto.
Thanks man! Yes the 3/4th look is nice, wish the designers had made the rear end a little more exciting though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
185/60/R14 or 175/60R14 for hot looks.
But, whatever ride's left will be gone.
Yes, when these tyres wear out my next change would be a 14" wheel with 185 section tyres. 185/60/14 is the plus size which will match with the stock specs the most closely.