Team-BHP - Foldable flight trays (like in Xylo)
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Foldable flight trays (like in Xylo) (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/96237-foldable-flight-trays-like-xylo.html)

Any suggestions on where one can get foldable flight tray accessory in Bangalore. I would like to install it on Innova captain seats. Refer pic from Xylo website. Has anyone tried this for Innova and is it actually feasible? TIA.

Even i am looking one for my safari. There was on in reliance store, it needs to hooked on the head rest of front seat. Dint like it.
In fact i was also looking similar to flight tray, which can be used even for a laptop.

What's the point of these trays? I don't think you should bother:

- You already have other cubicles to hold the water bottles.

- Can't keep food or glasses on these trays as Indian roads, well, aren't perfect.

- In case of a collision, such a tray can seriously injure rear passengers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2236435)
What's the point of these trays? I don't think you should bother:

- You already have other cubicles to hold the water bottles.

- Can't keep food or glasses on these trays as Indian roads, well, aren't perfect.

i am looking for working my laptop while travelling in city. its not convenient to keep it on lap for long time.
I use transit time to reply mails and other technical queries and of course browse t-bhp too.

Do you mean like this

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...gottitude.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by v&v (Post 2236506)
i am looking for working my laptop while travelling in city. its not convenient to keep it on lap for long time.
I use transit time to reply mails and other technical queries and of course browse t-bhp too.

I suggest a folding laptop tray. I have one like this in black plastic for use at home. And As GTO mentioned, it's a safety hazard, make ure you are well buckled anytime you use this. May be move the front seat as far as possible to create extra room.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO (Post 2236435)

Valid point. Surely will rethink. Let me also share why I brought it up in the first place. I assumed on nice roads like NH47 or GQ which is what I usually explore and almost always driving in the day at safe steady speeds, it might be good for kids who like to munch/snack or sketch/draw or even play one of those magnetic board games. Other motive, gets the best behaviour out on a drive ;)

I guess there are other options to a tray one may consider, now that you have raised the saftey issue. Use the trays only when parked along a roadside. Or when cruising on open stretches of GQ like roads. Alternative is to try different designs and not fold out trays. For e.g. a light flat board that rests on the armrests. Hmmm! not sure if that will work. Saw some pics of such trays/baskets. Maybe a custom one can be made that just sits on the arm rests of the captain seats, over the gap, and wont harm anyone except for 'accidental' spillage.

Well, whatever the solution. I will surely worry about saftey of these contraptions and then take a call. Thanks GTO.

@vivekiny2k: This wooden foldable table looks very elegantl. It reminds me of one Bertie Wooster being served breakfast in bed brought in on a lovely breakfast tray. How cool! You surely gave me an idea. :thumbs up

I think if somebody would like to go in for a customized trays that are fabricated with reference to the arm rests being installed in the airplanes business class seats(Old styled ones) would be good . For example How about a slot in the arm rest to start with . And two small pieces of wood/metal hinged together to fold and fall vertical into the slot . Innova's captain seats would be the easy one to start with . Ofcourse a full seat with an arm rest in the middle would be the tricky option inviting lots of measurements and accuracy .
Advantages:-
* Ideal for laptop as tray is just on top of the lap.
*Works fine for body ergonomics and you don't have to lean forward or bend in order to eat or chatting on laptop.
*Since it is not attached to the front seat , It wont be annoying for the user who is sitting at the seat when the front passenger adjusts his seat.
* "I" think in case of bumpy roads one can still be able to use the laptop considering the fact if he/she install the tray in such a way that it is right above his thigh leaving minimum gap and giving him better control over laptop.

Cons:-
*Not easy to do and needs a lot of attention and knowledge from both user and fabricator's end.
*As GTO mentioned it is a safety hazard so one must ensure he/she is buckled up before even get the tray out.

I am attaching a pic of reference of the slot on the armrest. Sorry could not find a better picture with proper photo .

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 2236515)
Do you mean like this

This is exactly the one i saw at reliance auto zone. As you see, it hangs from the top ie head rest. Hence it is not fixed/fixable from the bottom. Hence in a moving car it has a rocking/swing effect

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivekiny2k (Post 2236556)
I suggest a folding laptop tray.

I too have a customised mini stool chair, for working while on bed. it very comfortable to work.

@Dhuli,

As GTO put it, the foldable trays are a source of injury in case of any heavy impact unless these are the plastic one which automatically collapse on some impact. Other wise they should be avoided. I must admit, I had admired the folding trays in the Xylo when I had taken a test drive.

I tried using the folding arm rest with the cup holder at the rear seat in my Fiesta for a couple of Coke cups and ended up spilling half on the seats on the great Indian roads. :Frustrati

Thanks ghodlur. After GTO's observation and now yours, I am rapidly loosing interest in these trays, especially since I would require custom fitting in an Innova. Saves me the trouble of sourcing them. Its a case of grapes are sour ;)