Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2011, 17:23   #76
Senior - BHPian
 
manishalive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,424
Thanked: 703 Times
Default Re: Made a car out of scrap

Hey tejas,

Nice to see your project, for your effort. I relate to it more as this reminds me of my Project in 1998, 4 wheeler car out of 3W Bajaj RE Autoriksha.

The approach to chassis building was very similar of what I see here. We used the frame and rear drive train from the Bajaj Autoricksha. For the front we utilized 2 front steering forks of the Bajaj Auto coupled togather witha rack and pinion steering of maruti. The brakes were all hydraulic with twin master cylinders working cross ways.

The self starting was handled out of a unit from LML Vespa. A maruti van steering wheel and combination switch assembly was used. The gear shifting was acheived by way of using the same handle bar pivoted to steering column and having a 90 degree handle attached in the end to move through gears.

As for the body we did simple square 2 seater open top body work, on the lines of golf car. We lacked sincerely in that department.

That was my dream, we had spent countless hours (days and nights) working on that. And as I write this all those moments come in front of my eyes.

I still do remember the first test drive that we took (me being the driver) and were able to achieve a speed of 50 kmph in 4th gear, awesome.

In those days there was no digital camera, I have got few images back at my parents place. I will bring and scan them for you.

Sorry that I did all the blabbing about my project, but could not control my emotion. Over the weekend I will go through your thread thoroughly. Seeing the pictures only made me write this much. Imagine what will full reading do.
manishalive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 12:13   #77
BHPian
 
Tejas Ingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 272
Thanked: 301 Times
Default Re: Made a car out of scrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil M View Post
Nice Job
I Understand the financial problems that stopped you from completing the Hybrid car, but did you approach any one to sponsor your project or help you in its completetion, if not, do try that.
Can you elaborate on the course that you are currently doing the advanced diploma, it sounds interesting
I have a couple of sponsors. One is Autobat accumulator who supplied me with batteries for the Hybrid project. The other is Curtis inst who has given me Motor and the controller at 50% cost. But I managed these sponsors when I was in diploma. I dont think anyone will sponsor me now unless the car is used for some event.
I am doing Advanced Diploma in Automotive Mechatronics which is a joint venture between Mercedes Benz and Govt Poly Pune. Its a one year practical based course which deals with automotive mechanicals, electronics and different systems. The elligibility is diploma or degree in mechanical, automobiles or electronics. We have two Mercedes C-Class for training. PM me if you need further details.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Tejas, both sound good. With the first one - change it to 1toNV. 12NV sounds like (TwelveNV). Just a suggestion. Even the second name is good.

So, any updates on the ride so far? If you have, please post pictures.
All the best.
Thats a good suggestion, also considering one2NV.
No progress as yet, but I'll show you a sketch of my plans which I'll be executing soon.


Quote:
Originally Posted by manishalive View Post
Hey tejas,

Nice to see your project, for your effort. I relate to it more as this reminds me of my Project in 1998, 4 wheeler car out of 3W Bajaj RE Autoriksha.

The approach to chassis building was very similar of what I see here. We used the frame and rear drive train from the Bajaj Autoricksha. For the front we utilized 2 front steering forks of the Bajaj Auto coupled togather witha rack and pinion steering of maruti. The brakes were all hydraulic with twin master cylinders working cross ways.

The self starting was handled out of a unit from LML Vespa. A maruti van steering wheel and combination switch assembly was used. The gear shifting was acheived by way of using the same handle bar pivoted to steering column and having a 90 degree handle attached in the end to move through gears.

As for the body we did simple square 2 seater open top body work, on the lines of golf car. We lacked sincerely in that department.

That was my dream, we had spent countless hours (days and nights) working on that. And as I write this all those moments come in front of my eyes.

I still do remember the first test drive that we took (me being the driver) and were able to achieve a speed of 50 kmph in 4th gear, awesome.

In those days there was no digital camera, I have got few images back at my parents place. I will bring and scan them for you.

Sorry that I did all the blabbing about my project, but could not control my emotion. Over the weekend I will go through your thread thoroughly. Seeing the pictures only made me write this much. Imagine what will full reading do.
I share the same emotions as you. Do upload the pics of your ride as soon as possible.
Tejas Ingle is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2011, 13:17   #78
Senior - BHPian
 
selfdrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 2,698
Thanked: 2,113 Times
Default Re: Made a car out of scrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
I have a couple of sponsors. One is Autobat accumulator who supplied me with batteries for the Hybrid project. The other is Curtis inst who has given me Motor and the controller at 50% cost. But I managed these sponsors when I was in diploma. I dont think anyone will sponsor me now unless the car is used for some event.

Thats a good suggestion, also considering one2NV.
No progress as yet, but I'll show you a sketch of my plans which I'll be executing soon.
Tejas, the fact that you are getting more responses for the NV name says that this is more popular than the other one. I agree with Swanand here; try to get the name to look different from 12 (twelve)

By the way, if you dont mind can you share your sponsorship requirements? I dont know what exactly you require, but you know someone knows someone else and anything could work out anywhere. Of course, feel free to send a PM if that is better and it is cool if you dont feel like sharing too!

Last edited by selfdrive : 11th August 2011 at 13:18.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th August 2011, 16:39   #79
BHPian
 
Tejas Ingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 272
Thanked: 301 Times
Default Re: Made a car out of scrap

This is what I have planned for the car. It will be made using mainly fibre sheets and metal for the floor. This is a low cost design which wont require any moulding or denting stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Made a car out of scrap-dsc06534res.jpg  

Tejas Ingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 13:26   #80
Senior - BHPian
 
silverado's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Mumbai-Pune
Posts: 1,012
Thanked: 636 Times
Default Re: Made a car out of scrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
This is what I have planned for the car. It will be made using mainly fibre sheets and metal for the floor. This is a low cost design which wont require any moulding or denting stuff.

I would like to know the purpose of this design.
Aesthetic / practical?

Your car looks great as it is.

Your design looks lean and mean, but we will get a better idea if you can draw a Front and side view rather than a 3D image.

Is it possible to fit Wego's 12" wheels?
Those are alloys and will really add to look of your car.
Not sure if it can bear the weight.
silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 17:49   #81
BHPian
 
Tejas Ingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 272
Thanked: 301 Times
Default Re: Made a car out of scrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
I would like to know the purpose of this design.
Aesthetic / practical?

Your car looks great as it is.

Your design looks lean and mean, but we will get a better idea if you can draw a Front and side view rather than a 3D image.

Is it possible to fit Wego's 12" wheels?
Those are alloys and will really add to look of your car.
Not sure if it can bear the weight.
I am unable to drive the car around more frequently in its present form. Also when I will drive it after giving it a body, it should look appealing. So the purpose is both practical and aesthetics. I would be able to use it on internal roads for transport or carrying stuff around once I get a body.
It wont be possible to upsize the wheels because then the engine will require a lot of torque to drive the car. I'll have to retain the same wheel size. Since I am using light fibre sheets, it wont be very heavy. It will deter the performance a bit though.
I'll upload orthographic images ASAP.
Tejas Ingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 18:43   #82
BHPian
 
1self's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Pune
Posts: 627
Thanked: 266 Times
Default Re: Made a car out of scrap

Tejas, I think you have a great design! I would like you to add some side bars on both sides for additional protection & safety.
1self is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 23:27   #83
Senior - BHPian
 
rajeev k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Emerging Metro
Posts: 3,306
Thanked: 1,730 Times
Default Re: Made a car out of scrap

You have got your basic work right. Start building it and as you proceed you may be able to innovate a lot further. providing certain protective strips for personnel safety as aired by 1self, would be fine. Hope you would shift a gear and accelerate. Success would be yours. Details on finer aspects would be posted.
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2011, 23:37   #84
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: Made a car out of scrap

I would go by what most folks have articulated, lets not go the composite/metal sheet way. The car already looks beautiful. I feel additional coverage may have negative effect.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 12:19   #85
BHPian
 
Tejas Ingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 272
Thanked: 301 Times
Default Re: Made a car out of scrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1self View Post
Tejas, I think you have a great design! I would like you to add some side bars on both sides for additional protection & safety.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
You have got your basic work right. Start building it and as you proceed you may be able to innovate a lot further. providing certain protective strips for personnel safety as aired by 1self, would be fine. Hope you would shift a gear and accelerate. Success would be yours. Details on finer aspects would be posted.
Yeah, I am thinking of some more ideas. The rear design is not yet finalised. I am also thinking about the bars on the sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
I would go by what most folks have articulated, lets not go the composite/metal sheet way. The car already looks beautiful. I feel additional coverage may have negative effect.
I am not able to use the car like this. I always need someone to escort me if I have to drive it for some distance. Besides, the body will be screwed to the chassis, so we can always make changes or remove stuff if we dont like it.

Here's a photoshop image to give you an idea. Excuse me for some mistakes. Have made it in a hurry. Still working on the side view.
Attached Thumbnails
Made a car out of scrap-dsc06562-copyres.jpg  

Tejas Ingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2011, 13:42   #86
BHPian
 
tantragna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 225
Thanked: 23 Times
Default Re: Made a car out of scrap

Hi Tejas, the design looks good. I think you better make the roll cage bigger than the seating area for better protection range & also put a cross bar at the corner of the roll bar for head protection (if any roll happens, wish not!)

Suggesting this roll cage design for better safety. Start the roll cage from the suspension top for better rigidity & strength. All the best!
Attached Thumbnails
Made a car out of scrap-dsc06534res.jpg  

tantragna is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 12:49   #87
Senior - BHPian
 
Swanand Inamdar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,648
Thanked: 573 Times
Default Re: Made a car out of scrap

Tejas, avoid complicating things. Stick to the basic roll cage and other safety features. I liked the design that @tantragna has drawn in the above picture.

Upload a better image of the design, thus giving us an idea of what you can do.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2011, 14:32   #88
BHPian
 
Tejas Ingle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 272
Thanked: 301 Times
Default Re: Made a car out of scrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantragna View Post
Hi Tejas, the design looks good. I think you better make the roll cage bigger than the seating area for better protection range & also put a cross bar at the corner of the roll bar for head protection (if any roll happens, wish not!)

Suggesting this roll cage design for better safety. Start the roll cage from the suspension top for better rigidity & strength. All the best!
I have put the bend since otherwise the bar comes directly in front of the driver. But I am trying to eliminate the bend. Starting the roll cage at suspension is a good suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Tejas, avoid complicating things. Stick to the basic roll cage and other safety features. I liked the design that @tantragna has drawn in the above picture.

Upload a better image of the design, thus giving us an idea of what you can do.
I am planning to put on a roll cage, flooring, fuel tank and lighting which is necessary stuff. Apart from these I have added the fibre panels to resemble a body. I wont be going for moulding or major fabrication. will be just cutting readymade sheets, bending them, and screwing them together. What do you think about that? If it is going to create some problems, I'll keep the car naked.
Tejas Ingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 18:14   #89
BHPian
 
UB_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: M'lore-ROD
Posts: 73
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Made a car out of scrap

Great work Tejas. I appreciate your dedication towards your dream. Many a times it happens that after college we hardly get time to give a better shape to our projects (may be because we are too happy that we cleared the subject and are out of the college. In fact my project of electric two-wheeler is untouched after my engineering).

Now coming to your design, the main function of the frame is to enhance safety. In my opinion more cross bars will improve the design in terms of safety. Hence sometimes we need to compromise on the structure looks. For a concept like yours, it is really necessary that the structure is slightly bigger than the chassis itself. Looks like you have concentrated more on the top side than on the sides. Do improve the design on the side walls as well. I found a structure(online) where you might get some ideas for your new improved designs.

Name:  cage.JPG
Views: 1046
Size:  39.0 KB

Try to cover even the engine with this structure. This will also help you when you design sheet metal for the body aesthetics. Another key point is to make sure you have more of curved joints in the structure than sharp bent joints. The stress distribution is even in curved joints, minimizing the chances of failure at joints.

Waiting to see from you some more improved sketches on the structure.

-UB
UB_007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 18:00   #90
BHPian
 
UB_007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: M'lore-ROD
Posts: 73
Thanked: 48 Times
Default Re: Made a car out of scrap

Hey Tejas,
Quite some time that you posted on this thread.
Is your project still on? Can you share some of your concepts on the structure?
A bit curious to know the project status.
-UB
UB_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I love title Blue and one more is comming!Its "Blue Lady"7 star cruise ship for scrap ECM Shifting gears 1 22nd June 2015 20:33
Car made out of PU-Foam Sarvodaya The International Automotive Scene 7 7th October 2009 07:18
any mahindra classic sent to scrap??? bdn317 Shifting gears 2 3rd February 2008 11:54
How Do I Restore A Scrap Fiat ollie Modifications & Accessories 2 31st August 2006 16:35
Scrap Rx135/RXZ needed in mumbai. cbr1000f Shifting gears 0 1st May 2006 11:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks